Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a 2014 John Deere 5075E to begin maintaining our family farm since my father has become sick. I would like to see if anyone can guide me on which gears to bush hog in, cut fire breaks, and anything else I might need to know. I have a 6 foot Bush Hog bush hog and plan to use a smaller killefer harrow to cut fire breaks. If anyone has any tips on making sure I am working in the appropiate gear and RPM's I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone has anything else tips with my 5075E I will gladly take them. Thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
The engine RPM will be set at a specific speed to run the rear PTO at 540 RPM. You then simply select whatever gear makes you go the ground speed you desire. It will be different for everyone depending on the terrain.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
240 Posts
You just have to judge how it's running while you're cutting. If the motor starts bogging and your PTO speed starts to slow noticeably then you are trying to cut too fast. In really heavy stuff I usually bushhog in Range B/2nd gear. (6th gear) In medium to fairly heavy grass I'm in Range B/3rd gear. (7th gear) In lighter grass I'll be in Range B/4th gear (8th gear) using the 540E PTO. I'm not sure if you have the 12x12 powershuttle tranny or the 9x3.

You just have to feel out the load on the machine. Kind of like when towing with you truck. When you should use your overdrive gears and when to turn your overdrive gears off. If you're tractor is feeling like the motor is being loaded too much you'll be able to tell, and at that point just start going down a gear or so. Also pay attention to whether your getting a good cut or if not you might be going too fast, or need to shapen your blades, etc. Rarely will I work in Range C unless I'm pulling a tedder, or a rake, or moving a bunch of bales, but there may be some other instances when you can use your higher gears for anything other than commuting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. Thanks so much for all the details. I really appreciate it. Would this be the same if I was using a small harrow cutting fire breaks? Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I doubt you'll want to get above 8th gear while disking. More specifically I don't think Range C is really ideal for pulling a plow thru the dirt. Some like to overanalyze how fast you should be going to turn the soil over or whatnot but as long as you're not going too slow. If you've got a small disk for a 5075E then you might see how it pulls it in 9th gear. I could be wrong and it pulls it fine, but I think 7th/8th will likely be your ideal disking gears.

I haven't disked with my 5075E, but I have used a disk plow on it. This disk plow would likely be great for cutting fire breaks. Unfortunately I had just hit a stump and took a chunk out one of the disks before I took this picture. I would love to start using my 5075E as more of a plow horse instead of mainly just a hay and bush hogging tractor though. Otherwise why do I need 4WD? We just no longer have much of a need for plowing like we did when I was a kid.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I wish I was a beginner on that unit.....One can only dream.

Sweet Machine.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Due to fact I've plowed 1000's of acres I think a gear that yields a speed of 4-6 MPH will be correct. Traveling slower cause rear tires to loose a higher % of traction & faster than 6 MPH causes plow to loose depth of penetration plus highly possibility of ridging of soil.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
if you have the ePTO feature, you should use it to save fuel. you can run tractor throttle at lower rpm while still achieving 540 pto. for a 6' mower you'll have more power than you need. Our 5075e loafs while pulling the 10' flex wing from rhino.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The best advice anyone ever gave me was :
"LISTEN to your tractor."
"SMELL your tractor"

If you hear the tractor/engine/hydraulics bogging down, losing speed, whining or screaching you are doing something wrong. Your equipment will tell you. Figure it out.

After a while, you will get to know the sounds and SMELLS of your tractor when it is happy. SMELLS HOT, stop and look for a problem, then drop down a gear. SMELL ANTIFREEZE look for a loose hose clamp, leaky hose, etc. SMELL DIESEL, look for a fuel leak

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hard to go wrong with B2 unless you want to go slower then go with A1 or A2 if you need to avoid any obstacles like around the house or barn. For 540 PTO you will need to set at 2100 RPMs if it’s like my 5115 but check your operators manual. With mine 540E is 1600 RPMs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My 5065 is real happy with B-2 on an average. 6' discs, 6' brush cutter, landscape rake, back blade, 90" grooming mower etc. If the going is light I have run at B-3 but it doesn't cut as clean as B-2. This is a feel for it situation. After running your tractor for a short while it will come to you naturally.
I started driving tractors when I was 11 years old. I remember my neighbor hollering at me when I was pulling logs out of the woods with a Case VAC tractor saying, "Put it into a gear it will pull it in and idle it down". "You're wasting gas". Back then gas was 12.9 cents a gallon. This is one of those things you never forget.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2014 John Deere 5075E to begin maintaining our family farm since my father has become sick. I would like to see if anyone can guide me on which gears to bush hog in, cut fire breaks, and anything else I might need to know. I have a 6 foot Bush Hog bush hog and plan to use a smaller killefer harrow to cut fire breaks. If anyone has any tips on making sure I am working in the appropiate gear and RPM's I would greatly appreciate it. If anyone has anything else tips with my 5075E I will gladly take them. Thank you in advance
A check on tractordata says a 5075 has 61 pto horsepower so I would think you cannot overpower most good 6' cutters. For peace of mind determine what the hp rating is for your shaft and gearbox. I have seen some really under rated shafts on cheap cutters, even seen a guy selling new yellow no brand cutters with series one shafts which I think are only rated for 35hp. They might last until the first big rock or stump.
Your cutting height and the thickness of the grass you are cutting will have a Lot to do with how fast you are able to travel. I like determining the cut height I am satisfied with (you may want to set the position lock on your 3 point lift lever) then figure out how fast I can go based on engine loading and terrain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts