Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to owning acreage and was hoping for some feedback on rakes. Frontier 6’ rake is 270lbs and $700 vs the Behlen at 242lbs and $500. Heavier seams better but is it worth the price difference. Feedback from anyone who has owned either would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
:wgtt:

I moved this to the correct forum...

Reactions: PJR832 and 503dirt

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I understand correctly, the Frontier landscape rake is made by Woods. I have a 60" Woods I'm very happy with.

As far as the weight, that may depend on what you're doing. I've had times when I'd like to have a bit more weight on mine. Mainly when I'm trying to rake when there's rocks just under the dirt. I could add weight fairly easily, but for now I'm just adjusting the angle on the rake so the tines dig a bit better.

Living in a wooded area, I've been raking fire lines, leaves, and ground debris. In those situations, the weight is just fine and doesn't dig too deep.

I had a Land Pride 72" before it and it did a heckuva job. The tines rounded more and dug a bit better, but it wasn't as good in the woods. A bit of a trade-off. The main reason I got rid of it was it was too wide for the confines between the trees I was working in. The 60" works better.

Something to keep in mind is the components, particularly where the tines are bolted in. Some of the angle iron rakes have been known to twist the angle iron if it gets caught on something.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Which specific models of each brand are you comparing? Frontier makes several different 6' landscape rakes.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Which specific models of each brand are you comparing? Frontier makes several different 6' landscape rakes.
jgayman is correct and not all are made the same.

You need to looked at how the tines are mounted on a Land scape rake. Some of the designs lend themselves to bending and early failure. The rakes that simply use a piece of angle iron as the mounting point are the ones I stayed away from, they do not seem as well built. The tartar one I have has a clamping style with thicker pieces of metal. Usually the lighter an implement is made the cheaper it is. If you search on here this a post about a frontier rake that bent up on the first or second use. It had a pretty flimsy (in my mind) build to it.

You can get Tartar brand equipment from Southern States among other vendors. They also make implements for TSC and other companies. The Behlen I was looking at on line appears to be a Tartar type design, not sure if they make them for Behlen or not and I am not sure if it is the one you are considering.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If you're going to be doing some landscape work with it, such as final grading, you'll want something with guide wheels or at least the ability to add them at a later date.

I scored a 5' Landpride last spring for $300, which was a bargain. It didn't have the guide wheels, but I knew they could be added. The rake was the cheap part. I went with the wide, pneumatic, guide wheels and also added the flip down plow blade----at $970.00 additional. It was a bunch, but I'd rather pay extra for quality than throw money away on junk.

Reactions: PJR832 and 503dirt

·
Registered
14 Posts
I seldom promote any brand as everyone of them has faults and failures to think they do not is foolish. With that said I recently bought a 60" Titan with wheels cost $600 with Pa. tax and though I have yet to use it due to the season I will say it is well made and weight is plenty heavy enough, if you need a rake over 325# you need another tool than a rake. I have done landscaping for 40+ years and pulled every rake made at one time or another and this Titan LRAKE 5' is as good as any also ALOT better than the usual TSC brands Tarter,etc. of which I have tried a few that did not hold up on rocks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Rakes on a SCUT

Hello,
New to owning acreage and was hoping for some feedback on rakes. Frontier 6’ rake is 270lbs and $700 vs the Behlen at 242lbs and $500. Heavier seams better but is it worth the price difference. Feedback from anyone who has owned either would be much appreciated. Thanks
If you are running a SCUT, you may want to consider the lift height.

I picked up a used Woods LR72. It is a well built, heavy duty unit. It works well with my 1025R and is iMatch compatible. But, one problem - because the SCUT has a limited cat 1, it can't lift the rake very high. At full lift, it sometimes digs in when I go through a slight dip in the yard. I can shorten the top link to get a little more lift, but the bottom line is that with the limited cat 1, it won't raise very high.

If you are using a 1 series, I would suggest considering your terrain and how well a particular unit meets your lift height requirements. Occasionally digging a divot in the yard might be annoying. Unintentionally catching roots on the trail when you have the rake in the raised position could become downright aggravating. Raising the rake to back over a pile of brush or rubble, then dropping it to move forward may not always work.

In my case, the rake works well despite the cat 1 lift height limitation, because I will be using it mainly to back drag and smooth over low spots after I fill them in. I also picked up a pair of Titan wheels that might help in some situations.

I'm not sure if rake is raised to max height in the attached pics, but if not, it's pretty close.

Having said all that, if you have a full cat 1, then this is probably much less of a problem. (You can add your equipment list to your signature block to give us a better idea of what you are working with.)

Attachments

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Behlen model #80110630YEL Frontier model #LR5072

I’m pulling with a 49hp Deere. Thanks
While the boom is slightly different on each, the tine cross bar looks very similar.

LR5072a.jpg Behler.jpg

I couldn't find any horsepower rating for the Behlen but the Frontier LR5072 is only rated for 38HP max. I have a LR5060 that I use on my 30HP 2720 and I am very happy with it.

I see Behlen does make a wheel kit. JD does not offer a wheel kit for the LR5-series but the Tartar wheels fit just fit and are very heavy duty. I have a set on mine. They cost MUCH less than a wheel kit from JD. The Tartar currently costs $200 from Rural King.

IMG_1554.jpg

For your tractor you may want to consider the Frontier LR2172. It is rated for up to 55HP. Actually, I don't think Frontier makes a landscape rake rated for more than 55HP. Unlike the LR5000-series, JD does offer a gauge wheel kit for the LR2100-series, although it costs $487.

LR2172a.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, old thread...but I found it through a google search. Anyway looking for a set of gauge wheels for my Woods rake. Wondering which would be easier to modify for it? Tartar or the King Kutter wheel kit? Anybody done this? Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
443 Posts
IPlumb - I picked up that same rake, and bought a pair of gauge wheels from Titan that I plan to adapt. I got them online (through WalMart, I think) for about $150.

• The mounting plate has 2 holes 4" apart so the holes will line up with the tine bolts.
  • Between the holes in the mounting plate, is a third hole to accommodate the head of the bolt that is between the two mounting bolts.
  • I plan to bolt mine on the 3rd and fifth tines from the end due to interference with the vertical brace that is between the 1st and 2nd tine.
  • Unfortunately, the mounting bracket will hit the edge of the heads of the second row of bolts. A smaller bolt may solve the clearance problem, or I may have to grind off some material?\.

That's the plan. It has just been too cold to go out and work on it.

Re the quality of the Titan wheels, they look pretty well built. The quality of the welds and powder coat looks good. The tires are solid filled, so no worry about flats.

On the other hand, you may be able to flip the upper arm of the rural king unit over and bolt them right on.

I'll try to post a few photos in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IPlumb - I picked up that same rake, and bought a pair of gauge wheels from Titan that I plan to adapt. I got them online (through WalMart, I think) for about $150.

• The mounting plate has 2 holes 4" apart so the holes will line up with the tine bolts.
  • Between the holes in the mounting plate, is a third hole to accommodate the head of the bolt that is between the two mounting bolts.
  • I plan to bolt mine on the 3rd and fifth tines from the end due to interference with the vertical brace that is between the 1st and 2nd tine.
  • Unfortunately, the mounting bracket will hit the edge of the heads of the second row of bolts. A smaller bolt may solve the clearance problem, or I may have to grind off some material?\.

That's the plan. It has just been too cold to go out and work on it.

Re the quality of the Titan wheels, they look pretty well built. The quality of the welds and powder coat looks good. The tires are solid filled, so no worry about flats.

On the other hand, you may be able to flip the upper arm of the rural king unit over and bolt them right on.

I'll try to post a few photos in the next couple of days.
Pictures would be very helpful! I’ve looked at those online and the wheels looked very narrow? Good to hear it’s nicely built. They will be far enough out to clear The tines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
Overdue pics of gauge wheels

Finally got a break in the weather and hooked up the Titan gauge wheels to my Woods LR 72 landscape rake. It's not the best looking setup and with a little time, patience and skill, one could do a much more professional-looking job. But this setup is good enough for me and it looks like it is going to work. The three tines that are under the mounting plates are only held on with 1 bolt instead of two so they may be prone to twisting. If they do I'll figure something out, but if not, no use fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Attachments

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Here is a pic of my Land Pride 8ft landscape/rock rake. I put the wheel kit on it after I got it. I bought the wheel kit from Rural King and it is from Tarter. The price was $187.97 delivered in early 2015. Works fine, but you cannot back up when the wheels are on the ground as it will not swivel 360 degrees. I have been using it this spring to re-work driveways. In fact, I hauled it 30 miles yesterday to re-work the driveway at a Kansas Grange Hall that someone had done some dados in. Ruts were about 4 inches deep. I use the hyd top link to control how much it digs. Once I have the gravel dug up, I then reduce the dig of the tines and let it smooth out. The Land Pride was not iMatch compatible and I had to drill a new hole for the top pin, but it works great now.

Dave

20180311_121921.jpg

·
Registered
443 Posts
... Works fine, but you cannot back up when the wheels are on the ground as it will not swivel 360 degrees. ...
The tines on my setup get in the way of 360 degree rotation also, but I just back up anyways and hope for no adverse events... I haven't used it a lot, but so far, so good.

The wheel setup definitely makes the rake more useful and easy to manage - much easier and less frustrating than trying to level things out by back dragging with the bucket.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
The tines on my setup get in the way of 360 degree rotation also, but I just back up anyways and hope for no adverse events... I haven't used it a lot, but so far, so good.
Most rakes and gauge wheels are setup this way. Typically this isn't a problem as you're really not supposed to push backwards on the landscape rake tines. If you need to rake while going in reverse you should rotate the rake 180-degrees.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Below are a couple photos of my Land Pride landscape rake depicting the Land Pride gauge wheels and the flip down blade. I picked the rake up used for $300. That was the cheap part. The wheel kit and the flip down blade totaled up to $900 and some change. Ouch! However, like everything Land Pride, they are definitely heavy duty, well thought out, and performs well.

The gauge wheels do rotate 360 degrees, which was something I was looking for. Not so much for backing up, but I'm going to fabricate a stand for the front of it, with some heavy duty casters, so I can roll it around the shop as well as up to the tractor. This should simplify attaching/detaching the rake, as well.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Here is a pic of my Land Pride 8ft landscape/rock rake. I put the wheel kit on it after I got it. I bought the wheel kit from Rural King and it is from Tarter. The price was $187.97 delivered in early 2015. Works fine, but you cannot back up when the wheels are on the ground as it will not swivel 360 degrees. I have been using it this spring to re-work driveways. In fact, I hauled it 30 miles yesterday to re-work the driveway at a Kansas Grange Hall that someone had done some dados in. Ruts were about 4 inches deep. I use the hyd top link to control how much it digs. Once I have the gravel dug up, I then reduce the dig of the tines and let it smooth out. The Land Pride was not iMatch compatible and I had to drill a new hole for the top pin, but it works great now.

Dave

View attachment 573257
They are $199.97 now. I just ordered a set for my LR2172. Thanks for sharing your source info.... Of course, I will spray mine JD Green before installing......lol

Sincerely

·
Registered
96 Posts
They are $199.97 now. I just ordered a set for my LR2172. Thanks for sharing your source info.... Of course, I will spray mine JD Green before installing......lol

Sincerely
Would love to see some pics of it on your 2172. I’ve got a Frontier LR2184 I’m considering getting them for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts