Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An off duty Texas game warden was hunting on state land and heard some activity going on nearby and went to investigate. A bullet hit him in the chest and he quickly found himself in need of help.
Chris Fried Support | Medical Expenses - YouCaring.com

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20131230a

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20131231a

I've watched game wardens at work and have seen some of the dangers they face. It's common for hunters to drink before, during, and after hunting. Combine that with firearms and bad attitudes and it makes an already dangerous job even more so for those in this branch of law enforcement. Many of them here work alone and are often far from backup should they need it.

Thankfully, the game warden is out of the hospital and back at home. The two individuals suspected of being involved in the shooting were located and arrested.

Edit: It is being said that the bullet actually first entered the right shoulder and lodged in the chest.

·
Premium Member
14,724 Posts
Sounds like a very luck man, but looks like he is on the mend , prayers to him and his family. Good to hear they arrested the two .

·
Registered
383 Posts
My sister in law is a agent of the Federal Fish and Wildlife Service and lives in the middle of the Balcones Canyonlands
National Wildlife Refuge near Austin, TX. She said that she sometimes observes people trying to hunt there. There are also two Rangers living on the Wildlife Refuge and they can get into action immediately. Luckily, nobody was ever hurt there.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My sister in law is a agent of the Federal Fish and Wildlife Service and lives in the middle of the Balcones Canyonlands
National Wildlife Refuge near Austin, TX. She said that she sometimes observes people trying to hunt there. There are also two Rangers living on the Wildlife Refuge and they can get into action immediately. Luckily, nobody was ever hurt there.
Yeah, poaching is really bad in some areas. Then you also have the other stuff that goes on that isn't wildlife related.
I can't speak for game wardens elsewhere, but Texas uses them for other types of law enforcement too.
Have met some really nice ones and never had any issues.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Yeah, poaching is really bad in some areas. Then you also have the other stuff that goes on that isn't wildlife related.
I can't speak for game wardens elsewhere, but Texas uses them for other types of law enforcement too.
Have met some really nice ones and never had any issues.
Like everything else, I've met some REALLY nice ones, and met some that were on a "power trip", and weren't worth a dime.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like everything else, I've met some REALLY nice ones, and met some that were on a "power trip", and weren't worth a dime.
Kind of like most any other positions of authority, there are always good and bad. Have heard plenty of horror stories about some. It takes a special kind of person to do the job well and deal with the public.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some Sectors of the Human Race, are reaching a new time Low! The respect for human Life, is being degraded continiously. Sad! Prayers to the Victims, and Familys.......
I agree in so many ways. A person can get pretty disgusted if you dwell on it long enough. Look at how so many new jails have been built or expanded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts