Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched (no, really - I did) but after ten pages I got bored without finding the answer: what is the proper tension for the 54MMM blade drive belt? Is there a measurement or a deflection (on a lot of cars they will tell you to depress the longest run of the belt a certain amount)?

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
I searched (no, really - I did) but after ten pages I got bored without finding the answer: what is the proper tension for the 54MMM blade drive belt? Is there a measurement or a deflection (on a lot of cars they will tell you to depress the longest run of the belt a certain amount)?
:dunno::dunno: isn't it spring loaded? if ur spring is old-get a new one-good luck.:good2:

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
:dunno::dunno: isn't it spring loaded? if ur spring is old-get a new one-good luck.:good2:
Has to be spring tension, I have yet to see a Deere without it.

·
Administrator
17,513 Posts
Yes there is a spring on the idler that sets the tension, like #12 in this picture:

MP8773_________UN01JAN94.jpg

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pardon my ignorance

It is spring loaded, but I thought that might be adjustable. It only has 100 hours on it so I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
It is spring loaded, but I thought that might be adjustable. It only has 100 hours on it so I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it.
:laugh: it is adjustable-only in how good the spring is-ok.

my old wheel horse had a slide that was hooked by a spring-but that slide would get in bad shape over time-so u would have to either replace the parts in it-along with a new spring back then-if them parts didn't work correctly-then yeah-ur blades didn't spin fast enough to cut the grass.

as long as ur ends of the spring is hooked-thats it. done.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Yet another day that I learn something. So the rule is: spring loaded belt tensioning is always going to work, and I never have to think about it. Just like non serviceable grease fittings on cars and light bulbs that never burn out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts