Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this sitting out by the road for pickup, so I snagged it.
DSCN4524.JPG DSCN4525.JPG DSCN4526.JPG

It has 3/8" plate but it's too tall for my needs. Took the old Sears drill press off and cut 7" out of the pipe. That will put the plate around 36" off the floor. I wanted more weight at the wheel so I bolted an old brake drum inside of it and slid 2 brake rotors onto the the pipe before welding things back together. I have room for my 6" bench grinder and another motor with a wire wheel on it to mount. I am going to drill mounting holes before welding the pipe as I can do that on my big drill press.
I'll get some more pics today! Anyone want the old Sears drill press?

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts
Nice find! A little concrete will go a long ways to adding weight to that wheel as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got one just like it! It was Grandpa's. :good2:

Nice find on the stand!
Thia one is still in very good condition. Just no need for it! NOT gonna trash it! I'll find someone that wants it!

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Is that to mount a "hand" electric drill to?
Looks like a Pontiac wheel.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that to mount a "hand" electric drill to?
Looks like a Pontiac wheel.
Yes on the drill. Here's a manual for it and another pic with a drill in one.
13450-A.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a home for the drill press! Caught a neighbor who had seen pics not one in person. Said he had a drill at home that would fit it. So he took it with him, gonna bring me something for the trade!

Whilst in the shop, I got the stand finished (no paint). Here's the bottom part:
DSCN4527.JPG

I turned the top over to mark holes locations.
DSCN4528.JPG

Took that and drilled the holes to 11/32". Here I was doing a trial run for fit.
DSCN4529.JPG DSCN4530.JPG

Needed two fasteners for the switch box on the wire wheel motor, so I drilled and tapped for 8-32 bolts.
DSCN4531.JPG

Got everything mounted and welded the top post in 3 places for now, wanna see if I need to remove some weight.
DSCN4532.JPG

Made some debris deflectors for the grinder, just in case they are needed.
DSCN4533.JPG

Now to find a spot to put it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts