Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out Rustic Table For DIL Maria for the background on this bench to go with the table.

I had to trim the legs for the mounting plates . . . thus the creation of a fixture to hold each leg secure while I notch it for each mounting plate and hanger bolt setup.

I wanted to be able to use my table saw and it would have to be real secure to hold-up to the table saw's 10" blade and vibration. A little nervous I cautious cut the first vertical cut in a leg which went surprisingly well. I planned to make the second cut with the table saw also but then changed over to the band saw.

IMG-3601.jpg IMG-3602.jpg IMG-3603.jpg IMG-3605.jpg

Then the horizontal cut and results using the band saw.
IMG-3606.jpg IMG-3607.jpg

The fixture also worked well holding each leg while I drilled holes for the 'hanging bolts'.

Initial assembly for fit indicated I was on the right track, things were going as planned.

Legs and aprons will be white and the table was stained top/bottom. The first coat of Arm-R-Seal has been applied to the top and underside of the seat . . . they're drying as I type here.

IMG-3608.jpg IMG-3609.jpg

Missey went to get the primer and sealer from Maria. I'll be ready when she returns . . .

More later . . .

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Nice work Marlin!
Thumbs up2.gif

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Very nice @Marlin, love to see your woodworking projects.

(y):cool:(y)

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Nice work as usual Marlin. (y)

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found these two pictures of the 'raw-wood' start/glue-up.

Raw Start #1.jpg

Raw Start #2.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Very nice job. Looks great.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This bench build is done except for a couple of 'hanger bolts' I waiting on for the legs. I'm a little concerned that there's no cross brace between the legs. Scooting your fanny sideways on the bench will challenge their mounting.

Any body have an idea how to strengthen the legs up? I have several thoughts . . .

1) Add a 3/8" lag through the top into each leg. Whether there will be enough material thickness to plug the countersink is questionable. And having the head on the seat is unacceptable.
2) Then I thought maybe adding a 3/8" oak dowel pin say 4" long through the top might be good?
3) And finally, just leave it alone.

Suggestions anyone?
IMG-3617.jpg

IMG-3618.jpg

IMG-3619.jpg IMG-3620.jpg IMG-3621.jpg

IMG-3622.jpg

nice extension table — gotta make one of those (I have that same saw too).
DBCSteve ~ Yea the saw is good for what I'm doing and with the mobile stand fairly transportable using the 1026R w/forks. Right now I'm adding leveling feet to the cabinet/extension so the entire length is flat/level.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
My dining room table has something like this under it. Just spit balling here Marlin

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dining room table has something like this under it. Just spit balling here Marlin

View attachment 780177
Kbar ~ Well that's is exactly what I have under the seat/ You can see them here, I added a third hole that holds the bracket to the seat.

The apron is glued to the seat and there's a screw within inches on each side of the leg.

IMG-3624.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Marlin, I do wood working , but you beat hands down... beautiful work as usual... (y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marlin, I do wood working , but you beat hands down... beautiful work as usual... (y) (y) (y)

etcallhome ~ You and everyone else here are too kind. I'm no expert but I'm learning and not afraid to dive into about anything. I didn't have a whole lot of woodworking tools when I started a year ago or so. I've gradually added few as I can afford them,

I'd need a better dust collector system beyond the 6 hp Shop Vac I have . . . but you're talking $500 and up, so I'm waiting for some ca$h to move forward.

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Same here for a dust collector , so I use 3 different shop vac, all with
either a
The Dustopper - A dust separator that takes a new spin on dust control or

Sure has made it nice not having to clean the filter in the vac every time I empty the 5 gal bucket of saw dust

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Very Unpredictable Disposition
14,574 Posts
Gene, I've been looking into the Dust Deputy. How do you like it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts