Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody. Got another project I’ve been putting off. After too many very heavy logs being set on these splitter supports, I’m going to have to some how bend some metal back. They are sagging too much. Anybody have some advice on how to do that? I assume it’s going to take some heat and the hottest I have is map gas.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I agree about taking current ones off. Once bent they weaken and will rebend easily. If you don't have a welder find a local welding shop.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,249 Posts
I would grind the supports off and make new stronger supports.
I agree about taking current ones off. Once bent they weaken and will rebend easily. If you don't have a welder find a local welding shop.
Personally, I'd cut those L-brackets off and mount stronger tabs with cross support (so it looks more like a triangle instead of an L shape.)Maybe find a hobby welder around you if you don't have a welder yourself?

Point.jpg

I agree :good2: with these replies.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Agree with the above posts. If you do bend them back you will need to weld gussets on so they won't bend again. And if angle is stitch welded under the plate it won't bend up either. Probably best to start from scratch and get new brackets made (with gussets) and a new heavier plate. If you lived nearby I would fix you up.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,732 Posts
Yup, you definitely need some new thicker iron there and maybe a thicker base plate.

Local welding shop or welder shouldn't cost too much for a simple upgrade like that.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Just remember, presumably everything has a design. If this is the weakest link (and it is on mine as well, I have fixed them numerous times) and you beef them up, something else is now the weak link. You might not like what breaks instead. I left the 1/4" bolts that hold the brackets on as well. Personally I would fix that no stronger than it is and keep doing that. JM2C

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the offer, Kick. How about I try this: With the supports back on, I raise the splitter an inch off the ground and put something under the supports. I then jump on the rail or maybe get the 2032 involved. If they bent one way, maybe they’ll bend the other way. Maybe even hit it with a little map gas?

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Where do you live in central WI? I can fix that in no time. If you don't want to post it msg me.

If you have a vise, a pipe wrench and a pipe to fit on the wrench with the map gas you might be able to get the heat to help bend it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mdrew that’s what I’ll try. I just wanted to make sure the map gas wasn’t a terrible idea or a waste of time. T-minus 6 days for the attempt. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Mdrew that’s what I’ll try. I just wanted to make sure the map gas wasn’t a terrible idea or a waste of time. T-minus 6 days for the attempt. Pics to follow.
I don't know the exact numbers and it probably differs based on what you have for tips but MAPP and Oxygen Acetylene are pretty close in temp. I know I was looking at it once and I was shocked at how hot MAPP is. I tend to agree with the others that replacing the bent part is best but you should be able to heat it quite well with MAPP. It will take a bit more time and maybe have a spare tank or two but it will heat it enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts