Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to bend some 1 1/4 to 2" pipe. What would be a good way to do this? Use a press? I've been to Northern tool and looked at their presses,but didnt see any accessories for it. Any links and/or advise appreciated!

·
Banned
747 Posts
Also, do you mean pipe or tube? A lot of people assume the two are the same, and they are not. Pipe is measured internally, while tube is measured externally. Bending tube in a pipe bender will generally cause it to kink because the dies are different between the two benders.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
dangit...I just wrote a long discertation,and I know I was logged in,but as soon as I hit "submit reply", it said I was not logged in ...and wouldnt post it.

Thanks for the link! I called and they have a set ordered for me. (They were out, so I didnt see'em) Now if I had of saw them and they didnt have any.....the heat might be getting to me:lol:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
phew....my post went thru!!:thumbup1gif:

Anyways,I've been in hvAC for 34 years now....I didnt realize the difference in nomenclature of tubing vs pipe.Learn something new everyday!! We go by outside diameter on the copper tube,whereas plumbers go by inside diameter. So ,aint no telling how many times I've embarrassed myself walking into a plumbing supply house wanting to buy copper "tubing". I wondered why they looked at me funny.....:tongue:

Thanks for the info. Since I dont have the pipe/tubing yet.I'll make sure it matches up to the bender!You probably just saved me some frustration!

·
Banned
747 Posts
Hey, no problem, and I can relate. I'm a former Pro Motorcycle Mechanic, and have been wrenching on and off since I was 16, and I'm 58 now. I didn't know the diff till I started hanging out at weldingweb and the garagejournal.

Here's a good link from hossfeld, one of the bigger players in the bender equipment field:

http://www.hossfeldbender.com/faqs/#4

Also, if you want to learn more than you thought possible in pipe/tube fabrication then you have to check this board, and in particular, the threads on building your own bender.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/

Finally, if you do decide to build your own bender then check this out. I have the plans, but won't tackle building it till I retire in a couple of years:

http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm

phew....my post went thru!!:thumbup1gif:

Anyways,I've been in hvAC for 34 years now....I didnt realize the difference in nomenclature of tubing vs pipe.Learn something new everyday!! We go by outside diameter on the copper tube,whereas plumbers go by inside diameter. So ,aint no telling how many times I've embarrassed myself walking into a plumbing supply house wanting to buy copper "tubing". I wondered why they looked at me funny.....:tongue:

Thanks for the info. Since I dont have the pipe/tubing yet.I'll make sure it matches up to the bender!You probably just saved me some frustration!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts