Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea how this happened but I'vet managed to bend the auger on my 59" front mounted snowblower (mounted on Deere 3720). Apparently the left auger tip near the side of the blower is hitting the skid shoe. Naturally I broke a shear pin but didn't realize why until I broke a second shear pin and began investigating. The bend in the auger tip isn't very apparent to the eye and the auger rotates freely with the shear pin out. Once a shear pin is installed, it will tighten up enough to cause the tip to hit the shoe if there's a enough lateral force. Oddly, it worked fine for about about an hour before breaking the 2nd shear pin this afternoon.

Any suggestions on how to bend the auger back to normal? My typical hillbilly approach would include a MAPP torch and beat it into submission with a 4lb hammer but there's not enough room to take a good swing at it. My other thought is to flip the skid shoes to the outside of the blower bucket and call it a day.

Attachments

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
12,997 Posts
If you have a big adjustable wrench, slide it over the end of the auger, adjust to the thickness of the metal and bend the tip away from the shoe.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Looking at last picture seems it’s the sidewall of blower that needs to be bent out?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at last picture seems it’s the sidewall of blower that needs to be bent out?
Yes, I was thinking about that too. It appeared to be OK when I inspected it but I'm going to take another look tomorrow. Perhaps the sidewall of the blower was somehow bent which caused the the auger to hit the skid shoe and then bend the auger.

The puzzling thing is that I've never had any accidents or hit any objects with the snowblower.

Thanks for the adjustable wrench idea-- great idea!

Reactions: tj1 and etcallhome

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
If I’m not mistaken the augers can be adjusted left to right by loosening the set screw on the side hub where the shear bolt is used. You may have one that loosened and allowed the auger to move outward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes, I was thinking about that too. It appeared to be OK when I inspected it but I'm going to take another look tomorrow. Perhaps the sidewall of the blower was somehow bent which caused the the auger to hit the skid shoe and then bend the auger.

The puzzling thing is that I've never had any accidents or hit any objects with the snowblower.

Thanks for the adjustable wrench idea-- great idea!
I think this is what happened, chute pushed in and auger hit the shoe, and bent.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If you have a big adjustable wrench, slide it over the end of the auger, adjust to the thickness of the metal and bend the tip away from the shoe.
Just be sure to use a metric adjustable wrench and not a standard one. Everything on John Deere tractors is metric... :nunu:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As stated, pipe wrench or Chinese left hand adjustable, whichever is easiest accessible.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Use a carpenters square to determine whether the side wall of the housing has been bent in. That's not unusual, as the housing gets a lot of side loading when trying to crowd the snow bank. Both my Model 47 and Model 59 have some deflection.

I would suggest moving the skid shoe to the outside of the housing and rotating it so the narrow side is on the inside of the housing. That should open up enough clearance on the inside of the housing so the auger doesn't contact the skid shoe.

If you are going to use an adjustable wrench to flex the auger, you will likely need a 24" wrench with a persuader, as the auger is some stiff.

Dave

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The housing for sure looks bent.I would start there.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
Taking what Frank (superglidesport) stated, look at the gearbox and see if the auger is away from the box more than a 1/8" or so... if it's larger than the space on the other auger adjust it and see if it still hits the shoe, they should both have about 1/8" space from the gearbox.. The side does appear to be bent in on one picture and there at numerous posts on stiffing up the blower housing in that area..

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Premium Member
12,997 Posts
Is the skid shoe suppose to be on the inside or the outside of the housing ? Mine are on the outside.
There are no hard rules. You are free to mount them on the inside or outside. I believe mounting them on the outside allows you to mount them lower without interference.

I have mine mounted on the outside as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts