Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last year while mowing with my rear mount finish mower I hooked a rear wheel on a tree. :banghead:

Recently I dug it out of the barn and cleaned it up. I intend to sell the mower so I would like to fix the tire fork. A replacement fork is $115 and I don't want to invest that in something I intend to sell.

I was able to straighten some of the mess, but the top section I just can't get the right position to work out the bends.

So my question to those that have hydraulic presses and other neat tools, is this fixable?

20190502_073847.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
With a little heat and pressure everything is fixable. depends on how much time you want to put in it. If selling get it close and away it goes. :good2:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Let it sail as is...

Being that it spins , swivels and rotates its going to take some time to return it to normal.

However if you insist...I'd anchor the mower and try to pull the wheel back forward first as this would be the easiest of the bends. ( chain to each side of wheel by the axle) Taking the sideways bend out will take more work. Theres not an easy way I see to get it in a press without removing the wheel and then you will lose alignment between the 2 tangs and axel hole.
Pulling the wheel back forward should help and you could shim one side of the wheel to keep it from dragging

Find the offending tree and back into it....if only it was that easy.

Knock off 50 bucks and let it go... You may do more damage to the rest of the unit trying to save a few bucks.
Your not going to make it look like it never happened without a fight or just buying the new part.

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think the mounting bracket on the mower would support trying to adjust it with chains while on the deck. Likely I would just bend something else... :laugh: :banghead:

I got the forks back decent enough. It is the top piece where the shaft mounts that has a "twist" to it that I cannot get to. The jaws of my vise are too big to get a good bite on it.

I've got a couple ideas, but I thought I would ask before I get out a big forward fornicating assault apparatus.

:munch:

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tada!

20190524_172739.jpg

A local machine shop fixed this pretty darn good for $25.

:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,196 Posts
Looks pretty darn good too!! :thumbup1gif:

What size is it? How much? Do you deliver? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
493 Posts
rtgt- You shared your first photo on my recent post about getting my RMFM hung up in the trees without bending or breaking metal.

Since you are located in the state south of me, I could send Capt. Obvious over with a cold 30-rack of beer to provide some unsolicited advice.

Great job getting the wheel yoke straightened out for $25; Most of the towns and villages near us have small welding or fabrication shops, with one or two handy people who can perform short turn around repairs.

Brian

Late last year while mowing with my rear mount finish mower I hooked a rear wheel on a tree. :banghead:

Recently I dug it out of the barn and cleaned it up. I intend to sell the mower so I would like to fix the tire fork. A replacement fork is $115 and I don't want to invest that in something I intend to sell.

I was able to straighten some of the mess, but the top section I just can't get the right position to work out the bends.

So my question to those that have hydraulic presses and other neat tools, is this fixable?

View attachment 684088

1 - 8 of 8 Posts