Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my mower deck wheel is bent while cleaning the deck today. I don't even know how it happened but I am wondering how to fix it. Looks like the bracket on the deck itself may be bent. I'm hoping I don't have to have it straightened and welded back on. I'm hoping even more I don't need a new deck! Any thoughts on a fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
I don't think it is bent, the mount looks like it is cut that way on purpose. I would take your pictures to the dealer and compare with another deck of same model.

·
Premium Member
14,132 Posts
A couple years ago I bent my looked like yours. Took a long pry bar inserted in the bracket and and in where the wheel axle mounts. Took a little prying but was able to get it back in place.

After getting it back in place took a 3/8" bar bent it as close as I could to match the left side bracket. Raised it high enough when I welded that I still could tighten or loosen the nuts for the discharge chute.

No problems since .

·
Registered
667 Posts
If anything the part that actually holds the wheel may have bent, if so, remove it from deck, clamp in a vice, use some appropriate size steel tube to slide over each side of the yoke, and bend the wheel yokes back into position (straight with the yoke shaft).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Ashokan1, Can we get a picture from the side with the chute lifted?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The deck is about 8 years old.

Some of the welds all around the deck do have some paint cracking around them but are solid. The side of the deck near the wheel bracket does look like it may be slightly pushed in toward the center. But nothing jumps out significantly as being cracked to damaged. Is it possible this is close to the way it's always been and I never noticed?

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Bloodrunsgreen

The deck in your pic appears to be different as all 4 wheels appear to have upward offsets on the pic. Mine has the two wheel brackets in the rear that offset the wheel upwards as well as the front left. The front right on mine is level with the deck.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Now I'm curious. There isn't any support behind the front of the deck where the wheels brackets are welded on?

·
Registered
437 Posts
You could put a square on the front of the deck to get an idea how much it is bent. Should be pretty square with the top of the deck.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ashokan1, Can yo get a pic with the discharge chute up, and with the front part of the deck, but more of the deck's front edge, looking to see if the edge is pushed back (out of perpendicular)?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm thinking the front lower edge of your deck is caved in with evidence of the torn welds.
View attachment 692208
It certainly is cracked. Cracked paint is a dead giveaway of flex in the metal.

Is the wheel extended all the way down like in the pic during operation? That is allowing additional leverage on the bracket and could be why you have a bent arm.
I don't think this is a over time stress issue tho.. Looks like a sudden strike against something and folded the wheel towards the deck.. Looks like the weld held but the deck failed and pulled apart.

I would take the deck off and to a welding shop and get their opinion..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys pointed me right to where I needed to look, right in front of me.

It appears as if the front right lower side of the deck took the brunt of the hit leveraged by the lowered wheel. Now I need to see if I can bend it back or bring it to the welder to fix as suggested. Notice the left side of the deck has that top support rod attaching the front wheel bracket to the rear. They didn't do that on the right side and it may have been saved if they did. I might look into fabricating a piece to support the front and rear side right wheel brackets once I get it back to position.

I have a long metal digging pry bar that might fit in the bracket to bend it back. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yep, that sucker caved right it, didn't it? If it were me, I would remove it from the tractor, and rig up a some come alongs, use some bars, and get it back to straight. Once straight, perhaps weld on a perimeter flat bar for support.... heck that might not even be needed. If you are not comfortable straightening it, the good news is it would be a breeze for a auto collision shop or metal fabricator to get you back square. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So that pulled out fairly easily with a long pry bar. Still needs a bit of tweaking but I'm close. There are holes on the wheel brackets that a bolt-on rod across from front to rear could be fabricated to help in preventing this again. Otherwise it's a weld job to strengthen the front wall of the deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Same thing happened to my deck. Same wheel too. Like 'et', I took the deck off, took the wheel out of the bracket, stood on top of the deck put a 6 foot pry bar in the hole and gently pulled it back into shape. I'm not sure why it happened in the first place.
I wonder if a piece of 3/8 round rod, a piece of rebar or a piece of flat stock welded horizontally across the bottom of the grass chute would stiffen up the deck around the chute so it doesn't bend again. It couldn't be too big so that it didn't cause the grass to clog the chute.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I have a wheel on my deck that looks like that :hide: I haven't tried to fix it yet that's next weekends project since I had to work yesterday

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Interesting that we are up to three decks with the same bent bracket.

I haven't seen where anyone has said - OK, I clobbered xxxxx and bent this.

I am wondering if little bumps are gradually bending this wheel / bracket over time.

I would certainly be looking at a way to reinforce this area.

·
Premium Member
14,132 Posts
Here are a couple of photos I posted when my deck was bent,, not as bad as yours but close and my fix
Since adding the brace on the right side no other problem

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts