Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Per Brian's request, here is the recipe for the Berry (I always use raspberries) Oatmeal Muffins:

3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup berries (I use the small clam shell container of Driscoll's berries)

Topping:
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (I use 2 tsp as we like cinnamon)

Preheat oven to 400. This will make 6 large muffins or 12 small muffins, put paper muffin cups in muffin tin.
In a large bowl, mix oats, wheat germ, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in milk, oil and egg just until dry ingredients are evenly moist. Fold in berries*. Scoop batter into muffin cups in the muffin tin.

Make topping in a separate bowl and sprinkle over batter. Press topping down lightly with the back of a spoon.

Bake for 20 minutes (for small muffins), 25 minutes (for large muffins) or until a knife inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.

*Note: I use a ground beef masher or potato masher to break the berries up a bit after they are folded in the batter.

Registered
Thanks Jamie.
I can honestly say I've never used wheat germ for anything before but it's on my grocery list.
:bigthumb:

Administrator
I will add this to the GTT cookbook. :good2:

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jamie.
I can honestly say I've never used wheat germ for anything before but it's on my grocery list.
:bigthumb:
Brian I should've mentioned that my grocery store carries regular wheat germ and a honey crunch wheat germ. I use the honey crunch, but the original recipe doesn't specify that. I too had never used it for anything and now finding myself putting it on yogurt and ice cream. It adds a nice slightly sweet crunch

Administrator
CP, what section of the GTT cookbook do you want this in?

Corndog Hater
Discussion Starter #7
CP, what section of the GTT cookbook do you want this in?
I would put it in the breakfast section.

One other thing I forgot to mention. I have never been able to get these to store in such a way as to keep the topping crunchy. So, we just pop them into the oven at 350 for a few minutes and the top gets crunchy again.:thumbup1gif:

Administrator
Done. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts