Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of 1" ratchet straps. Some are good ones I've used for years but are aging and others are newer but seem to be fairly cheap. At this point I am losing confidence in using any of them for significant trailer tie-down duty, like strapping a garden tractor down. I have plenty of heavy-duty 2" ratchet strap/binders and chains for heavier uses. I need to replace my lighter 1" ratchet straps.

I want to find a set of good ones. Something that is in the 15' length range. I'd like them to have solid, reliable ratchets and non-flimsy strap material. What have you found that matches these requirements? It is OK if they are slightly bigger (i.e. 1.25" straps or 20' long). But I'm not interested in 2" straps.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like these. I bought them about a year ago to use securing cargo in the bed of my new truck. I bought the set on Amazon but I see they are not available there now. View attachment 641308

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7P7EOX/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How much were they on Amazon when you bought them? I see some on eBay but the cheapest source is $110 and there are more expensive listings. Sometimes eBay prices get jacked up unreasonably when there is limited availability though, so just asking...

Rob

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I like the Husky 1-1/2 in. x 16 ft. Ratchet Tie-Down in the 1000 lbs working load.

I picked up a second set of two the other day at HomeDepot for $12.88.

The whole setup is user friendly with a nice large handle and release. The two pack comes with comes with a storage bag to keep them clean and organized.

61obmZw62WL._SL1000_.jpg

IMG-0189.JPG

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Ive edited this due to wrong info on my part. I was obviously wrong about what straps I thought I had vs what I actually had.
Somehow I had the little 300# straps confused with these in my mind. CRS kicking in again I guess. (Cant Remember S___)

I have 6, I think (maybe 8), of these:
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/material-handling/straps-tie-downs/smartstraps-reg-10-x-1-orange-heavy-duty-ratchet-straps-4-pack/149/p-1444447120919-c-14203.htm?tid=-779386178345735262&ipos=7

They also make them 14' long.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/material-handling/straps-tie-downs/smartstraps-reg-ratchet-x-reg-14-x-1-orange-ratchet-straps-4-pack/349/p-1444447101234-c-14203.htm?tid=-779386178345735262&ipos=22

Now, if you dont have a Menards, I cant tell you where to get them.
They are rated at 1000 pound working load and 3000 pound break strength, and not much more than the cheapos. I like the 10' since my trailer is only 12' long, they work out very well.
I have several longer ones for larger stuff (used usually when helping someone move). If I had a longer trailer, Id probably get the 14' set.

I am NOT a fan of the thin 1" straps ( I dont know for sure what they are actually rated at, some are only 300#). These are the ones that give straps a bad name. I certainly wouldnt trust them to hold my 318 down on any kind of a long trip. Those thin 1" doesnt leave you much if you lose one. I prefer to have a strap that by itself is rated for the load Im strapping down, just as an extra margin of safety, for not much more money.
Ive had the thin ones break just from the tension before. By that I mean they were not run over or across anything, so nothing to cut them, free hook to hook. Luckily I had other straps that prevented anything from moving.
A few of my orange ones are getting pretty old, but show very little wear. And, being orange, they are very easy to keep an eye on from the truck.

I prefer 2" straps, but most are so long they leave a LOT left to secure. I know there are ways to secure the extra, and I do that a lot, Id just rather have a few feet leftover instead of 10.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So those Menards ones are pretty good quality? I always am leery of Menards stuff. There are lots of things that I buy there that are just normal, decent things that don't require 'high quality' (screws, boards, plumbing, etc.) but when it comes to good tools or stuff like quality straps I'm hesitant. But if you have them and know they are good I'd consider them. That's why I'm asking here instead of just gambling. :)

Rob

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
So those Menards ones are pretty good quality? I always am leery of Menards stuff. There are lots of things that I buy there that are just normal, decent things that don't require 'high quality' (screws, boards, plumbing, etc.) but when it comes to good tools or stuff like quality straps I'm hesitant. But if you have them and know they are good I'd consider them. That's why I'm asking here instead of just gambling. :)

Rob
Well, thats where all my straps came from. Ive had no issues with them.
I just went and physically looked at my straps, they are the ones in the first link. Marked with my marker trick 1K/3K, so fairly obvious had I looked.

My apologies for the wrong info I posted about the load limts. I was sure they were higher. Somehow I got it stuck in my mind that the thin 1" straps were rated at 1000#. Not sure why or how, but I was wrong. Goes to show, always double check info before posting I guess. :hide:

Ive used mine extensively to haul my 318 and 30 tiller all over, and to take my 318 and plow to plow days too, and never an issue.
I do like them. Im sure there are better options out there, but for the price they are hard to beat. Ive used them to haul thousands of miles, and never an issue. I dont know that any strap brand is really better than another, but I like the feel of the ratchet mechanism, and it releases easily enough.
Honestly, I bought them the first time out of necessity. We bought something large while away from home and need to strap it to the roof rack on our old Explorer. Once I used them a couple times for other things, I liked them well enough I bought more.
I do have a couple really old ones from Highland I believe, but I dont trust them much anymore for anything big. They were great straps when new, and for a long time, but age has taken its toll on the mechanism and strap material. They are probably close to 20 years old and spent a lot of time in the weather though.

·
Administrator
17,260 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
How much were they on Amazon when you bought them? I see some on eBay but the cheapest source is $110 and there are more expensive listings. Sometimes eBay prices get jacked up unreasonably when there is limited availability though, so just asking...

Rob
Someone is making a healthy profit! I paid $24.97 on Amazon and that included free shipping. The initial reason I bought them, honestly, was that they were black. Didn't want yellow, red, green, or camo straps and that was all I could find in stores locally.

The quality was a pleasant surprise after looking at all the Chinese versions out there. Rhino even included a storage bag and a Rhino car decal, should you want to help them advertise.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Rhino ones look good, but I guess they aren't available and haven't been for about a month (on Amazon).

I'll take a look at the Husky from Home Depot and the Menards ones. All I want are some straps that will hold up and be with me in 10-15 years like the first two sets I bought (20 and 15 years ago), not the two sets I purchased in the last year that seem to abrade way too easily on edges of equipment (not sharp edges even, just pretty much anything). Just asking here for peoples' input as to what has worked for them and I appreciate what has been offered.

Rob

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I pulled up a picture of what I bought 4 years ago.

QaDccd5jOfoqMJMqXxLHGg0S306_kQm1tSGcQHVkVOZYWMP6eIoMqBFh9nsNnJWV2GonomHv79Ot_KmZlqKM615p1ieqO5d6.jpg

They are still doing good. They occasionally sit out in the rain when something is strapped to the trailer. You can configure the ends, ratchet, over all length, length on the ratchet end, color, etc.. basically a build your own. The 1" straps are 10' over all, heavy duty ratchet, s hook, 18" from hook to ratchet.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I like the Husky 1-1/2 in. x 16 ft. Ratchet Tie-Down in the 1000 lbs working load.

I picked up a second set of two the other day at HomeDepot for $12.88.

The whole setup is user friendly with a nice large handle and release. The two pack comes with comes with a storage bag to keep them clean and organized.

View attachment 641310

View attachment 641312

I have a set of these but the ratchet itself feels very flimsy. I think they're only rated to 500 lbs WLL.

I recently picked up a set from RatchetStrapUSA that have a 1,100 lbs WLL. I didn't want to go up to a 2" setup for securing things in the bed of my truck. I did however want something stronger. I picked up a set with the rubber coated handles and 15' length. Paid $8.45ea

https://www.ratchetstraps.com/1-inch-heavy-duty-ratchet-strap-s-hooks

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I pulled up a picture of what I bought 4 years ago.

View attachment 641366

They are still doing good. They occasionally sit out in the rain when something is strapped to the trailer. You can configure the ends, ratchet, over all length, length on the ratchet end, color, etc.. basically a build your own. The 1" straps are 10' over all, heavy duty ratchet, s hook, 18" from hook to ratchet.
Once I get a bigger tractor and put it on a trailer I'll be going for a 2-3" strap with chain ends. Basically have a setup like my Bubber here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know if these are the "best" straps, but they sure are convenient, easy to use and easy to store. Just press the red button and they automatically retract with no tangles or loose ends to tie up. Available from Erickson, Reese and other manufacturers. Love 'em!

Attachments

·
Registered
649 Posts
It has been some time but I think "Tractor time with tim" has some straps that his wife's company makes on youtube.
I am sure some on the site will or can post a link.

Doug

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts