Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1025r and about an acre of land around a new home build that I need to get finish graded for grass seeding. Rough grading has been done by the builder, but wonder what the best attachment is for breaking up soil so I can finish the job. I was thinking a small disc harrow followed by a chain harrow. Or should I look at a Tiller of some kind. Soil is not clay if that helps. Thank You!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Howdy. You haven't given much info to help you. Is it rocky, sandy, big clumps or just reg dirt mix? Are you adding fertilizer or lime to it? Is it graded the way you want it or do you have to shape it? Lots of questions... Any pics?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Spartazoo is right. I had a guy do my front yard 18 months ago with a Harley Rake and I was impressed. You can use it for many things and it does the job well and quickly. They're expensive as one for your 1 series will cost around 6500.
Ron

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I don't think he wants to spend a small fortune for a one time deal it sounds like? I was thinking a box blade or landscape rake. They can do the job just as well. Not sure what kind of dirt he is working with but my yard is clay and rock and did I mention rock? I have been clearing out the dead or dying trees on my 4 Acres and after rough grading with a Dozer I use the BB and the rake to do the finish.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have a 1025r and about an acre of land around a new home build that I need to get finish graded for grass seeding. Rough grading has been done by the builder, but wonder what the best attachment is for breaking up soil so I can finish the job. I was thinking a small disc harrow followed by a chain harrow. Or should I look at a Tiller of some kind. Soil is not clay if that helps. Thank You!
Welcome to GTT!

Hard to beat a tiller for long-term use. The tiller leaves the yard 'fluffy', which is great for a garden, but not a good finished product for the yard because it won't be perfectly level when packed. You can spend $6500 on a Harley Rake...but I doubt that is realistic for you. (It is NOT realistic for me at this point).

I found a used 'soil pulverizer' on craigslist. After tilling, it will pack the soil down again, doing some leveling as you go.

Here is a video:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I don't think he wants to spend a small fortune for a one time deal it sounds like? I was thinking a box blade or landscape rake. They can do the job just as well. Not sure what kind of dirt he is working with but my yard is clay and rock and did I mention rock? I have been clearing out the dead or dying trees on my 4 Acres and after rough grading with a Dozer I use the BB and the rake to do the finish.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would use a tiller, then a landscape rake. You can rent both.
Once the soil is loosened up and leveled, you can use a chain drag/harrow to get it real nice. Then add seed and pack it with a light roller (don't want a real heavy roller, just heavy enough to get the seed in good contact with the soil.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
Been wanting one of these for a long time. Price keeps it from happening. :banghead:

Welcome to GTT!

Hard to beat a tiller for long-term use. The tiller leaves the yard 'fluffy', which is great for a garden, but not a good finished product for the yard because it won't be perfectly level when packed. You can spend $6500 on a Harley Rake...but I doubt that is realistic for you. (It is NOT realistic for me at this point).

I found a used 'soil pulverizer' on craigslist. After tilling, it will pack the soil down again, doing some leveling as you go. We intend to have a video with ours posted tomorrow. I'll add it to this thread if I can remember :)
HA! Now I know what you got! :lolol: :bigthumb: Be watching the video later.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
You really need to loosen up the soil if you're going to seed. It is what I purchased my tiller for and pretty much all I've ever utilized it for. A landscape rake is great for getting those final grading passes close, but it only loosens soil up on the surface. The seed may start in it if closely watered, but the roots will have trouble penetrating to any depth and as quickly as that the moisture will dry from surface looseness, it won't survive long term.

On thin areas, I'll use a core aerator and make a few passes over it. It loosens the soil without destroying the grass that is in place like a tiller will.

Slopes are another area you have to cautious about---especially if there is any appreciable amount of runoff. A tiller really loosens the soil, a big sown pour could have all the tilled soil at the bottom of the slope along with the seed. Unless it is just plain bare, I typically utilize the aerator on slopes as it is not so prone erosion. If you till, you'll need seed mats, hay bails, or similar products to control erosion form the runoff. Sometimes, sod is the only answer for a slope.

I've never really had much of an issue with unevenness from tilling. You have to watch your rows and how you turn. Some raking of the loose soil to even out those type of things out is unavoidable. The tilled soil moves easily and that process goes quickly.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I am having the same challenge except my land is nothing but clay, rock and very poor for growing anything. I have brought in chicken litter to help with the poor soil but that brings in its own set of issues so I advise against that type of fertilizer (at least mine was free!). I have landscaped raked, used a rock rake, tiller, and drag harrow to get my rocks up and level to no avail. I attribute my lack of success partly on the soil and mostly on the fact I am just trying to beat the ground into submission without a real plan since this has all been discovery learning for me. I hear the Harley Rake is the thing to use so I may rent one and see but most likely just need to bring in top soil, level it, seed it and just water it.

My feedback:

Landscape rake: great for getting debris up and contouring the land. It moves dirt like a box blade too. I do not have a wheel kit and my 2210 doesn't have position control so it doesn't fill in low spots very well and sometimes moves more dirt than desired. I do like it better than a box blade though.

Tiller: I have a 35 tiller for my 400 GT. It is great for making the dirt fluffy as others have said but the negative is it keeps bringing up rocks and now my ground is a bit too fluffy if that make sense. I will continue to use it to work the chicken litter into the soil. Now my friend used his 647 tiller with his 1023e to great success on his lawn but he has nothing but sandy loam, much easier to work with. It did a great job of prepping the soil for seed. He also used his box blade for leveling. It is a bit of an art form to use it with a 1 series since there isn't a true position control on it (at least not on the 1023e).

Rock rake: Great for back dragging and leveling. It does pick up rocks, just not as many or as fast I desire. Since I have an endless supply of rocks...

drag harrow: I have one of these too and have not had a lot of success but I attribute that to the clumpy clay I am dealing with more than anything.

My advice: I think a combination of implements will do the job with varying degrees of success so it comes down to what you want to spend. I would go find a local landscape company, turf store, or even farm store and ask around what most folks do in your area. I would also strongly consider renting some equipment like a Harley rake or having a guy come in with one if this is going to be a one time deal. If I had to pick an implement or two then probably a tiller to loosen up the soil, box blade or landscape rake(with a wheel kit) to level it and then a roller to come back and pack it once it was seeded. If you don't envision using any of those after the job, then just rent them or buy used.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My pulverizer is the "go to" tool for most all lawn and waterway seeding I do. For such a simple tool it delivers major results in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Howdy. You haven't given much info to help you. Is it rocky, sandy, big clumps or just reg dirt mix? Are you adding fertilizer or lime to it? Is it graded the way you want it or do you have to shape it? Lots of questions... Any pics?
Sorry for the delay...sandy loam so no clay thankfully. Rocks here and there due to extra fill I had brought in. It is rough grade at this point but they did a pretty good job and left me with a fair amount of my original topsoil. The land was farmed for 50 years so the topsoil is good enough for me. I just missed out on an online auction recently for a soil pulverizer (went for $300!) which I will continue now to look for, I think it is what I need for my job. Then rent a seeder...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My pulverizer is the "go to" tool for most all lawn and waterway seeding I do. For such a simple tool it delivers major results in my opinion.
Thank you, that is what I am looking for now...hadn't heard of such a thing until I stumbled upon one at an online auction. Missed getting my bid in on time, but now I know what to look for. Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spartazoo is right. I had a guy do my front yard 18 months ago with a Harley Rake and I was impressed. You can use it for many things and it does the job well and quickly. They're expensive as one for your 1 series will cost around 6500.
Ron
Looks like an awesome tool and timesaver! I've got the time, but 6500 would be steep! Appreciate your comments thank you. Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will be facing this same problem in the fall when the o\house is finished. We have very sandy soil so we are going to have to bring in some topsoil. that pulverizer looks awesome but I would only use it once. I think I am going to get a bix blade because I can do a lot of other thing with it. If I need more I will hire somebody. At least that is the plan for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts