Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to replace my 3 year old mulching blades and want to get a better set. I looked on here but cant seem to find the right thread. If someone can direct me I would greatly apricate it.

If not I have heard their are gator blades which are very good so I was wondering what do you think? If you can please also tell me where you got them or if there are better ones I am open to ideas. The last set were JD and did well but didn't hold up very well.

Thanks for all your helpn:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
12,612 Posts
IMO just buy another set of OEM mulch blades, doesn't get much better than them. I have used Gator G6 blades with my mulch kit and did not like the results, so they are reserved for this time of the year when I take the mulch kit off and go Gator blading.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think the best blades are the ones that come with the mulch kit. That’s what I use on my 54” deck with the mulch kit. They work fine, they cut the grass and mulch.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Earlier this summer/spring, site supporter greenfarmparts.com had a special on JD mower blades. It was a pretty good deal with the GTT discount code on top of it. I purchased three sets for the 54D with the mulch kit. I've been pleased with the cut quality and they stay sharp all season, though I avoid mowing rocks and tree branches.

The hunt started out with my looking at one of those jigs for sharpening mower blades. Considering the wear and "eyeballing" them on the grinder, it doesn't take long to achieve, shall we say, a less than optimum sharpening. The jigs were close to $200 shipped and then they all required a hand held grinder, which was not included, to be mounted in them. So it was adding up to near $300 quickly, without factoring in consumables, such as grinding discs.

The three sets of three new mower blades came to a total of $143.82 or $15.98 a blade (M145516). Considering the price of the sharpening jig, consumables, less than a perfect outcome, and the time to do so; I'm done sharpening mower blades. I'm just replacing them. The cost of the jig alone will be purchase six years of new blades for me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Different situation but when I owned a Kubota with a 60" deck and mulch kit I tried Gator Blades. Great cut, I mean really good but you would have to love eating grass. The grass just flew everywhere and plugged up the radiator right away. I only used them once.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts