Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a EA 60" single lid grapple and it works really good for picking rocks. Smaller ones fall thru, but for the big ones it works great. Last thing we tried was my JD pallet forks one notch apart and it works awesome! You can dig out rocks it cant even pickup, just slide them out of the way.

These are 2' to 3' diameter size.

You folks got any better ways? Always willing to try something better.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You can only pickup rocks as big as your machine can lift, regardless of the tool on the loader...

I’ve picked some 2-2.5’ rocks with just the single center grapple on my 2032r-it was quite a tippy ride from where I got them to their current resting spot!

I’ve not tried to dig up, move or push anything bigger.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I had a HUMUGUS pile of rocks after a 900ft driveway was made thru the woods at our house.
I moved them all with a 4610 and a CTA grapple and made about 500-600 ft of rock wall.
The CTA grapple has 1/2 holes in the bottom jaw of the grapple. I ran 4 or 5? 1/2 steel rods thru it and then I could hold about 2-3" rocks in the grapple.
If the grapple could get around the rock for a good grip I could lift it.
Some of the larger ones I used a strap around the rock when the grapple couldn't get around it.
One large rock, which the wife named the "Egg Rock" I just pushed into place. Was about 4ft long and about 3 ft across.

I use the same grapple on my 2720 now, I can still lift a pretty good sized rock and its fairly easy to pop them out of the trails in the woods when they are sticking up too high.

For moving larger rocks (basket ball or bigger), the grapple is the ticket.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was referring more to this size and bigger. This rock was in a 30 year old gravel driveway with 6"s sticking above ground. I have a 73" heavy bucket and it took 4 heaping buckets to fill the hole.

The pipe in the holes is an excellent idea. The EA grapple has laser cut holes on every tooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can only pickup rocks as big as your machine can lift, regardless of the tool on the loader...

I’ve picked some 2-2.5’ rocks with just the single center grapple on my 2032r-it was quite a tippy ride from where I got them to their current resting spot!

I’ve not tried to dig up, move or push anything bigger.
Not necessarily... The EA grapple only weighs 300 some pounds. I found with pallet forks (actually heavier than grapple) you can stick them under the rock and pick the front tires off the ground and when you curl the bucket you get the front end weight plus the hydraulic pressure. Then you back up and it gets the rears light and pops them out. The advantage with the pallet forks is you can work on one rock. Grapple is 60" wide so you get half a dozen at a time. Our hunting ground is mostly trap rock so you can walk most anywhere in the 34 acre woods on rocks and never touch the ground. As far as ballast, I have a heavy hitch on IMatch and 16 weights so about 850#s Plus 840# of Beet Juice. Still picks up back end.

Thank You for your reply! I really appreciate it...

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I bought a EA 60" single lid grapple and it works really good for picking rocks. Smaller ones fall thru, but for the big ones it works great. Last thing we tried was my JD pallet forks one notch apart and it works awesome! You can dig out rocks it cant even pickup, just slide them out of the way.
What model tractor and what brand forks are you using?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I was referring more to this size and bigger. This rock was in a 30 year old gravel driveway with 6"s sticking above ground. I have a 73" heavy bucket and it took 4 heaping buckets to fill the hole.

The pipe in the holes is an excellent idea. The EA grapple has laser cut holes on every tooth.
Here we call those boulders.

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not necessarily... The EA grapple only weighs 300 some pounds. I found with pallet forks (actually heavier than grapple) you can stick them under the rock and pick the front tires off the ground and when you curl the bucket you get the front end weight plus the hydraulic pressure. Then you back up and it gets the rears light and pops them out. The advantage with the pallet forks is you can work on one rock. Grapple is 60" wide so you get half a dozen at a time. Our hunting ground is mostly trap rock so you can walk most anywhere in the 34 acre woods on rocks and never touch the ground. As far as ballast, I have a heavy hitch on IMatch and 16 weights so about 850#s Plus 840# of Beet Juice. Still picks up back end.

Thank You for your reply! I really appreciate it...
I stand by my statement, with any given implement on the loader you can only PICK UP as much as your machine will lift. I agree though, some things (forks) might give more leverage than a grapple. But your statement about your grapple being 60” wide and that changing or limiting the size or number of rocks it can grab is regulated to those fixed width grapples unfortunately. My Artillian is modular and I can operate a single grapple section about 16” wide-they’re much more efficient at picking up single and smaller rocks in that configuration!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What model tractor and what brand forks are you using?
3033R tractor and Frontier FP-12 E series forks. E series work with 2,3,4 and 5 series tractors. Rated at 3900#s roughly. 48" tines and over all width is 50" when we pick rocks we slide them together just off center. Center is open on the bottom for removing forks.

Forks on different project:

8' x 12' bridge. 2x8 green treated top. with 3 - 12' x 6" x 6" green treated beams on each side and one in the middle. In between the timbers I put 1/8" x 6" flat steel and drilled 3/4" hole all the way thru and bolted them with ready rod. bridge weight estimated at 1500#s.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I stand by my statement, with any given implement on the loader you can only PICK UP as much as your machine will lift. I agree though, some things (forks) might give more leverage than a grapple. But your statement about your grapple being 60” wide and that changing or limiting the size or number of rocks it can grab is regulated to those fixed width grapples unfortunately. My Artillian is modular and I can operate a single grapple section about 16” wide-they’re much more efficient at picking up single and smaller rocks in that configuration!
No argument... you also reduce weight by doing so. Less attachment weight = more lift capacity. Weight reduction is why I bought the EA to start with. With that being said if you have a rock on the end of those 48" forks and crank on the throttle it will pick up way bigger rocks than the grapple.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
No argument... you also reduce weight by doing so. Less attachment weight = more lift capacity. Weight reduction is why I bought the EA to start with. With that being said if you have a rock on the end of those 48" forks and crank on the throttle it will pick up way bigger rocks than the grapple.
Leverage is like that, hard to beat physics regardless of which end-the tractor or the rock-you are on.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
To pick up the biggest rock,, the best loader attachment is,,, NO attachment,,

Simply remove the bucket, or whatever is connected to the loader,,
and tie/chain the rock to the loader arms.

No capacity is lost in having an attachment on the tractor,,,

In this pic, I had the forks on, but, the forks weighed almost nothing compared to the rock and tractor.
The forks were not needed to do the lifting, the rock could have been tied to the loader arms,,,:good2:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I'm going to respectfully question that advice, CADplans...

On most of our tractors, if you remove the bucket, fork frame, etc., from the loader arms, aren't you going to lose a lot of the lateral support that having an attachment pinned on gives the loader arms? So, without an attachment, the loader arms would lose a lot of their stiffness and could twist?

In your picture, you still show a set of forks attached to your loader arms.

I would have no qualms strapping a rock to the front of my loader if I had my Artillian frame (without forks) attached to my loader arms.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Move and dig rocks with my forks often. Some of them takes two tractors:lol:. This one was almond perfectly round.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
My tractor does have enough structure inbetween the two lift arms to handle the inward force that slinging a rock from the two arms would cause, but I think the CADplan’s point is even more correct when taken generally... i.e. that the lightest attachment on the FEL will give you the most lift.

As an example: I would just use my Artillian fork frame (minus forks), and sling off that. The load C.G. is closer to the tractor that way and the FEL is lifting less extra attachment weight... both of which increase the liftable working load.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
As an example: I would just use my Artillian fork frame (minus forks), and sling off that. The load C.G. is closer to the tractor that way and the FEL is lifting less extra attachment weight... both of which increase the liftable working load.
This is exactly what I'd do!! The fork frame provides the necessary support for the loader arms and removing the forks from the frame gives you some extra lift capacity.

Keep in mind that if you're using chains, the Artillian fork frames have chain slots at each end of the frame. :good2:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
To pick up the biggest rock,, the best loader attachment is,,, NO attachment,,

Simply remove the bucket, or whatever is connected to the loader,,
and tie/chain the rock to the loader arms.

No capacity is lost in having an attachment on the tractor,,,

In this pic, I had the forks on, but, the forks weighed almost nothing compared to the rock and tractor.
The forks were not needed to do the lifting, the rock could have been tied to the loader arms,,,:good2:

My tractor does have enough structure inbetween the two lift arms to handle the inward force that slinging a rock from the two arms would cause, but I think the CADplan’s point is even more correct when taken generally... i.e. that the lightest attachment on the FEL will give you the most lift.

This is exactly what I'd do!! The fork frame provides the necessary support for the loader arms and removing the forks from the frame gives you some extra lift capacity.

Keep in mind that if you're using chains, the Artillian fork frames have chain slots at each end of the frame. :good2:
Those are valid points and having more options is always good when trying to accomplish something like this -HOWEVER-

There is a big thing this method is missing-and is central to my point and especially wardlake’s point about his method.

LEVERAGE!!! With the length of the 48” forks you can use a lot less tractor to get big rocks to move than you can with plain brute force and a bigger machine.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Here are some big rocks I’m my 53” HD bucket.

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Somebody out there makes rock buckets. ????????????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts