Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a john Deere Lt160 and would like to purchase a new battery. Does anyone out there suggest a good battery? I've read a lot of mixed reviews. Wondering what you guys think. Also I would like to replace the spark plug. Would I need to worry about spacing the plug or would the standard champion spacing work. Thanks! - J

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I am on my third battery in 13 years in my LT160 and I buy the cheapest battery that is available at Wal-Mart. I view the lawn tractor as a non-critical unit and it doesn't matter if I go to use it and it won't start due to a bad battery. The worst thing that can happen is I become stranded in the backyard and I have to walk 100 feet to the shop to get a jump pack. The money saved on the LT160 batteries somewhat offsets the cost of premium batteries I purchase for my vehicles, in which I do not want to become stranded if the battery goes bad.

Here is a link to the on-line LT160 owners manual which has quite a few specs for home service. The gap on the LT160 sparkplug is 0.040" or 1 mm. I always check the gap on new plugs, but I can't recall having to adjust one that hasn't been mishandled or rattled around in a tool box. It only takes a minute to verify the gap and if you don't own a gauge, they'd probably let you check it at the store with one of the cheap gauges they sell at the counter.

·
Premium Member
20,454 Posts
I posted just yesterday , the original battery in a 10 year old x585 died. The owner is planning on buying another JD battery. I seen 1 to 2 yr old batteries come back to Adv Auto.
In defense of Adv and other brands , this tractor always sets inside a heated garage and for the past 5 years has been on a battery tender during the off season. The other brands may do the same thing under the same conditions. Also whats to say his new JD battery will last 10 yrs , it may only last a year or two.:dunno:

Someone posted about being stranded buying the premium batteries . Yesterday his x585 died while going straight up his hilly yard, of what a thrill. :laugh:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ditto on the Walmart battery. You can get them for 20 to 30 bucks. I got over 5 years out of the last one. Just be sure you bring in your old one for exchange as they will charge you extra if you don't. And it is also good to line them up as they sell them with the battery poles reversed so make sure you get the right one.

As far as the plugs go, the last two sets I got were set correctly, but you never know. You can get a cheap set of feeler gauges at Walmart for a few bucks and check and or adjust them yourself.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Its all just hit and miss. You can buy 2 identical batteries and one might last 10 years and the other only lasts 2 years. The only thing that really makes a battery different from any other is they can use different size and thickness lead plates and separators. Inside any lead/acid battery is lead, separator and acid... that's it. Some cheap auto parts store batteries actually use the exact same elements as Interstate or OEM batteries... only difference being the container. Only way to really judge a battery is to look at the cold cranking amps and all that. If 2 batteries show the same rating they are likely the same battery with different containers or maybe even just different stickers. John Deere, Interstate, Diehard, Duralast, Everstart...ect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.