Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;

As the title suggests, what are the best blades for use with Power Flow Bagger on a 48c mower deck?

I did a search of the site but couldn't get a consensus and actually found conflicting information. (Welcome to the internets!)

I'm new to the forum but I promise not to ask what you think is the best motor oil to use...

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Now it has been 18 years since I had a powerflow set up, so forgive me if I am mistaken. My recollection of reading the manual was that standard blades ( which worked great for me) or for increased performance high lift blades, which will sap more horsepower than high lift. Now there is available "gator blades" which look like they have tremendous lift and chopping action that reduces debris to tiny pieces, but also look like they would require even more horsepower than high lift. Truthfully the standard blades worked so well for me that I never even tried any other style.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I have a '16 X580 with a power flow and it seems to do a good job collecting the clippings with the standard style blades as they are made to help with discharge .
:bigbeer:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I asked that same question in here and at the JD parts counter. Standard High lift blade was all referred to me and that is what I stuck with.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
On my 345 I started with standard blades but got better results with high lift.The x595 will be a test since I have gators and just getting a PF put together.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I have used the standard lift and Gator Blades with the Powerflow on my X585. They both work well.

On my Z950R, I have high lift blades right now. This is a different machine and Powerflow system but I was surprise how much the engine would bog down however even though the leaves were wet they were completely shredded which the X585 won't do unless they are dry. I need to get a set or two of the Gator Blades for the new machine.

The odd thing is that I have been through the manual for the collection system and it just says to use the proper blades for the type of work being done but doesn't say if the correct type are Low, Mid or High Lift. In talking with the dealer they don't seem to have an answer. Next week I am going to stop by and talk to their blade guy and see what he has to say. The sales guy said if he isn't sure that they will open a case with JD to get clarification on this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have used the standard lift and Gator Blades with the Powerflow on my X585. They both work well.

On my Z950R, I have high lift blades right now. This is a different machine and Powerflow system but I was surprise how much the engine would bog down however even though the leaves were wet they were completely shredded which the X585 won't do unless they are dry. I need to get a set or two of the Gator Blades for the new machine.

The odd thing is that I have been through the manual for the collection system and it just says to use the proper blades for the type of work being done but doesn't say if the correct type are Low, Mid or High Lift. In talking with the dealer they don't seem to have an answer. Next week I am going to stop by and talk to their blade guy and see what he has to say. The sales guy said if he isn't sure that they will open a case with JD to get clarification on this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Do keep us posted..... very curious about this..

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
GX335/48C here: Have used both original equipment blades and Gator mulching blades with good results. Disclaimer: I don't have a "Class A Lawn" though. Both work well with a bagger, but I like the Gators for the finer clippings they produce (more clippings per bag/less down time for emptying).

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Do keep us posted..... very curious about this..
Well haven't gotten much of an answer yet.

I stopped by on Tuesday after work. The guy I was directed to had left for the day. Stopped back yesterday and same thing so the other parts guys helped me out.

For the Z950R the only blade they could find as the "recommended" blade for a Z950R is the high lift. However they agreed that with a collection system that I shouldn't need a high lift blade and it would probably bog down more with it. Though it may mean that the clippings and leaves are shredded more which may mean less trips to dump. They basically said to try a standard lift but it isn't documented.

As for the bogging down. The first comment was if they were wet. I explained they were damp. The leaves are stuff that blew up against the buildings. I went around with my backpack blower, pushed the leaves away from the building so they were dry enough to be moved with that method. Then I went around and picked up the leaves. It wasn't a lot of leaves as the majority had been picked up in the fall. This is just the stuff that fell late in the fall/winter after I put the collection system away on my X585 for the winter and switched over to snow removal. I said I pick up leaves like this on my X585 all the time without bogging but it also puts the leaves in the cart almost whole where these were shredded pretty fine even though they were damp. Only way I could get them chopped that fine with the X585 is if they were totally dry and then everything just turns to dust.

In the end I went out the door with a set of Predator2 blades. Once the grass starts growing around here I will do a couple sessions (side discharge not collecting the clippings) with the High lift then a couple with the Predator2 blades and see what I like better. Might have to do some experimentation this fall as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts