Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, tractor/ hunter enthusiasts what are your favorite foodplot tractor tools/ set of tools

i am interested in purchasing for my new 4720 to do about a 5-10 acre food plot

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
278 Posts
That is cool looking, but I'd have no idea how to use it. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Wow. Cool tool, but not cheap.

I find I never use my disc. My main tools are my sprayer to kill everything before I work stuff up. This really helps to keep the weeds out of my plots. Then a subsoiler has done wonders for my heavy soil. Next up is my tiller. Then I spread the dead and either till again to bury it or I let mother nature do my work, depending on the seed.

Is this one 10 acre plot or a few smaller ones?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats the biggest tiller i could use? also whats the biggest discs and plow i could use to work the ground? with my 4720

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I run the 673 tiller and most times I use it I am in E-PTO, so you could easliy take a 84" plus unit.

I have pulled a 3 - 16 plow in heavy clay with ease and I would think you could pull a 4 bottom. I do have R-1's with iron weight inthe rear.

We have a 8 foot 3 point disc from TSC at my nieghbors. Its the heavy duty tube one with the 19 or 20 inch discs. I can pull that with ease. I think a 9 or 10' pull behind would be fine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i am thinking a 84" tiller :nunu: look out soil

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have mostly wooded land and have carved out a few food plots in the pine forest and along my trails. On new ground I will nuke it first with round-up in order to kill the vegetation. After getting the brush off the land (landscape rake, root grapple, loader), I use my stump grinder to take out the stumps and then follow with my ripper or box blade scarifiers to get the roots worked free and search for buried rocks and other treasures.

THen I use my 3 point disc to get the trash cut up and the ground worked up for the frist time. Next I will run my tiller over it and then follow with a drag before planting.

Phew....makes me tired thinking about it.....but the right tools make the work kinda fun...if I dont get to serious about it. So far I have ground over 1200 stumps from my trails and food plots. Who wudda thunk it when I started? :laugh:

We now have about 5 acres in small food plots scattered about my land.....and have a few miles of trails connecting the different areas. Fun!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a JD 4700 with a large assortment of attachments depending on soil conditions.......

My favorite tool is my little 319D with a 72 inch dual power tiller. I have made a little business out of doing foodplots for friends and close Hunting Camps. It's fun work and uses the knowledge i have gained over the years working the ground for crops, plus being reitred I have allot of time on my hands and simply enjoy working in the woods. Always have. To answer your question,
You would need a brush hog, two bottom plow, a small disk and a hand operated seeder and a small sprayer to kill the weeds to do a few little plots for yourself...I have made food plots with a sprayer , hand rack and a hand seeder....A five to ten acre plot is pretty big project.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts