Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about ordering forks for my 2320 and I'm not sure what size to get, either 42" or 36". These will be all purpose forks so they could be used to just about anything you might use forks for. Will I be better off going with the 36" forks to keep the weight down? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering forks for my 2320 and I'm not sure what size to get, either 42" or 36". These will be all purpose forks so they could be used to just about anything you might use forks for. Will I be better off going with the 36" forks to keep the weight down? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi, please take a look at Artillian FAQ. Based on what you're saying, I'd steer you toward the 36's, but it's hard to make a firm recommendation.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
I never asked anyone before buying my 48", I wish I had. I guess it depends what you use them for, while the 48" is too long in my opinion, for what I do I think the 42" would have been better, I think the 36" would have been just a little short for some of the junk I move around. Also, the 48" is excess weight that robs my lift capacity a little.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my mind set on the 42" - bigger is better, right - especially being the cost is the same....

But I listened ( for a change) to Cris's recommendation of the 36" and have silently thanked him many times since.
Thank you. Why do you feel the 36" is the better fit? Is it just lower weight or that they are smaller and less of an issue when maneuvering?

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Thank you. Why do you feel the 36" is the better fit? Is it just lower weight or that they are smaller and less of an issue when maneuvering?
I don't think there is much of a weight difference between the two. But for maneuverability I think they are great. Even though the 42" forks are only 8" longer that extra length would be accentuated with each move of the forks. Like tilting the forks up or down to get them just right to go under a pallet - the longer they are the more jerky they are going to be. Also when turning into something to pick up from an angle vs. straight in shot - that 8" would make a big difference I think when trying to get under something from an angle.

I really can't make a true comparison since I've never had/tried the 42". But when I look at some pics of the small compacts with the 42" long times it just looks out of proportion to me.......

I have never wished for or needed the longer tines yet.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with 36".
It's the size mainly used on jobsites on most smaller skid loaders, ect.
They pick the average size pallet up just fine.
I love my 36" Artillians on my 1025.:good2:

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I listened to the recommendations and went with the 36" and it was right on so far...42" would have been tricky when picking up boulder's when they are against another boulder or tree. I figured I could always extend the shorter ones...but cutting off longer forks isn't an option.:laugh:

Reasons for choosing shorter fork tines:

Moving pallet loads where the load center can be favored closer to the loader
Occasional use for brush piles and logs
Ground engagement work like troughs, tilling and trenching
Handling boulders for building stone walls
Prying up objects like roots and stones, slabs of concrete or asphalt
Setting patio stones or other landscaping construction work
Working in tight areas, such as around trees and buildings
Moving heavy loads that demand the least amount of dead weight as possible
The shorter/lighter, the easier to lift and handle
Limited storage space

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
I listened to the recommendations and went with the 36" and it was right on so far...42" would have been tricky when picking up boulder's when they are against another boulder or tree. I figured I could always extend the shorter ones...but cutting off longer forks isn't an option.:laugh:
Glad to hear this. I am also very happy with my 36" forks - just right for me. I'm so glad I listened to Chris and his recommendation.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Thanks gents. Trying to recommend which length of forks to pick feels about the same as when my better half asks which shoes look better with some dress.

The only difference is that I always tell the truth when it comes to picking forks. :laugh:
:lol:
Going to go out on a limb here and say you're pretty safe with the fork recommendations. Any are better than none.:thumbup1gif:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts