Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at buying a brand new X739. Is there anything better with a gas engine? I want to stick with the gas and the 4WD and 4 wheel steer is attractive to me. Looking to mow and plow snow mainly. Might get a 3 Pt for a spreader and aerator in the future but that’s probably it. I’ve been researching for a while now, but you guys know best. Is there anything else I should consider for the money?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I went with the X739 for the same reasons you listed. Didn't want diesel and it needed to have all wheel drive and 4 wheel steering, after 7 years no regrets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was on the same mission. Ended up with x738 with aerator, sprayer, thatcher, striper, 3 PT. Won’t be in for another month probably so can’t speak to the results yet. Didn’t go for the all wheel steering but can see why one would. Had the same needs as you-mowing and blowing with a few extra tasks. Salesman showed me the 1 series machines but that was above what I’m into for now. There are 100 threads with that debate covered obviously. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
There isn't another machine available that is comparable to the x7 machines. Particularly if you want a gas powered machine, there just isn't anything out there that comes close.

Between the 38 and 39 the only difference is the steering. If that is important enough to you to spend the money on 4ws than go for it.

If you are financing the tractor get all the attachments with the tractor. You will get the same 0% on everything you get with the tractor. Personally i would bundle the 3PH with the tractor. Having it now keeps it from being an added expense when you what to get a 3PH implement later.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Since You say spreader for a 3point hitch I am guessing a PTO driven Version

I would say get the Rear PTO and 3point Installed in the Build Nicer to Install a rear PTO when the Tractors is new! Less chance of getting contamination in the Transmission if You install it new
Owned a X485 & Now a X748 Have always Had the rear PTO and 3point Installed with the Build .

Besides 3point hitch I recommend Getting Click n Go brackets and a Click N Go OEM eight Bracket(it's for 6 suitcase weights but it Keep the weight closer into the Tractor) Heavy Hitch Makes a 8 weights click N go weight bracket as well with a 2inch receiver.

Depending on how Much snow you get I recommend this Brand of snow Blade 60" Snow Plow for John Deere Compact Tractor - Compact Tractor Attachments Much taller then the OEM 54 or 60inch Blade. Only downside over OEM the blade cannot be locked for Dozer Duty if spreading Material beside snow (y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
X739 gets my vote , very dependable machine . The maneuverability when cutting grass and traction without chains when blowing snow is outstanding - I have traded in my 2014 X739 and am expecting my 2021 X739 to be delivered tomorrow. Others have made good recommendations about getting a bundled package especially when the additional equipment carries the same warranty as the tractor .

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
The x738/9 is the premier gas engine Garden tractor. It's a major league player in a field of collegiate level players from other companies.

The all wheel steer option is the distinction between the two. Some previous models had smaller rear tires on the AWS verses the 2ws models, but the x738/ 9 both have the 26x12x12 which is a very common GT tire size. You can also get it in the Versa Turf tire, which is an outstanding tire.

The Kawasaki engine is extremely proven and is becoming harder to get in many models and lines of machines. The demand is so high for the Kawasaki engine, that many brands are now producing their own engines for lower model machines because the top machines get the priority on the Kaw engines.

The machines which preceded the x738/9 have excellent pedigree and are among the most popular and sought after models even after 20 plus years. If I were to buy a new Garden Tractor, there is no question in would be the x7xx series machine.

The one suggestion I would make to the OP is to consider a 12 volt rear mounted spreader, verses the PTO spreader. They are lighter and easier to install, but I also like being able to vary the spreader's output with the turn of a knob, verses having it linked to the rear PTO output. I have a 12 volt commercial grade spreader which I really like. It was not cheap, at over $1,000, but its by far the best fertilizer spreader I have owned and used. The components are stainless and made to last and work.

The spreader I have is from JRco in Minnesota. I would suggest looking at good quality 12 volt spreaders Deere might offer to either fit the Click N Go or the 3ph set up. You could use the 3ph for mounting and use 12 volt to drive the spreader. Also, my spreader's material flow gate is pedal operated, so I can open and close the material flow with my foot, which adjusting the spreader speed and range with the 12 volt control. I know they offer the spreader in various mounting configurations from their proprietary front mount system to a receiver hitch mount and other options.

Check the spreader options carefully as you really want the right spreader for your needs.

Reactions: Rule292

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I had an X585 and loved it.

rob

·
Registered
60 Posts
I settled on an x739 as well, however haven't pulled the trigger. Have any of you with a recent purchase gotten anything better than msrp? It seems that many were getting 10-15% off msrp, but I can't get my dealer to budge, the only offer is 0% on full msrp.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I settled on an x739 as well, however haven't pulled the trigger. Have any of you with a recent purchase gotten anything better than msrp? It seems that many were getting 10-15% off msrp, but I can't get my dealer to budge, the only offer is 0% on full msrp.
Seems like deals are getting harder to come by. The demand for these tractors has gone up a lot in the last year. That's making them harder for dealers to get and longer wait times for delivery from the factory. I've seen a few people here saying it's taking 2 months to take delivery of a new machine. There just isn't a lot of motivation for a dealer to make a deal if they don't need to.

Best ways to get a deal are to shop as many dealers as you can get to and to shop in person if possible. It's generally easier to get a deal on a machine they have in inventory rather than something they have to order.

I got my x738 for the MSRP of an x730. The dealer quoted me the x730 that they would have had to order, then offered to sell me the x738 they had sitting in inventory for the same price.

Reactions: JBob

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seems like deals are getting harder to come by. The demand for these tractors has gone up a lot in the last year. That's making them harder for dealers to get and longer wait times for delivery from the factory. I've seen a few people here saying it's taking 2 months to take delivery of a new machine. There just isn't a lot of motivation for a dealer to make a deal if they don't need to.

Best ways to get a deal are to shop as many dealers as you can get to and to shop in person if possible. It's generally easier to get a deal on a machine they have in inventory rather than something they have to order.

I got my x738 for the MSRP of an x730. The dealer quoted me the x730 that they would have had to order, then offered to sell me the x738 they had sitting in inventory for the same price.
Agreed, my dealer has one x739 in stock, says they can't keep them in they are selling so fast and that it takes 2 months to order one

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
It's not the season for 'extra good' lawn equipment deals.
Add to that what the pandemic is doing to the "home" related economy. Everything related to the "home" has shot up in price. Lumber, building materials, office furniture (home offices), appliances, and yes, garden tractors. Since people can't or won't go on vacation/travel, they are spending their discretionary income on everything for the "home", in droves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts