Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you found to be the best glue for repairing the cracking or broken plastic on 90's lawn tractors? THANKS!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Is it plastic or fiberglass? Two different materials & sometimes people get them confused. Fiberglass may require body fillers like bondo & fiberglass cloth. Plastics, may even be more difficult to find the proper glues since plastics have become so high tech. Sorry I don't have an answer for you at this time due to lack of info.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The hard plastic hood, ABS maybe, on a 1995 LX188 is what I'm trying to repair. Thanks!
ABS- you could have a real problem gluing ABS. One comes to mind-called PROFESSIONAL WELDER. It's a 2 part epoxy cement. I've used it to bond ABS in a water drainage system. Google the name I just gave you & see if the website lists ABS. The package says "Plastic" but it is not specific. Also depending on where the break or crack is- it may not hold. The Professional Welder glue is available in a lot of places like Advanced Auto-Auto Zone- some Walmarts, & you can order it direct from the company's website. ABS is a real issue when it comes to glue repairs.

Also- ask at a good body shop. Some shops can tell you, or go to a professional body shop supply if you have one in your area. Those guys deal in all kinds of plastics that need repair.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
You could try this ABS Repair.
I agree Randy, that's a good product and I have also seen guys repair their snowmobile hoods with epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth from underneath.. I guess it holds and then fill in any cracks surface with body filler, sand and paint.. A lot of work but these guys want their machines looking great only to ruin them again! I hate to see some of those paint jobs get wrecked.. I have heard the older JD hoods crack regularly in half and supposedly JD has changed the product.. Good luck

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used a two part epoxy for plastic and some fiberglass mesh drywall tape. Worked great to fix a crack on my GX 345 hood.

Underside of the hood after multiple coats ...
20150517_173102.jpg

Top.
20150517_173115.jpg

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
THANKS!! I saw some two part Epoxy for plastic at Ace Hardware, and the Dry wall tape will work well too. I'll try this!!
Don't take this the wrong way-The product that Randy suggested is formulated for ABS. If the materials you are making the repair with are not rated for the base material, over time they will fail, in my opinion. While drywall mesh tape & epoxy will hold it together (maybe) it will not give you a long lasting quality repair if that's what your after. Also you could run the risk of damaging the surrounding plastic area or surface. Having said all this- I guess any port in a storm will do.

Todays plastics are like plumbing materials. Ever see all the rot & corrosion you get from galvanic action from mixing dissimilar materials in a plumbing system. The connections look good, solid & clean. Take a look at them a year later & they are corroded & ready to break & leak.
I'm just saying. Just my own .02 opinion.

P.S. My wife keeps a roll of Duct tape & Masking tape in her desk draw, her kitchen junk draw & her night stand. She is convinced that there is nothing in this world that can't be fixed with Duct tape or Masking tape. I'm done arguing with her over this insanity.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the hood is polycarbonate (Lexan). You will need to find a repair material compatible with it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the hood is polycarbonate (Lexan). You will need to find a repair material compatible with it.
Would this be the material JD calls "Noryl" or "Zenoy"? My '04 GX is one of them, which I can't remember right this minute...

·
Registered
179 Posts
The epoxy and drywall tape are doing well. No sign of issues after about a year.

The thing to remember is the hood and the owner are both old.

Sometimes we worry to much about putting a twenty year fix on a item with five years of life left.
( The hood, not me!)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The epoxy and drywall tape are doing well. No sign of issues after about a year.

The thing to remember is the hood and the owner are both old.

Sometimes we worry to much about putting a twenty year fix on a item with five years of life left.
( The hood, not me!)
It's funny you say that. Lately, every time I do something around my place I'm always saying to myself "That's the last time I need to deal with this". I say that because I'm ageing out too. I'm well over the hill & now working on hill No.3. But when I say why should I care so much at this stage in my life, I start thinking about the people I will leave behind who will be affected by my actions, or lack thereof.

Right now I'm getting ready to build a storage barn. My plan exceeds anything that the code & county here requires. I keep thinking I should just build it to the minimum standard. Then I think about the mess that I would leave for someone else to deal with. The older I get the more I think about how I will affect the lives of others. But then again why should I care? I will be dead, buried & in very short time, forgotten that I was ever here. I guess I'm starting to go crazy. Too much diesel fumes will do that.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Would this be the material JD calls "Noryl" or "Zenoy"? My '04 GX is one of them, which I can't remember right this minute...
I don't know about those materials- But I would not put it past Deere to take a common material & give it some stupid hi-tech meaningless designation- just so they can add some mystery to it & then charge you 400% more for the replacement part because instead of calling it "cardboard" they renamed it "Flexible inter cross woven open cell cellulous with bi lateral extruded fluting". Who would not gladly pay $100 bucks for one of those!:laugh:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
It's funny you say that. Lately, every time I do something around my place I'm always saying to myself "That's the last time I need to deal with this". I say that because I'm ageing out too. I'm well over the hill & now working on hill No.3. But when I say why should I care so much at this stage in my life, I start thinking about the people I will leave behind who will be affected by my actions, or lack thereof.

Right now I'm getting ready to build a storage barn. My plan exceeds anything that the code & county here requires. I keep thinking I should just build it to the minimum standard. Then I think about the mess that I would leave for someone else to deal with. The older I get the more I think about how I will affect the lives of others. But then again why should I care? I will be dead, buried & in very short time, forgotten that I was ever here. I guess I'm starting to go crazy. Too much diesel fumes will do that.

Here's another thought Maddog. What you leave behind isn't going to be what whoever ends up with it wants so they will knock it down or redo it to their liking. So what you do is for your liking and to last as long as you do because after you're gone...it gets redone. Every place we bought was redone to what we wanted. If it's not done right, 2 things happen.
1. It's easy to knock down and do it your way.
or...
2. It's harder to fix.
But like you, I do things the right way so if it gets redone it won't be so hard to do. And if I want to redo my own work it won't be hard to do. I'm still trying to find 16" centers in our house. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts

y
Maddog, just think about this; minimum standards are a step above JUNK.. I use this analogy all the time in my office when people start asking why.. and I say You want to go ahead and use 2x8's and span 14 feet go ahead, and when your dishes rattle in your china cabinet you will see why it's called junk. Of course I do not let them but you get my drift I am sure.. JT

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Here's another thought Maddog. What you leave behind isn't going to be what whoever ends up with it wants so they will knock it down or redo it to their liking. So what you do is for your liking and to last as long as you do because after you're gone...it gets redone. Every place we bought was redone to what we wanted. If it's not done right, 2 things happen.
or...
2. It's harder to fix.
But like you, I do things the right way so if it gets redone it won't be so hard to do. And if I want to redo my own work it won't be hard to do. I'm still trying to find 16" centers in our house. :banghead:

Yikes, between your post and Maddogs previous post My eyes are crossed! Sounds like an attorney explaining why I can't do what I want to do when I want to do it and don't even think about doing it and I don't even know anymore want it was I wanted to do..! :dunno:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
or...
2. It's harder to fix.
y
Maddog, just think about this; minimum standards are a step above JUNK.. I use this analogy all the time in my office when people start asking why.. and I say You want to go ahead and use 2x8's and span 14 feet go ahead, and when your dishes rattle in your china cabinet you will see why it's called junk. Of course I do not let them but you get my drift I am sure.. JT
Yikes, between your post and Maddogs previous post My eyes are crossed! Sounds like an attorney explaining why I can't do what I want to do when I want to do it and don't even think about doing it and I don't even know anymore want it was I wanted to do..! :dunno:
Wow- What a response to my post here. I feel honored that my feeble minded thoughts could bring all that attention. I guess collectively, we are a group of guys in search of a life- why else would we be here on GTT in the middle of the afternoon. Maybe its time for me to listen to my Doc who tells me to go for walks for the exercise. I guess cutting down 30 foot pine trees on my property & clearing brush isn't exercise. I guess he has one of those landscape mow-blow-go people doing his yard work.

:yahoo::lolol:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts
Yep, it's been a lazy day for me too. Worked on a hinge on the barn door and called it quits. Guess I'll have to call Ford and see if the car is ready, been waiting all day for the call. :munch:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yep, it's been a lazy day for me too. Worked on a hinge on the barn door and called it quits. Guess I'll have to call Ford and see if the car is ready, been waiting all day for the call. :munch:
Yea- Call em up & give em hell. Who do they think they are...wasting your time when you could be working on that barn door hinge...all week

:lolol::nunu:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts