Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a ton of storm damage from 2 nor-esters over the last week here in CT. Yes two storms in 7 days. It was terrible. The second one did a fair amount of tree damage. I do have an inexpensive tree-guy (one man show) who can help me with the more dangerous removals, but he does not remove the materials. I usually get a dumpster and load it with my tractor bucket. This time it's more brush and not logs. Plus, I think this would be a good opportunity to do some overall cleanup of my wooded areas this spring.

How does the grapple work with a tractor with only 2 valves? Can I get a grapple hooked up to my loader wand to just raise and lower the arms and open/close the grapple? How does this get setup? Not looking to spend a ton of money as that would negate the economic benefit of buying this tool over hiring pros to do this job.

Would appreciate someone laying out my options. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
13,841 Posts
Hydraulic Products

You would need a 3rd function kit/deverter kit and lots of choices out there for grapples but I would keep the weight of it on my priority list.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Going to do the same thing on the ex3200... the cheapest I have found so far is adding “the thumb” google it,
To existing bucket, then add extra hydraulic controls, all said and done with you doing the install you are talking around 1K
You are in Ct wonder if we could get a buy one get one deal:bigthumb:
Kenny you listening???
Then we could put on together......

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Administrator
18,514 Posts
Yes FDmars I'm listening LOL....where are the pics of your diverter and thumb project HHHHMMMMM????? :munch:

The Artillian and the small ones from Everything Attachments will be the lightest "full" grapples, both will be the quickest to get setup and running whereas the "thumb" mentioned will required bucket modifications to support it,

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I went with the artillian diverter for the H120 and the CTA grapple. I went with it because it weights 180LBS. very happy with it. setup ran around 1900$

·
Registered
23,289 Posts
While grapples are great they aren’t a neccessity. I recently cleaned up a 70’ pine tree using my forks. Yeah - a little manual labor involved with cutting the limbs to length and stackimg them on the forks but a heck of a lot cheaper than a grapple and the hydraulics involved.

8BC4CA45-A204-4E6E-8058-CF4AD136FB12.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forks might be more economical. But, I would love to accomplish more tasks for a longer period of time without the manual labor added in.

Are there any grapples that do not require the 3rd function? I would like to avoid that expense. How much is that portion in addition to the grapple?

·
Registered
23,289 Posts
Forks might be more economical. But, I would love to accomplish more tasks for a longer period of time without the manual labor added in.

Are there any grapples that do not require the 3rd function? I would like to avoid that expense. How much is that portion in addition to the grapple?
That’s just my point - you want to avoid the expense of the hydraulics.

Artillians hydraulic kit (top notch) is around $675. You can’t avoid it if you want a grapple.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Thank you for clarification.

Maybe I'll just make due with forks for 10% of the cost.

Any recs on a good pin-on fork set? Or should I go with bucket forks?

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
That’s what Coal is trying to say. Grapples are nice, but grapples are exspensive. How much will you use it after this storm mess is cleaned up? They are handy if you have enough work to justify the cost.

Reactions: rtgt and PJR832

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
For years I used a set of clamp-on forks and my bucket to move tree/brush debris and although not a perfect set up, it worked. I finally got a set of pallet forks and with the backrest, it made moving debris easier. I stack/pile limbs, use the loader to squash/pack things together, then use the forks to move the pile. I easily can get the forks under logs to move them as well. Again not the perfect set up but it works fairly well. I later on purchased a grapple and it works awesome for debris removal but the real benefit I see with the grapple is that I don't have to work "smarter", I just grap and go. I'm not really doing anything with the grapple that I wasn't doing with the pallet forks. With using some common sense and planning while cutting up the mess pallet forks will get the job done. The grapple is great when I have ALOT of clean up needed but I'm still using the forks more than the grapple. They are quicker/easier to put on the tractor to handle the small jobs and I have far more small/quick jobs to take care of than the larger clean ups that I use the grapple for. If your going to be cleaning up tree debris for years to come, invest in the grapple to make life a little easier. If your purchasing a grapple to use now and once the job is done it becomes an implement that just sits around in your way then save your money and buy forks. You will use them FAR more than a grapple on various other projects. In my opinion there has to be ALOT of work planned to make the expense of a grapple worth it or it has to be an implement you simply want and the cost of that "want" doesn't factor into any equation.

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
I noticed the title of this thread was "BEST grapple"... not least expensive.

Without a doubt the Artillian grapple is the best solution for a 1-series due to its light weight and modularity.

·
Registered
23,289 Posts
OK Thank you for clarification.

Maybe I'll just make due with forks for 10% of the cost.

Any recs on a good pin-on fork set? Or should I go with bucket forks?
If you have a pin on bucket it is going to be difficult.

For the quick attach bucket you have a couple choices. Artillian is the Cadilac having the least weight and supreme craftmanship. On the other end of the spectrum is Chinese made Titan. Many people here have them and have no issues. But I have seen some folks say that Titan now is offering some USA made implements. Maybe becuse of the new tariff on imported steel?

I would not recommend clamp on forks - too easy to bend your bucket. But if you have a pin on bucket that might be your best choice.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I noticed the title of this thread was "BEST grapple"... not least expensive.

Without a doubt the Artillian grapple is the best solution for a 1-series due to its light weight and modularity.
Hmm I see that as without a doubt some folks opinion but definitely not everyone's. To many the "modularity" of the Artillian is a true pain in the a$$. Plus the OP did state he didn't want to spend a ton of money. There's no way to use any grapple without spending some bucks. Some folks version of inexpensive is different than others though.

Reactions: PJR832 and jgayman

·
Premium Member
13,052 Posts
Hmm I see that as without a doubt some folks opinion but definitely not everyone's. To many the "modularity" of the Artillian is a true pain in the a$$. Plus the OP did state he didn't want to spend a ton of money. There's no way to use any grapple without spending some bucks. Some folks version of inexpensive is different than others though.
I totally agree. I see threads all the time where folks are asking advice for "The BEST ___________" when what they really mean is "Best Value". :good2:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I totally agree. I see threads all the time where folks are asking advice for "The BEST ___________" when what they really mean is "Best Value". :good2:
In addition, I don't see mention of what loader the OP has. Coaltrain mentioned the biggest part of the equation IMO, if the op has a pin on bucket then the options are slim for a quick inexpensive solution.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have a pin on bucket it is going to be difficult.

For the quick attach bucket you have a couple choices. Artillian is the Cadilac having the least weight and supreme craftmanship. On the other end of the spectrum is Chinese made Titan. Many people here have them and have no issues. But I have seen some folks say that Titan now is offering some USA made implements. Maybe becuse of the new tariff on imported steel?

I would not recommend clamp on forks - too easy to bend your bucket. But if you have a pin on bucket that might be your best choice.
I'm sorry. I think I am using the wrong terminology for the bucket attachment. I have the kind where to top tabs fit over the loader arms and a quick pin on the bottom secures the attachment. Is this "pin on"?

Same as the one attached?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'm sorry. I think I am using the wrong terminology for the bucket attachment. I have the kind where to top tabs fit over the loader arms and a quick pin on the bottom secures the attachment. Is this "pin on"?

Same as the one attached?
You have the JD quick attach.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Wasn’t there a thread or two here a couple months ago regarding a grapple that didn’t require 3rd function hydraulics? If the OP is looking for an grapple that does not require the expense of a hydraulic setup then perhaps it would work in his case?

Hopefully someone who’s search skills are better than mine currently can locate the thread....

Reactions: PJR832

·
Administrator
18,514 Posts
Wasn’t there a thread or two here a couple months ago regarding a grapple that didn’t require 3rd function hydraulics? If the OP is looking for an grapple that does not require the expense of a hydraulic setup then perhaps it would work in his case?

Hopefully someone who’s search skills are better than mine currently can locate the thread....
Yes..but there are some issues: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/125378-westendorf-bc-4200-grapple.html

Since the two "jaws" are independent you are relying solely on the center torque tube of the loader to keep everything tied together and the loader from racking. Every other attachment provides rigidity to the loader when it's attached.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts