Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an x758 with 54" deck, and I also have the mulch kit, and a bagger.
I have the stock blades, and another set of blades (that look pretty stock) that came with the bagger or mulch kit.

I was just wondering, for quality of cut, mulching capability, and bagging/lift capability, what are the best blades out there?
I like to keep my cool season tall fescue at 3 1/2- 4 inches, I only cut my 0.5 acre lawn and ideally only want to take the deck off once per yer when storing in fall.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I always found the stock blades gave a great cut; they have good lift, but aren't designed to mulch. That said, I installed Gator blades on my X7's 54C deck about a year after I bought it, and used them for the next 10 years. They did shred the clippings more than stock blades, and they had sufficient lift for a Power Flow system. They were really good on leaves.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I wasn't a fan of the stock blades for my 54HC deck with my power flow. They did a horrible job holding an edge when constantly dealing with small branches. The blades didn't hold the edge as well as I hoped. I did feel that they did have decent lift the power flow. For my 2nd season I opted to replace them with Gator. These offered superior resistance to dulling with the branches. I felt they also offered superior lift capability, no tennis ball was ever safe. LOL For my 3rd season I kept the same G6 blades but opted for the full time mulching kit and removed the powerful from my machine. Man do they do a hell of a job mulching. If the grass isn't wet, insanely long, or your moving too fast, they turn ever blade of grass into a fine clipping.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I run Gator blades on my 54HC. The stock blades leave a nice cut, but they're a pain to sharpen with that wave on them. The Gator's give just as nice of a cut, but they chop the clippings up finer and they're easier to sharpen since they're straight across the whole length.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts