Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I have been very pleased in my tractor supply phd.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can always do a "Search" in the bar, in the upper right hand corner of this page. You will find a wealth of info there on various manufactures and opinions. So far, I have not heard a bad thing about any of them. Good Luck! :bigthumb:

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
592 Posts
For 60 holes I would recommend a good set of post hole diggers. A tractor mounted PHD is probably overkill for 60 holes.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
The shape my body is in these days, it would give out after 6 holes and then 1 more to bury me in.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've dug about 50 holes with manual post hole diggers in the last couple years as well. I cleaned every augered post hole with the manual diggers too. In the soil where I live, you have to have a digger bar to get anywhere. No down force on the auger other than dead weight and the agressiveness of the bit makes some holes undrillable. Don't get the hole plumb and on the string line correctly and you'll be using a digger bar or trenching shovel to open the hole up and then once again cleaning it out with manual post hole diggers.

I helped a friend build about 700 feet of 5' tall 4"x2" no climb horse fence last year, and he went out and got some fancy post hole diggers that weighed close to 10 lbs. We ended up using my hickory handled light weight post hole diggers to clean holes. If you're tamping the holes with a digger bar, the 16lb 72" steel rod will take most of your energy lifting and pounding all day.

The year before last I put in 1200 feet of fence around my house for dogs and keeping out critters. This year I've built about 550 feet of no climb fence for donkeys and goats. Tons of fun. No gym membership required.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have about 60 fence posts that I need to put in. What does everybody recommend for a post hole digger?
If this is a one time job, consider renting one. Just need to make sure its rated for whatever your PTO HP is and make sure your 3 PT can lift it high enough. As others have suggested you could buy a manual one but I them a pain. Great to use for clean up if required but really not useable with my soil.

I have a PDH 300 made by Rotomec for frontier/John Deere. It has served me well. I use it on a 3025E. It's pretty beefy but my dealer cut me a deal on it. I like it (when I have it mounted) for the extra weight compared to a PDH 100 I was considering. I do not like trying to man-handle it when it isn't mounted. It is heavy and awkward to deal with. If you are concerned about no down force, you can always get a hydraulic down force kit but now you are making an expensive attachment.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I find the best one is the one you can borrow from a buddy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I asked on TSC website if it fit the 2025R and they said no. They said I'd have to special order a compact PHD and auger.
Pretty sure Tractor Tim used the TSC post hole digger on his 1025. If it fits that, it will fit the 2025.
Everything Attachments has a better option, but not sure about cost difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is my TSC County Line Post Hole Digger experience. Hopefully you will find this helpful. It shows unboxing, attachment, and usage...including some struggles I had with it.

Tim,

I'm a big subscriber and of course I've seen that video! I was just confused when they told me that it wouldn't fit, so the 2025r will probably do a little bit better then the 1025r, right?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Local auto parts plus a lot more store had a post hold digger on sale. Like so many chain stores they had a "limited supply" in this case meaning one... I was first in line at the door and got the "one" they had.

Sale price was good enough I pretty much got a 12" auger bit for very close to free on the deal. The 12" works well for planting fruit trees, berry bushes, all manor of things Sweetie wants to grow. She is good at it. We use the PHD for this job because she says it is best to "make a $100 hole for a $10 plant" We dig the hole, fill with donkey apples, rabbit barn or what is on hand. Water well, plant tree/bush and use fill dirt to make a moat around plant. Surround with a well anchored woven fence wire cage with a top cover wire to keep the moose from "tasting" the bush and water, water, water.

Next sale I will get a 9" auger as I do have some fence repair and such to do. I have installed some posts in the big pasture to use with electric fence to temporary fence off sections for controlled grazing. Sweetie thinks these posts are just an excuse for determining range when hunting season comes later. Well... Coincidentally.... That kinda works also.. The young bull moose hanging around our small lake this spring and summer has been a bit too rough with some of the fence.

The digger is a Speco 70. It fits and runs fine on the JD 2032R..

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
I asked on TSC website if it fit the 2025R and they said no. They said I'd have to special order a compact PHD and auger.
Tim,

I'm a big subscriber and of course I've seen that video! I was just confused when they told me that it wouldn't fit, so the 2025r will probably do a little bit better then the 1025r, right?
I would hardly trust anything posted the TSC website, heck they can’t even keep standard bushings in stock most of the time, their inventory management system sucks.

Reactions: ky_shawn

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Tim,

Depends on which 2025 it is that you have.
If you have the new one, no, it will be the same. If you have the older 2025, yes, it will lift higher.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts