Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to talk snow in July but making some big purchases. Wife and I just bought 5 acres on top of a mountain with best neighbors ever. (None) lol. Just what we always wanted. However I have to take care of the steep driveway now. Had a pretty steep hill in neighborhood before and cleared it with blade on sxs and hand threw some salt out. This driveway much longer and now that I’m gonna have a pto machine what’s best spreader for salt. Some say for salt. Some say for seed. Metal Vs poly? Etc... btw gonna be on a 2025r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
Well... you did say BEST salt spreader. :) I would stick with something made specifically for salt from a company that specializes in salt dispensing equipment. It will work better and last longer. I would also avoid a PTO spreader. Most of them are going to have a spread width that is way too wide and you'll just waste material.

I recommend a tailgate spreader that attaches to a 2" receiver hitch and has an electric motor. They come in various capacities depending on how much material you need to carry. Most have an option for variable speed. These will give much more control and will be way easier than dealing with a PTO spreader. You can use a 2" receiver trailer tow bar that can hook to the 3PH or quick hitch.

A few of the big name salt spreader brands are:

https://www.meyerproducts.com/salt-spreaders/tailgate

https://www.buyersproducts.com/catalog/saltdogg-17/tailgate-spreaders-469

https://www.snowexproducts.com/product/utility/

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
^^^^^^^ Sound advice above. I have seen many seeders rust away to becoming worthless from spreading fertilizer, salt is just as hard on them. If you did choose a seeder I would for sure want a poly tank.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... you did say BEST salt spreader. :) I would stick with something made specifically for salt from a company that specializes in salt dispensing equipment. It will work better and last longer. I would also avoid a PTO spreader. Most of them are going to have a spread width that is way too wide and you'll just waste material.

I recommend a tailgate spreader that attaches to a 2" receiver hitch and has an electric motor. They come in various capacities depending on how much material you need to carry. Most have an option for variable speed. These will give much more control and will be way easier than dealing with a PTO spreader. You can use a 2" receiver trailer tow bar that can hook to the 3PH or quick hitch.

A few of the big name salt spreader brands are:

https://www.meyerproducts.com/salt-spreaders/tailgate

https://www.buyersproducts.com/catalog/saltdogg-17/tailgate-spreaders-469

https://www.snowexproducts.com/product/utility/
Hadn’t thought about that at all. I’ll look into them. Figured the pto would be the way to go. I’ve had a few for the atv and pull behind kind. They always clump up and jam. But they were all bought at box or farm stores as seeders also. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
I have to ask this if you are talking about a long driveway in the boonies (no neighbors)....

Is the driveway paved? If it is dirt the last thing you want to do is spread salt on it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone used a liquid ice melter. Some of our state road trucks use it now. Idk if it’s available for consumer use but if could just use a boom sprayer to de-ice the road would really work great.

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Has anyone used a liquid ice melter. Some of our state road trucks use it now. Idk if it’s available for consumer use but if could just use a boom sprayer to de-ice the road would really work great.

Here in Penna the state uses salt brine. It is simply salt put into a tank of water until liquified - then sprayed on the road. Some states use a calcium chloride or magnesium chloride solution.

Liquid whatever is only useful if put down before a winter precipitation event. Spraying on top of ice will do little good. That’s where solid salt is needed.

What the state does now is sprays liquified salt brine onto the salt as it is applied to the road - you will see the small tanks on the tailgate of the trucks. What this does is activates the salt right away when it is applied on the road. Salt needs moisture to work. If it is cold and dry (no humidity) salt will just lay there until it gets some moisture to activate.

·
Registered
140 Posts
https://www.ventrac.com/products/accessories/sa250

This is one we have used for a couple years on a back of a Toro sidewalk machine. Haven't heard the guys complaining about clumping with this unit compared to the poly ones on other machines. And since it drops straight down, better than ones with a spinner throwing material everywhere.

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
https://www.ventrac.com/products/accessories/sa250

This is one we have used for a couple years on a back of a Toro sidewalk machine. Haven't heard the guys complaining about clumping with this unit compared to the poly ones on other machines. And since it drops straight down, better than ones with a spinner throwing material everywhere.
Not when you are trying to salt a driveway. :)

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
Depends on driveway, you want to throw it in your grass or control where it is dropped?

2 passes=80 inches.
That wouldn't be too bad... but.... $5400 retail? Wow...

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
If you are going to be spreading some type of granular snow melt / traction aid, I would make sure to have the following;

1. - A means to keep the material screened and de clumped so it can be dropped. So run it through a screen before you add it to the hopper. The spreader should have some type of "agitator" in the hopper to keep the material so it will flow. Most of the good 12 volt spreaders have this feature.

2. - Avoid the PTO spreader as my Frontier spreader throws material 55' wide (I measured it on multiple occasions)........and that's on the lawn. On a hard surface, the material travels even further as it will slide and skip on a hard surface when thrown.

3. - A poly hopper or one designed to handle the corrosive material.

4. - A cover on the hopper to keep the material dry as even flurries will likely cause the material to clump together.

5. - I would focus on the 12 volt spreaders designed for snow melt that mount in a 2" hitch receiver. You may also want to make a rear carry all platform to mount on the 3 point hitch and mount the 12 volt spreader and hitch receiver to the platform. That way, you can carry the extra snow melt material you need for spreading right with the spreader and it provides rear ballast.

6. - I carry about 350lb of snow melt material plus a Honda walk behind snow blower, shovel and the battery powered hand held spreader for the snow melt material. This, with the weight of the platform provides me with about 600 pounds of rear weight, which is ideal for plowing snow and the rear ballast needed. Plus, my ballast is all "useful" and has another purpose which is nice.

7. - As Coaltrain stated, Liquid Snow melt material is only good when applied in advance of snowfall. Plus, its expensive. And many types of it requires mixing with water in the winter as it is sold in a concentrate, as you use a lot of it to cover the surface. The material concentrate has to be mixed so it can spray and that means cleaning the sprayer in the winter months when you really don't want to be having to drag water hoses around and draining them, etc. For the road commissions, they have huge heated garages to do this in. Most homeowners don't. Some hospitals and medical centers require completely clear surfaces and they use the spray, but they have dedicated staff and facilities to deal with this. I don't know any private parties who use the liquid snow melt products.

8. - Always remember that less is more with snow melt material when it is applied correctly. Now that I am using an electric hand held spreader for spreading snow melt on driveways and sidewalks I can accomplish the snow melt with far less than when applied by hand, like 80% less. The good snow melt material, a little goes a long ways......

9. - Unless ice is serious problem such as an Ice storm, I would focus on the snow removal, FIRST. When ever you can plow or blow the snow BEFORE driving over it, it will cut down on the ice issues dramatically.

10. - Also, unless you are using it on a paved surface, I would run the plow instead of the blower as the blower on a non paved surface will not only throw rocks all over the place, it will also pack the snow down and actually make it icy as you will have to run with the blower shoes down and that leaves a tightly packed base under the blower which gets dangerous with freeze and thaw cycles.

11. - Sometimes, when you are in a new locale, you need to experience the winter to know how to best deal with it in your area. For example, recently, someone was asking about how to handle snowfall amounts equivalent to the areas annual total, but when you look at the actual 60 year weather history in that area, the daily high temps were well above freezing on average every month of the year.

Also, while the snowfall totals seemed like it would be a heavy snowfall area, the average depth of snow was 2" or less in every month of the winter season. So, in that location, while they do get snowfall, the snow very rarely accumulates to any serious depth. Plus, the average daily high temps end up melting much of the new snowfall within 24 hours of when it falls.

12. - One other issue for top of the hill / mountain locations, you likely want to have a very good back up power supply source as when you are in a remote location and at the "end of the line", it can take some time to have power restored when there aren't a lot of customers on the service. So, if ice storms or icy conditions are a problem in your area, I would be thinking about a generator large enough to run everything you need, it not the entire home with a "Whole House" generator. If you don't want to have a stand alone generator, you may want to think about a PTO driven generator or a large portable unit to run the essentials to get you through.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Look at the snowex drop pro 600. Its a drop sander.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If you are going to be spreading some type of granular snow melt / traction aid, I would make sure to have the following;

1. - A means to keep the material screened and de clumped so it can be dropped. So run it through a screen before you add it to the hopper. The spreader should have some type of "agitator" in the hopper to keep the material so it will flow. Most of the good 12 volt spreaders have this feature.

2. - Avoid the PTO spreader as my Frontier spreader throws material 55' wide (I measured it on multiple occasions)........and that's on the lawn. On a hard surface, the material travels even further as it will slide and skip on a hard surface when thrown.

3. - A poly hopper or one designed to handle the corrosive material.

4. - A cover on the hopper to keep the material dry as even flurries will likely cause the material to clump together.

5. - I would focus on the 12 volt spreaders designed for snow melt that mount in a 2" hitch receiver. You may also want to make a rear carry all platform to mount on the 3 point hitch and mount the 12 volt spreader and hitch receiver to the platform. That way, you can carry the extra snow melt material you need for spreading right with the spreader and it provides rear ballast.

6. - I carry about 350lb of snow melt material plus a Honda walk behind snow blower, shovel and the battery powered hand held spreader for the snow melt material. This, with the weight of the platform provides me with about 600 pounds of rear weight, which is ideal for plowing snow and the rear ballast needed. Plus, my ballast is all "useful" and has another purpose which is nice.

7. - As Coaltrain stated, Liquid Snow melt material is only good when applied in advance of snowfall. Plus, its expensive. And many types of it requires mixing with water in the winter as it is sold in a concentrate, as you use a lot of it to cover the surface. The material concentrate has to be mixed so it can spray and that means cleaning the sprayer in the winter months when you really don't want to be having to drag water hoses around and draining them, etc. For the road commissions, they have huge heated garages to do this in. Most homeowners don't. Some hospitals and medical centers require completely clear surfaces and they use the spray, but they have dedicated staff and facilities to deal with this. I don't know any private parties who use the liquid snow melt products.

8. - Always remember that less is more with snow melt material when it is applied correctly. Now that I am using an electric hand held spreader for spreading snow melt on driveways and sidewalks I can accomplish the snow melt with far less than when applied by hand, like 80% less. The good snow melt material, a little goes a long ways......

9. - Unless ice is serious problem such as an Ice storm, I would focus on the snow removal, FIRST. When ever you can plow or blow the snow BEFORE driving over it, it will cut down on the ice issues dramatically.

10. - Also, unless you are using it on a paved surface, I would run the plow instead of the blower as the blower on a non paved surface will not only throw rocks all over the place, it will also pack the snow down and actually make it icy as you will have to run with the blower shoes down and that leaves a tightly packed base under the blower which gets dangerous with freeze and thaw cycles.

11. - Sometimes, when you are in a new locale, you need to experience the winter to know how to best deal with it in your area. For example, recently, someone was asking about how to handle snowfall amounts equivalent to the areas annual total, but when you look at the actual 60 year weather history in that area, the daily high temps were well above freezing on average every month of the year.

Also, while the snowfall totals seemed like it would be a heavy snowfall area, the average depth of snow was 2" or less in every month of the winter season. So, in that location, while they do get snowfall, the snow very rarely accumulates to any serious depth. Plus, the average daily high temps end up melting much of the new snowfall within 24 hours of when it falls.

12. - One other issue for top of the hill / mountain locations, you likely want to have a very good back up power supply source as when you are in a remote location and at the "end of the line", it can take some time to have power restored when there aren't a lot of customers on the service. So, if ice storms or icy conditions are a problem in your area, I would be thinking about a generator large enough to run everything you need, it not the entire home with a "Whole House" generator. If you don't want to have a stand alone generator, you may want to think about a PTO driven generator or a large portable unit to run the essentials to get you through.
It’s a semi paved road. Lot of gravel on the road also tho and places where there is no pavement. We usually get 4-5 six inch snows per year and few ice storms however we did get 17 inches last March. Was a surprise. I have to work everyday so can’t just stay home those days. I saw a broadcast pto spreader on YouTube that has an adjustable cone that goes over the spreader so that it only goes as wide as you want. Seems interesting. Most of 12v spreaders I have used before work fine until the hole clogs up. I end up with a stick or something constantly unclogging it. Am hoping to get something with an agitator in the hopper so it will keep the material flowing. I figured a pto would be way to go but I like the looks of auger and also the chain versions but I’m not trying to spend 5k either.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look at the snowex drop pro 600. Its a drop sander.

Wow. That’s nicest spreader I’ve seen. Still about &3000 is a lot to spend.

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
The title of this thread is "Best salt spreader", not most affordable. :hide:

·
Registered
16 Posts

There is practically no waste with a drop sander. And this one is poly. You can use a three point hitch, mount it on a UTV or even a receiver hitch.

I personally have a Bauman drop sander which I bought used before the Snowex was available. Works great.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The title of this thread is "Best salt spreader", not most affordable. :hide:
Can’t argue that. I think the best one for me is gonna be a little cheaper tho lol. I really like that snowex one tho. It’s nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts