Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all,

im trying to plan ahead a few years. i have a charge over a 100 acre farm about 20 min. down the road. one of the fields is overgrown with cedar trees that make it a pain in the butt to bush hog and put fencing in. these trees range from .5" all the way to 6". my question is what implement is best for digging out these trees and piling them up? i looked at the deere av20 grapples, but those dont look good for getting under trees and prying them up. unfortunately, the artillian system is not in the budget and deere forks are coming soon.:banghead:

thanks!!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
IMO,,, rent a small track-hoe,,, and enjoy the day removing the trees,,, :thumbup1gif:

Removing them with a tractor will do more damage to the tractor than the rental cost,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,272 Posts
Don't know what they are called but if you go on you tube you can see where a guy bought and used a V shaped tool with teeth shapes on the inside of the V to dig out cedar trees out of a field. It attaches to the front of the FEL in place of the bucket. You just put it at ground level and go. The V tool does the rest. Cedar trees...gone. You can even use it to pile the trees.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They're called stump buckets. They work really well on skidsteers, but I wonder about the forces they place on a FEL's arms.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't know what they are called but if you go on you tube you can see where a guy bought and used a V shaped tool with teeth shapes on the inside of the V to dig out cedar trees out of a field. It attaches to the front of the FEL in place of the bucket. You just put it at ground level and go. The V tool does the rest. Cedar trees...gone. You can even use it to pile the trees.

Is this it?

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
311 Posts
This looks like it would do the job. Your tractor is probably big enough for this.

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
253 Posts
Every year I'm running around grubbing up autumn olive on my property and the best thing I found so far is a tooth bar on the bucket. I have a dirt dog grapple (similar to the JD style) and the piranha tooth bar on my bucket. The grapple works good but for my purposes is way too slow. The piranha tooth bar works awesome for shrubs/trees up to about 3" in caliper. Keep the loader low and drive in at a medium speed and the thing will just grab and uproot small shrubs trees. I've uprooted 4-5 pines by going up to them in low range and then lifting the bucket while pushing as well. I have sandy loam soil so I don't know if you will get the same results as me but that piranha tooth bar is quite impressive. So far its the best thing I have found for a similar task that you are doing with my 4310.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I don't know about cedar's root structure, but I rip out oaks up to 6" with my root grapple. I knock them over from about 4-6' up and then back up and hook the root ball/stump with the leading edge of the grapple and push or lift (depends how good a grip I can get with the bottom edge) to complete tearing them out of the ground. From there I shove them to where I can get a bite and then stack em up.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all good ideas!

the thing about cedar trees is that you cant knock the damn things over, ime. i think i need something that can dig under the root ball.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
If you wanted to make one of those stump buckets for the rear, it wouldn't be too hard. Then you could leave your forks for piling the trees after digging them out. Even easier if you have a hydraulic top link already.

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
im trying to plan ahead a few years.
Why not just cut the trees and let the roots rot for a year or two and then pull them with your bucket? It doesn't sound like you plan on doing anything else with this lot in the mean time. Is there a need to have the stumps gone now?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i forgot to mention that this field is overgrown in goldenrod. it needs cut and we need to put animals on it this summer. if you cut them down, wont they regrow?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know how big of cedars you are removing or how many, but on my tight budget I ended up putting my forked together and digging around the bigger trees then pushing them over. I have been able to do a 14inch dia oak this way. Problem is it is slow but for needing to remove 15 or so trees it works. :unknown:

Reactions: MoMiner and Levi

·
Registered
674 Posts
I know you are on a budget but I think I would bite the bullet and rent one from the rental place one weekend and it would be done.
The county has one that they clear the roadways with one bad *ss piece of equipment.
This looks like it would be fun not work but that's just me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE5UDCOZT6Y

Doug

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Forestry mulchers are 1K a day plus fuel (lots of it!), where you could rent a mini-ex and be into it for $250 a day and a lot less fuel.

I'm not sure what kind of abuse you'd put on the FEL with cedars. You could always cut them at 4' and put a chain on them and pull with the draw bar.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Brush

I do not know the name of the stuff that the power line contractor uses here. it is a round pellet that you mix with water. 1 cup to 50 gallons and you just spray on the trunk any place near the ground. Only a small spot. The tree or brush dies within a week. Had a huge amount of the autumn orange and killed it the first try. All I can say is that bush is nasty. Great for birds and that is all. The problem with pulling it is that any root left in the ground will sprout a new bush. How that stuff got a start is amazing but in a few years here has covered the the whole county.

Have had a few pieces of wood in the tires from the darn pushes as well after brush chopping.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the neighbor has a couple old construction backhoes. would that be an option?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hydraulic excavators would do the job in no time. If they are the old cable back hoes it would be a lot slower but could get the job done. Not many operators left that know how to operate the old cable hoes though.
Just like you need to get a CDL license with a standard transmission vehicle today or your license is marked "Automatic Only" and you can't drive a standard transmission vehicle without retesting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts