Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I initially posted this question on TBN but figured since I have joined the rest of you greene blooded operators, I should really be asking here.

I just purchased a '15 JD 1025R TLB and am trying to determine which tooth bar I should purchase given my application. I have probably 1.5 acres of overgrown / not maintained woods. At one point it had all been clear cut and wasn't properly thinned as it grew back up. To make matters worse at some point someone introduced an extremely invasive bamboo species. All this said.. I need something to help me clear out lots of bamboo, virginia creeper, and pines varying in size. I have no issues cutting the pines out via chainsaw (I don't expect full sized tractor performance out of a SCUT).

The two bars I am currently considering are:
North American Implements - Tooth Bar - NAI
Bxpanded - BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar

It seems like Bxpanded's bar may do better at cutting bamboo; but NAI's seems like it'd do better at pulling/racking vining plant life. I have yet to request a quote from NAI but if anyone has any idea what we'd be looking at there I'd be interested to know. Also if anyone has had positive experience with another manufacturer please feel free to throw their name in the hat as well.

Thanks!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,283 Posts
This is what I'm going to be getting, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar. I too have a lot of weeds and vines and berries. I also have a lot of rocks and need to do some digging, all of which most say this is the way to go. Plus it does a great job at back dragging. There is one other one out there that I can't think of the name right now but it straps to the bucket and also has teeth on the bottom to grab vines and such. This would be great except for the back dragging part. I wouldn't be able to make a smooth and level area if I wanted too. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm somewhat afraid of cracking a tooth or the whole bar with Bxpanded's bar. I like the way NAI's seems to have separate teeth that should be able to be individually replaced. Though I'm not sure that my fear is well founded...

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
Just my opinion but I think the NAI style are better for digging in rocky soil and the Piranha for things like clearing plants/trees.

The strap style that Levi mentions is, I think, the ratchet rake which I sort of view as a "Piranha lite"

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
This is the company I will likely be buying a tooth bar from. Bucket Toothbars

They say "lifetime toolbar", but I was unable to find out what that really means. They also say replaceable tips.

Dave

Reactions: BigJim55 and Levi

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm somewhat afraid of cracking a tooth or the whole bar with Bxpanded's bar. I like the way NAI's seems to have separate teeth that should be able to be individually replaced. Though I'm not sure that my fear is well founded...
What Tonton said! My Piranah is one "honkin' piece of tough steel" and I don't believe a 10XX machine could break/bend it. I think one could herniate the FEL or bucket before that bar gets damaged. My only experience so far is with rocks and a few bushes, but working the rocks was enough to convince me I made a good choice for what I do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I LOVE my piranha toothbar. I don't think you'd break it with a 1 series tractor.

I've cleared a TON of overgrown land, including taking out some 2-3" diameter trees (push them over with the tractor, put the bar under the tree and pry them out....works like a charm.) It does a fantastic job.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,283 Posts
Just my opinion but I think the NAI style are better for digging in rocky soil and the Piranha for things like clearing plants/trees.

The strap style that Levi mentions is, I think, the ratchet rake which I sort of view as a "Piranha lite"
Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright gentlemen.. you have convinced me to go with the PTB. Since I have yet to receive, or even view (they're getting it from a partner dealer today - delivering tomorrow), my tractor what are the odds that it'd have anything other than the 48/49 (48.5") bucket? I assume its a certainty that it'll have the standard bucket but has anyone on here seen any TLB/FILB setups come with a non-standard bucket? The print out they gave me doesn't spec specific portions of the TLB package - just TLB + 60" auto connect deck. I'm not sure what the shipping time frame is like but it'd be great if I could have it Monday as I am off work.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a related note - If anyone in the RTP, North Carolina area has a racket rake they wouldn't mind renting out for cheap I may be interested when I get to that portion of the land clearing project. The first portion I'm going to tackle is mainly just dense bamboo.. all of the viney crap is around the perimeter.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
There is a good chance of it having a 53 inch bucket. That is what mine had.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One (M8)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? I thought the 48/49 was "standard equipment". Perhaps I've been looking at too many different brands/models though.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I have one exactly like shown in your first link:

Tooth Bar - NAI

It was made by Markham Welding (NC I think) who is no longer in business. I don't think the BXpanded stuff was around back when I got mine.

I can't make a comparison, but I am super happy with my tooth bar. My main use for it was clearing areas of woods that were infested with jagger bushes (I guess they are wild blackberry bush type things common around here) and small tree saplings around 1 1/2" diameter at the base. I put the toothbar on my bucket plus my Bush Hog on the rear. I set my bucket to dig down about 2" and skim along like that. Doing that would uproot all those jagger bushes and other stuff and push it along. Then anything that got pulled out and left behind would get chewed up by the Bush Hog. I was so pleased with how that worked out. I now have those areas of woods to the point where I can mow them with my belly mower in the raised position.

Which is better - I don't know. For my application I'm sure that either would have done just as well.

I will say one thing however - I was in contact with BXpanded earlier this week about a different item. Harry (the owner?) got back to me right away and seemed like he genuinely wanted to help me. That goes a long way with me (customer service) so I won't hesitate to purchase anything from him in the future.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the ptb and it's plenty rugged. Best to have both bars as the are different. Bolting on off no big deal. Measure the inside of your bucket and send that in with your order. Very pleased with the quality of the ptb. There is a bit of a learning curve on what it will do.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I know the 49" is standard and the 53" was an extra couple hundred buck option for my 1026R. When you get the TLB I'd think it would come with the same bucket and have the 53" and 60" as optional extras. I think they have an option for the Back-Hoe bucket also.

From Mutton's website. https://www.muttonpower.com/p-9387-john-deere-h120-front-loader.aspx

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
On a related note - If anyone in the RTP, North Carolina area has a racket rake they wouldn't mind renting out for cheap I may be interested when I get to that portion of the land clearing project. The first portion I'm going to tackle is mainly just dense bamboo.. all of the viney crap is around the perimeter.
I cleared a TON of viney crap for my neighbors 18x30 barn he put up in his woods....probably cleared a 30x50 spot for him and took a couple hours.

Bring the bucket over the top of what you want gone, curl the bucket down so the teeth dig into the ground, apply some down-pressure and back up.....works great.

I want to say from order to delivery for my PTB was at most 1 week.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts

·
Administrator
20,982 Posts
Looks like set-screws behind each shank. Look at the photos again, you'll see it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts