Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a trailer for towing my X350 about 300 miles round trip every other week. I have some properties out of town that I've had to start maintaining the lawns and it's just easier (and cheaper believe it or not) for me to do it myself.

I'll be pulling with an F-150 equipped with a V8. I'd like to be as economical as possible while maintaining safety and versatility. Along with the lawn tractor, I'll also need to take a small push mower to get in one backyard that I cannot access with this mower as well as the typical weed eater and blower and a couple of small 2gal gas tanks.

Does anyone have suggestions? Features that I should be very specific when looking? Should I stick with new or press my luck with Craigslist?

I've been driving the thing up into the bed of the truck with ramps and truthfully, it scares me. I have to find the perfect spot to lower the height of the bed otherwise I can't get it up in there. Longer ramps just aren't an option. I'm already scared to death of the ones I'm currently using and have pinched my fingers more times than I care to admit. :banghead:

I apologize for being a newbie. :) I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for - pretty sure once I start learning the lingo I'll get better at this.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
If I was towing my mower around every other week like that I'd look for a used enclosed trailer (Something in the range of a 6'x10' or 6'x12') and use it as my storage shed for the mowers and their accessories.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
What sized mower deck do you have on the X350? It's such a small lawn tractor that just about any small trailer will do. Your F150 won't even know you are pulling anything. You don't need anything special. A small landscape trailer with a drop-down rear ramp will make loading and unloading a breeze. Just get something wide enough to accomodate the width of your mower deck and long enough to have room at the front for your push mower and gas cans. Probably best to just toss the weed wacker in the back of the pickup.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Save Yourself A Lot of Money

I need to find a trailer for towing my X350 about 300 miles round trip every other week. I have some properties out of town that I've had to start maintaining the lawns and it's just easier (and cheaper believe it or not) for me to do it myself.

I'll be pulling with an F-150 equipped with a V8. I'd like to be as economical as possible while maintaining safety and versatility. Along with the lawn tractor, I'll also need to take a small push mower to get in one backyard that I cannot access with this mower as well as the typical weed eater and blower and a couple of small 2gal gas tanks.

Does anyone have suggestions? Features that I should be very specific when looking? Should I stick with new or press my luck with Craigslist?

I've been driving the thing up into the bed of the truck with ramps and truthfully, it scares me. I have to find the perfect spot to lower the height of the bed otherwise I can't get it up in there. Longer ramps just aren't an option. I'm already scared to death of the ones I'm currently using and have pinched my fingers more times than I care to admit. :banghead:

I apologize for being a newbie. :) I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for - pretty sure once I start learning the lingo I'll get better at this.
I was faced with the same problem. I have an F-250 4x4 and I had to haul my tractor every week to maintain another property also.... I bought a set of arched loading ramps from Sears (photo below). Always load with the tail gate as low to the ground as possible and have the ruck facing downhill if possible. I have done this hundreds of times without a hiccup. One caution though - NEVER stop the tractor when you are halfway up the ramp or you could risk doing a wheelie and flipping over backwards. If you do stop on the ramp, back off completely and start again from ground level. Pulling a trailer always reduces fuel mileage due to added friction of pulling another two wheels over the road. Avoid the trailer if you don't really need one, or secretly want one! :yahoo: Let us know how you made out!

Tractor Loading Ramps.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What sized mower deck do you have on the X350? It's such a small lawn tractor that just about any small trailer will do. Your F150 won't even know you are pulling anything. You don't need anything special. A small landscape trailer with a drop-down rear ramp will make loading and unloading a breeze. Just get something wide enough to accomodate the width of your mower deck and long enough to have room at the front for your push mower and gas cans. Probably best to just toss the weed wacker in the back of the pickup.
42" - the 48" won't fit in the bed of the truck and I couldn't justify the price difference for the extra 6" either way.

I think my biggest concern (?) is what do I look for to make sure I'm not going to have the trailer "popping up" on me down the highway. The speed limit is 85 part of that way. Not that I'll go 85 with the trailer, just saying driving 45-55mph for 150 miles makes for a much, much longer day for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was faced with the same problem. I have an F-250 4x4 and I had to haul my tractor every week to maintain another property also.... I bought a set of arched loading ramps from Sears (photo below). Always load with the tail gate as low to the ground as possible and have the ruck facing downhill if possible. I have done this hundreds of times without a hiccup. One caution though - NEVER stop the tractor when you are halfway up the ramp or you could risk doing a wheelie and flipping over backwards. If you do stop on the ramp, back off completely and start again from ground level. Pulling a trailer always reduces fuel mileage due to added friction of pulling another two wheels over the road. Avoid the trailer if you don't really need one, or secretly want one! :yahoo: Let us know how you made out!

View attachment 338570
My current ramp setup is a 3-ply and what I like best about it is I don't have to worry with lining it up perfectly. It's very forgiving. The yards/streets where I'm unloading/loading are not. Coupled with the fact that I need the push mower to do one backyard I just feel like a trailer is my best option until I decide whether I'm going to hang on to these properties or sell them.

I have plenty of other things I can use the trailer for. Plenty! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
42" - the 48" won't fit in the bed of the truck and I couldn't justify the price difference for the extra 6" either way.

I think my biggest concern (?) is what do I look for to make sure I'm not going to have the trailer "popping up" on me down the highway. The speed limit is 85 part of that way. Not that I'll go 85 with the trailer, just saying driving 45-55mph for 150 miles makes for a much, much longer day for me.
A 42" deck should easily fit in a 5' wide landscape trailer.

What do you mean by trailer "popping up" ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A 42" deck should easily fit in a 5' wide landscape trailer.

What do you mean by trailer "popping up" ?
Driving faster than a trailer is rated will make it "pop up" and bounce. Probably not the correct terminology, but I've seen trailers doing this down the highway by my house.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use a 5x10' Landscape/Utility trailer for the lawn tractors. This size is perfect for me, can haul most dimensional lumbar boards and sheets flat, trailer full of mulch etc. Anything larger and I use a tandem axle. I think this is the perfect size all around trailer, easy to handle at 500 lbs.

IMG_0899.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I'll second Finding a good used enclosed trailer. I have two and a open trailer and the advantage to the enclosed trailer is evrything is out of the weather and less like to get damanged by flying debris. Also people dont know what you are hauling. Mount hooks on the wall to hold weed whips, and tiedowns on the floor to hold the mower secure. What ever kind of trailer you get be sure and SECURE the load.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
Driving faster than a trailer is rated will make it "pop up" and bounce. Probably not the correct terminology, but I've seen trailers doing this down the highway by my house.
A lot of that has to do with positioning the load on the trailer to achieve the correct tongue weight and ensuring that your vehicle's hitch has the proper drop-down to allow the trailer to ride at the correct attitude. Even ensuring that all this is correct, I don't think I would want to pull a landscape trailer at 85 MPH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to one place today. I think the "pop up" I'm referring to is when the wheels are too small. I mean a wheel can only go so fast before it starts causing issues, right?

The guy tried to tell me I could only drive 45-50mph towing a trailer. Yeah, uh, no. 150 miles would take well over 4hrs with traffic which means I spend over 8hrs driving there and back plus the time mowing. Definitely need to find something capable of highway (is 70 unreasonable?) speeds.

I'm guessing I need to look at trailers with 15" wheels??

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Went to one place today. I think the "pop up" I'm referring to is when the wheels are too small. I mean a wheel can only go so fast before it starts causing issues, right?

The guy tried to tell me I could only drive 45-50mph towing a trailer. Yeah, uh, no. 150 miles would take well over 4hrs with traffic which means I spend over 8hrs driving there and back plus the time mowing. Definitely need to find something capable of highway (is 70 unreasonable?) speeds.

I think your talking about lightweight trailers that have too stiff of springs. My dad made a light 4x6 trailer years ago to haul his atv. It pulls great with the Atv on it. Unloaded it tends to bounce around a lot. The smallest bump in the road will cause it too come off the ground. Not a big deal behind a size truck, almost unnoticeable . Darn scary behind a small suv.

70 MPH is a reasonable towing speed. Some will tell you not tow that fast. I drive 5 - 10 over the posted speed limit, its not unusual for me to get passed. See a lot of folks pulling boats, rvs, and other trailers at 70 -80 mph.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If you consider the total cost;
time,
fuel,
trailer,
maintenance,
etc,,,,

I believe having a second mower is the correct answer.
Forget towing, simply mow with a second machine at the second location.

Just the safety alone of not having to haul a couple times a month will make the second machine worthwhile.

That is a LOT of haul miles per year,,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I will "third" the suggestion of a used enclosed trailer in good shape. Plan on spending time looking if you need to constrain the cost significantly.

The enclosed trailer will be the best protection for the mower considering how many "highway miles" you'll be putting on it, plus the ability to store everything in the trailer will be a bonus.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have a similar problem with cutting lots other than where I live. Ended up buying a 6'X10' landscaping trailer. My deciding factor was cost & my tow vehicle. A Wrangler is only rated for 2,000 lbs. If I had a truck and more money I would have definitely went enclosed.
The 6'X10' was about the largest my Jeep can handle and about the minimum size to get the job done. Needed that wide to fit my 54" deck. It is just long enough to fit the tractor and a push mower behind it. You will always be glad that you went bigger when hauling other things. lol

Got it used from a local trailer place for $800. Till I bought the hitch and had them install 4-D rings it was about $1,200 total.

Trailer has 15" wheels. Have run it down the highway about 70-75 mph without problems. We have been using it for my FSIL's HVAC business. Behind his full size van you don't even know it's back there. Without a load it does bounce around quite a bit. Especially if the tires are at maximum pressure. Not much can be done about this.

Here are a couple pictures of my set up. This is at one of the properties that I service. Unfortunately I have to keep getting him to move one of his cars that are usually in the way. lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
I doubt you will find ANY trailer manufacturer that will recommend towing faster than 60-70MPH. Also, some states have maximum trailer towing speed limits.

I forgot to mention this on my first reply. Don't even THINK about getting a trailer with tires smaller than 15". Especially for the distances you intend to travel.

·
Premium Member
10,670 Posts
If you consider the total cost;
time,
fuel,
trailer,
maintenance,
etc,,,,

I believe having a second mower is the correct answer.
Forget towing, simply mow with a second machine at the second location.

Just the safety alone of not having to haul a couple times a month will make the second machine worthwhile.

That is a LOT of haul miles per year,,, :flag_of_truce:
The more I read this thread the more this recommendation makes the most sense. Trailer tires and wheel bearings will take a beating at those speeds and distances.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

Honestly, you don't need a trailer, you need to hire someone to mow at the other location. Seriously, it will cost you less.

Time: 8 hours + loading/unloading + mowing time figure a 12 hour day. What is 12 hours of your time worth?
Fuel 12-14 gallons @ 2.50 25-30 bucks
Trailer cost, figure 1200-1500 for a high quality one
Trailer hitch for the truck, 300 bucks if it doesn't have one already
Registration, taxes and fees on the trailer ??
Usage/tires/blades/belts/oil changes etc on both the truck and mower

I'm thinking you can hire a service to mow the property a couple/few times a month for a hundred bucks or so, maybe less if you find a teenager in the area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts