Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just built a new deck using salt-treated pine lumber. Need suggestions as to what type of water sealant treatment would be best?

Would appreciate any benefit of your experiences . . . !

:dunno:

IMG_20130417_174113_849.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Looking good Ralph! :good2:

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jason . . . but how do you treat the doggone thing to keep it from falling down in the next few weeks? :unknown:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Good question. I've never heard or used salt treated pine before. :unknown: Is it nice material?

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's decent lumber. Supposed to last a while. Used it to replace
our old redwood deck I built in '77. Carpenter bees did a number on the redwood the last 4-5 years. :eek:
Can't find redwood any more at a reasonable price so used the treated pine. Now want to apply a stain/preservative . . . just gotta' pick the right one.
:confused:
Going to Lowe's tomorrow . . .
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just built a new deck using salt-treated pine lumber. Need suggestions as to what type of water sealant treatment would be best?

Would appreciate any benefit of your experiences . . . !
Used motor oil seems to work good on the deck of my brother's trailer and the sides of my neighbor's barn. Apply it on a hot sunny summer day, and within a day the "oil" smell is gone. I used CWF on my polebarn several years ago, but I'm going with the used oil when I re-apply it later this year.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Used motor oil seems to work good on the deck of my brother's trailer and the sides of my neighbor's barn. Apply it on a hot sunny summer day, and within a day the "oil" smell is gone. I used CWF on my polebarn several years ago, but I'm going with the used oil when I re-apply it later this year.
I do this on my equipment trailer, BUT I mix the oil 50/50 with Diesel to help it soak in. I am unsure I would do this on a deck by my home as that oil may get tracked in the home over time and ruin the flooring near the deck.

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
Doesn't the wood need to dry for a season before you seal it?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any reason why you didn't go with a synthetic deck material?
Price.

I retired from Eastman Chemical Co. and they make synthetic deck material now . . . it's really nice and is sold at the local Lowe's store but is prohibitively expensive. I compared it to the lumber I used and it was roughly six times as expensive . . . Redwood would have been less pricey but is just not available in NE Tennessee . . . so went with the treated lumber.

There may be other synthetics out there, but I didn't look any further than Lowe's.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wife vetoed used motor oil. End of discussion . . . :hide:

And, you're right Kenny. We will do the deck treatment this fall or possibly next spring. Just want to be sure I get it on the list of 'things to do'! :good2:

Appreciate the tips, guys . . . also did a Google search and found several decent alternatives. Plenty of time to research these before I purchase the sealant.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Wife vetoed used motor oil. End of discussion . . . :hide:
It was worth a shot, and it's cheap. :laugh:

Seriously though, the CWF works good. I put it on at least 6 years ago, maybe 7 now. My polebarn is pine board & batten siding. I did wait one year to apply it so the pine sap dried out, and I used a cheap Wagner power painter to put the CWF on. Home Depot sells it in 5 gallon buckets.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
CWF?:unknown:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
it was worth a shot, and it's cheap. :laugh:

Seriously though, the cwf works good. I put it on at least 6 years ago, maybe 7 now. My polebarn is pine board & batten siding. I did wait one year to apply it so the pine sap dried out, and i used a cheap wagner power painter to put the cwf on. Home depot sells it in 5 gallon buckets.
x2, cwf?, wtf?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Google says . . .

"CWF-UV is a Clear Wood Finish deck stain that is designed to revitalize weather-beaten, dried-out decks and exterior wood."

Google is our friend!

:good2:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Google says . . .

Google is our friend!:good2:
You're definitely right. Sometimes I'm just too lazy and or want someone's personal definition if you know what I mean. :tongue:

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
Price.

I retired from Eastman Chemical Co. and they make synthetic deck material now . . . it's really nice and is sold at the local Lowe's store but is prohibitively expensive. I compared it to the lumber I used and it was roughly six times as expensive . . . Redwood would have been less pricey but is just not available in NE Tennessee . . . so went with the treated lumber.

There may be other synthetics out there, but I didn't look any further than Lowe's.
I know the synthetics are higher in price, and I've used them for small platforms and the like so the cost wasn't that big a deal for me. If I ever build a deck for some reason I'll probably bite the bullet and use synthetic as I hate maintenance and the ongoing cost that goes with it, which eventually wipes out the initial cost savings. Fortunately there is a Deck Superstore in the Denver metro area that sells about 6 or more brands of synthetic decking, and the various grades within each brand. I don't even bother with Lowe's or Depot for things like that. The same goes for vinyl fencing.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I suppose since your wife vetoed used motor oil, she probably wouldn't be open to used transformer oil from old utillity transformers. You know, the good stuff with the PCB's. As long as you are not in the "child bearing years" it's perfectly safe....well it's pretty safe anyway.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Had a horrible experience last year on a customers deck with Benjamin Moores oil based deck stain/sealer, stay away from that.Do some reading on the interweb before you buy anything, you can learn a lot from other peoples experience there are forums just for that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts