Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
after stump and brush removal, what does a guy use to further smooth the land? a rotary tiller or a box blade?
I can post some pics later of the plot of land I am talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Details

after stump and brush removal, what does a guy use to further smooth the land? a rotary tiller or a box blade?
I can post some pics later of the plot of land I am talking about
Not to be a smart. . . about it but how much land and what implements do you have?

If it's a lot of land, I would rent a bigger machine- probably a tracked skid steer or even a dozer.

If it's not much land but this is a one time deal, I would rent a box blade with rippers or a land leveler if possible. If you have a recurring need for land moving device, I'd probably figure out what the long term need is and buy that but rent anything else that you need for one job.

Box blade, land leveler, disk and FEL, rear blade all work. Some work better than others depending on the conditions. A tiller is great to loosen the dirt but you will likely still need to move it from high spots to fill in the stump holes. Same with a disk.

Can you give more detail?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes sure, but its pretty limited to the cleared area in the photo,,,I'm doing a little at a time, no more than 1 acre total,
I only have a FEL, and BH,,was looking into a tiller,,,

·
Registered
171 Posts
Rough it out with the backhoe and finish with the front loader bucket. Were only talking approx 212' x 212'. Too small to buy one use attachments. You have the mother lode, just apply. Besides you will get good seat time with the hoe which will improve your skills for future tasks. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My vote is for a Box Blade

I had some hills from my geothermal loops that had settled and needed further smoothing. I got advice to try the FEL to smooth it out, and due to my inexperience or lack of patience, I was only making it worse, after several hours. I ended up ponying up a few bucks and buying a BB. I had that job done in 1/10th of the time it would have taken with FEL.

I purchased the Frontier BB5048L Box blade. I think I paid around 700 for it. It is well built and worked fantastically. I originally tried to find something on Craigslist cheaper, but I have no regrets. I debated on the BB2048L but it seemed to light and not as well constructed and it was basically the same price. The BB2048 was really expensive and I couldn't justify the cost for my use. The L stands for limited and is for use on Cat 0 machines like the 1025. I had to call around to several dealers to find it, and I ended up taking a drive about an hour away. Met a great guy out there and ended up buying my 54" QA snow blade that has seen use this year. Got a 2fer deal.

Quick note: I have a Harbour freight quick hitch, and I had to use a disk cutter to cut a small 1/2 square out of the guards by the Quick attach bushings to get it to work. It took about 5 minutes. After that it is easy on/easy off. I built a dolly out of scrap wood and cheap castors so I could move the BB around. I liked this BB over some others because it was heavier and seemed pretty well built. I had looked at TSC and Rural King first though, but apparently pricing is done regionally and my region had really high pricing. It was basically the same price for the Frontier.

Quick note 2: Using a box blade takes a little practice. Be prepared to adjust the "front and back arm" of the 3 point hitch a little to figure out how that works with leavelling. I picked it up pretty quick fortunately. Tilted back (arm extended) pulls dirt, tilted forward (arm screwed tightly) smooths. I read a few good threads on here before I started using it, and that made all the difference.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Box Blade. I have a titan generic 48" and use it for a lot for cutting trails, clearing tiny meadows etc.
In the picture (provided it uploaded) we cleared a meadow with the box blade moving and smoothing a lot of dirt. picture is after the fact as we were raking in the grass seed. The meadow started with a four foot pile of yard debris, dirt and trash including a section of sidewalk someone dumped on the property.

FEL is great for a lot of things but it doesn't dig well and it pivots with the tractor. Box blade is independent on the 3 pt which makes a huge difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Start with what you have

Rough it out with the backhoe and finish with the front loader bucket. Were only talking approx 212' x 212'. Too small to buy one use attachments. You have the mother lode, just apply. Besides you will get good seat time with the hoe which will improve your skills for future tasks. Good luck.
I agree. You can at least get it in pretty reasonable shape with the BH and FEL. If you find that getting the final finish grade isn't working, then rent a box blade or land leveler.

That's a fun project unless you are on a deadline. You might want to really think through your finished plan because some of the hills and swales might be just right as they are.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not to be a smart. . . about it but how much land and what implements do you have?

If it's a lot of land, I would rent a bigger machine- probably a tracked skid steer or even a dozer.

If it's not much land but this is a one time deal, I would rent a box blade with rippers or a land leveler if possible. If you have a recurring need for land moving device, I'd probably figure out what the long term need is and buy that but rent anything else that you need for one job.

Box blade, land leveler, disk and FEL, rear blade all work. Some work better than others depending on the conditions. A tiller is great to loosen the dirt but you will likely still need to move it from high spots to fill in the stump holes. Same with a disk.

Can you give more detail?

Treefarmer
I agree. We cleared about 2 acres and rented a skid steer with a combo bucket. We ripped the stumps out of the ground, removed trees, releveled the area. It was a Terex PT-72 with an 84" combo bucket for $1300 (for 56 hours/7 days) Well worth it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had decent luck with my FEL (don't have a BH) and a landscape rake I got a deal on. I can get my stumps or what have you dug up, back-drag and work it a bit with the FEL, then go over it with the rake.

Since then I've added a disk, plow, and spring harrow (other items I got a deal on) I'll work with come spring.

Keep an eye on craigslist and local farm/home sales pages on FB or online. You can sometimes find an implement for a song.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ditto on looking at Craigslist or FB for used implements. I went without a BB for six months (after I got the 5085E) and thought I wouldn’t need it, especially after I got the 318E skid steer. I have used skid steers extensively but it still can level like the bb can. In my opinion anyways. Yes, it can level but if the terrain is really rough, the bucket bounces all over. The tractor will as well (with the bb) but after a pass or two, it smooths out. And if you go in reverse first, it levels the terrain significantly. Just don’t go too quickly.

Sunbelt rents bbs for around $130/week around here. I bought my now sold 6’ King Kutter for around $500. And I sold it for $500...so I think I got my use out of it.

The added benefit of the bb is it can double as your ballast box if you don’t have one. Just add some weight to it. And once you have a bb, you will find many uses for it.

This is, of course, a biased opinion....

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you're not going to do any more than that I would look at renting or borrowing a box blade AND rock/landscape rake. Doesn't look like you have any rocks. Pull the trash off with the rake then knock out the bumps and level with the box. Finish up by soothing out with the rake. Looks too wet to really smooth it out good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I really like my box blade I leveled this piece of land out last year with just a box blade and fel I put a sea container on it to house my :greentractorride: it was my first big project with the tractor and it took a lot of time to figure out how to use the blade correctly

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
1025r scraper.jpg
I found this 60" Massey BB for $350 and used it level out "The Park".
When I don't have the BH on I also use the BB for ballast as this sucker is HEAVY.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'll +1 a landscape rake for general area smoothing. The box blade is good for cutting/moving material in a straight line, but a rake can be angled & used to make windrows of collected material (rock/roots/tree trash) & move those windrows progressively to one side for eventual collection if desired. The landscape items can handle curves much more easily (with less stress) than an engaged box blade.

I started out with a 60" box blade for the 3038e, but eventually added both a 60" landscape rake & a 60" landscape blade for things that the box blade didn't do as well. The box blade is a bit much for the 1025R (unless moving loose material) but the other two work pretty well.

Nick

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
What about a Ratchet Rake for the front bucket? I haven't used one, but have heard they are pretty doggone good for back dragging. I am thinking about getting one myself as I have some similar needs as the OP.

A couple of problems with suggesting renting equipment... Around here none of the Sunbelts have any tractor attachments. Even going out to a 100 mile radius, the selection of attachments is pretty sparse. Also, trying to find a rental attachment sized for a 1025R might be tough. There are a couple of regional / local places around here that do have tillers and box blades, but they are sized for bigger tractors. I think the that box the tiller and the box blade are 72" - a bit bigger than the 1025R can handle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Levelling rough lawn

OK. How about the best way/equipment to smooth an existing lawn that has become rough from erosion without damaging the good stuff? I have a 1025R with FEL.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about a Ratchet Rake for the front bucket? I haven't used one, but have heard they are pretty doggone good for back dragging. I am thinking about getting one myself as I have some similar needs as the OP.

A couple of problems with suggesting renting equipment... Around here none of the Sunbelts have any tractor attachments. Even going out to a 100 mile radius, the selection of attachments is pretty sparse. Also, trying to find a rental attachment sized for a 1025R might be tough. There are a couple of regional / local places around here that do have tillers and box blades, but they are sized for bigger tractors. I think the that box the tiller and the box blade are 72" - a bit bigger than the 1025R can handle.
yeah I'm not a big renter,,I like my own stuff:dunno:

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK. How about the best way/equipment to smooth an existing lawn that has become rough from erosion without damaging the good stuff? I have a 1025R with FEL.:greentractorride:
I've dealt with some of that on my place. I've taken some fresh dirt to fill the erosion, ran my landscape rake over it (set where it's just above the "good stuff", gauge wheels help), seed, then roll it with a good, heavy roller.

May not be the best method, but the way I've managed it. Same thing my dad does on his properties. It's actually his roller I use.

Even if you hit the good grass, as long as you don't rip out the roots it'll come back. At least with most grasses I've ever dealt with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I finally thought to take a picture of some of the work I've done on my place. This was all brush, thorns, and deadfall when I started. I'm not done, but things thawed out enough the last few days I could get out and do a bit more this afternoon.

This is all with the FEL, the 60" landscape rake, a chainsaw, and a logging chain. There is equipment out there that'd do a better job, I have no doubt, but these basic things have been working well.

Hopefully we'll get a warm spell and I'll have some time off so I can get it ready to disk and get some seed of some sort in before spring gets here.

KIMG0384.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts