Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1025R came with Rim Guard in the rear tires and five suitcase weights up front. The machine is only a lawnmower for us, so I don't see a lot of use for the supplemental weight.

Is the best way to remove the liquid ballast to remove the wheels, pull the valve cores, and let gravity do its thing?

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
Our 1025R came with Rim Guard in the rear tires and five suitcase weights up front. The machine is only a lawnmower for us, so I don't see a lot of use for the supplemental weight.

Is the best way to remove the liquid ballast to remove the wheels, pull the valve cores, and let gravity do its thing?
did u get a loader with ur tractor? if u did i would not drain the fluid-isn't gonna hurt ur lawn one bit.

rim guard is very thick--probably not drain well going thru the valve --probably end up getting plugged. just keep the rim guard. just my 2 cts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did u get a loader with ur tractor? if u did i would not drain the fluid-isn't gonna hurt ur lawn one bit.

rim guard is very thick--probably not drain well going thru the valve --probably end up getting plugged. just keep the rim guard. just my 2 cts
No, the 1025 did not come with a loader. Not sure a loader would fit with suitcase weights on the front. It has a 60D mower and a canopy. It does nothing but mow grass. The excess weight isn't doing my yard any favors.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
1,012 Posts
With the valve stem at the 6 o'clock position, remove the valve core with a valve core tool (available at any auto parts store or Walmart). Gravity will do the rest. When the fluid stops coming out, fill it back up with air. Rimguard is non-toxic so you don't need to be concerned with it running into the ground.

As for the extra weight, two loaded tires only adds about 200lbs and slightly lowers the center of gravity so it might not even be worthwhile to drain them.

Best,

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
No, the 1025 did not come with a loader. Not sure a loader would fit with suitcase weights on the front. It has a 60D mower and a canopy. It does nothing but mow grass. The excess weight isn't doing my yard any favors.
ok then no loader and only mowing i guess drain it out--could u haul it back to the dealer and tell them to take it back out?
what i want to know is why they filled them if u wasn't getting a loader with the tractor. u did buy it new-right? a lot of dealers won't ship a tractor if it has a loader with it-so someone got their lines mixed up.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
You really need to dismount the tires after draining to get all the residual fluid.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Probably the best way would be remove the tires and cut the valve stem off, dismount the tires and clean them inside and clean the rim and install new valve stems remount and install the tires. Not going to be easy, maybe have to deliver the tires to the dealer if you can't remove the tires from the rim.

·
Registered
2020 1025R
1,012 Posts
You really need to dismount the tires after draining to get all the residual fluid.
It's supposed to be non-corrosive so I'm wondering what the benefit would be to go through the extra hassle to get every last drop out.

Best,

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,287 Posts
It's supposed to be non-corrosive so I'm wondering what the benefit would be to go through the extra hassle to get every last drop out.
It's known to gum up the valve stems and in some cases make the valves separate causing leaks.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the valve stem at the 6 o'clock position, remove the valve core with a valve core tool (available at any auto parts store or Walmart). Gravity will do the rest. When the fluid stops coming out, fill it back up with air.
That was almost my exact plan.

what i want to know is why they filled them if u wasn't getting a loader with the tractor. u did buy it new-right? a lot of dealers won't ship a tractor if it has a loader with it-so someone got their lines mixed up.
We bought the tractor used (100 hours or so) a couple years ago in this exact configuration. As far as I can tell, it's never had a loader on it, just the weights on the front and the ballast in the tires. Maybe the previous owner was mowing hills.

There's a 3-series parked next to it with a loader, so there is zero chance the mower will ever get one.

·
Premium Member
20,151 Posts
One question before you drain out the fluid. Do you have flat lawn or hilly or sloped lawn, if so I might keep the fluid in the tires. . 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Rim guard isn't cheap , and just to drain it out and then say OH Crap, wish I hadn't drained that out , if nothing else ,try to catch the fluid that way if you would need you could put it back in the tires. if not sell the Rim guard.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
9,359 Posts

Best,
I would agree with that. Drain what you can and let the rest stay in. If I was really concerned about it, I'd drain it and then put some water in the tire and let it slosh around while you are cutting the grass and drain again but I don't think that's necessary either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rim guard isn't cheap , and just to drain it out and then say OH Crap, wish I hadn't drained that out , if nothing else ,try to catch the fluid that way if you would need you could put it back in the tires. if not sell the Rim guard.
According to Rim Guard, the 26x12-12 on the rear of the tractor holds 8 gallons, which equates to 89 pounds of ballast. Using their pricing estimate of $0.28 per pound, that's $24.92 per tire. Let's call it $50 in material.

There's no way I'm going to go through the brain damage of capturing, filtering, storing, and selling that crap for a return of maybe $20. That's insane.

·
Registered
2015 5045e
247 Posts
Okay I've got a question, sorry for the hijack... My tires were filled with anti-freeze and water. I'm under the impression that's what people were doing before (or instead of) rimguard.

Weightwise, is rimguard heavier? I'm not sure I need more weight but would love to hear thoughts on this vs rimguard. I'd imagine it's not as eco-friendly.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Leave it in. These machines are too unstable without wheel weights. Its not going to make a noticeable difference in ground compaction unless your working in wet ground and mowing while wet is worth doing anyway

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Okay I've got a question, sorry for the hijack... My tires were filled with anti-freeze and water. I'm under the impression that's what people were doing before (or instead of) rimguard.

Weightwise, is rimguard heavier? I'm not sure I need more weight but would love to hear thoughts on this vs rimguard. I'd imagine it's not as eco-friendly.
Rimguard is over 11 lbs. water/antifreeze can vary from 7.8-8.4 lbs per gallon.

·
Premium Member
2020 2038R w220R MSL
235 Posts
With the valve stem at the 6 o'clock position, remove the valve core with a valve core tool (available at any auto parts store or Walmart). Gravity will do the rest. When the fluid stops coming out, fill it back up with air. Rimguard is non-toxic so you don't need to be concerned with it running into the ground.

As for the extra weight, two loaded tires only adds about 200lbs and slightly lowers the center of gravity so it might not even be worthwhile to drain them.

Best,
This would be step 2. Step 1 would be to position the valve stem at 12 o'clock to reduce to the pressure to zero. This is going to be a very messy process pretty much no matter how you do it. Might be worth going to the Rimguard dealer and have them pump it out.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I’ll disagree with others in here on the extra weight not hurting the lawn. Mine has destroyed my yard with filled r4s. I’m not looking to remove the fluid though, I’m looking to replace the mower. If you have a drill pump that would probably be the quickest to empty the tires, otherwise I would just cut the stems and replace them afterwards. No reason to clean out the tire.

·
Registered
3046R, 320R loader, 375A BH, 72D MMM, 4406H BB, County Line Landscape Rake, Fimco 40gal 3pt sprayer
133 Posts

Rimguard is about 50% heavier per gallon and totally non-toxic/biodegradable. Depending on which type it is, antifreeze/water mix can be unhealthy and even deadly if it leaks out where pets or livestock can access it. About the only drawback is the viscosity that makes it heavier also tends to gum up valve stems.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
No need to cut valve stem, as indicated in post #18. Use this to remove valve:

$2 at auto parts store! Get tractor in a convenient area to dump liquid...AND refill with air! Get stem at 12 o'clock and slowly remove valve with tool. Move tractor so valve is at 6 o'clock and wait for liquid to drain. Reinstall valve, add air and done. Bob

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.