Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not having much luck with Craigslist as of lately. Is there a better way to sell a vehicle without too much hassle or spending a bunch of cash?

Registered
I'm not having much luck with Craigslist as of lately. Is there a better way to sell a vehicle without too much hassle or spending a bunch of cash?

How about a rundown on the truck. Maybe someone here will be interested or know someone that is.

Super Moderator
Jason,

Is there any chance that the Dodge Ram Truck and / or Diesel Forums might have a for sale section? Seems like there may be more interest from folks who are Dodge - Cummins enthusiasts. Just a thought.

Registered
Around here unless you are selling a 4WD pickup for $1500 you are out of luck. The only way to get rid of an old truck is to negotiate hard for a trade in.

I'm not sure if it is still this way - but when the manufacturers are offering 0% 6 month loans it is hard to sell a used truck - just like what happens with our tractors.

I did sell my used truck locally once - my 10 year old 1997 F-150. Was in pristine shape and only had 71k miles on it. Guy from town came with his kid. I had all the receipts and offered him to take it to any local mechanic that he wanted to to have it checked out if he wanted.

The guy and kid took it for a test drive - the kid did not drive as he never drove a standard before......

He bought the truck. 3 week later I get an email from the guy that the truck needed a clutch and how I ripped his son off. On and on and on. Well the kid obviously burned the clutch out learning how to drive.

Never again.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #6

Hey, I want a title too!

Premium Member
Maybe a revamped ad? ~ Check Out This Texas Man鈥檚 Macho Craigslist Ad For His Jeep Wrangler

All kidding aside, from my few trips back through TN I'd have thought you'd have no problem selling your truck.
That makes two of us. :unknown: Its a well written ad for a pretty popular truck and like everything else Jason has no corners were cut on the mods and the maintenance has been exceptional. It has wear for the age but having seen it in person it's definitely a solid truck. :pickup:

Registered
I always had the best luck with just putting a sign w/phone# in the window and a small newspaper ad. If you have any local "Shopper" papers with free ads distributed at convenience stores and others, they worked well too but are becoming scarce around here. I've never had any luck around here with Craigslist, either buying or selling.

Old Pa-pa
Think you're caught in the old truck, but in great shape dilemma.

22 Years old, nearly 200K miles on it asking 11 grand.

I can't see asking for less, but people not knowing the truck, history or owner would be apprehensive.

Registered
With my very limited experience - this is my take being brutally honest. I pay attention to a couple vehicle forums for many years now and this is what I have absorbed.

First issue - one can't expect to get any money back from mods. The only exception here is someone who is a fanatic about what you have and what you have done and want exactly what you have. I've seen the same scenereo many times on Ford forums where the people can't figure out why their truck with lots of mods won't sell - even if the mods are tastefully done and worth their money.

Now with that said - have you run your truck through KBB? 90% of people looking for a vehicle will do that - then look at what you are asking. I ran your truck through without knowing a lot - gave it just about every option I could and gave it a status of "excellent". Sorry to say it gave me roughly half of what you are asking.

I don't mean any harm or discord here - just some facts of human nature.

At the end of the day something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Premium Member
Stan, KBB does not accurately reflect the prices for trucks like Jason has or my old red one. Blue Book on mine was about $6k, I sold it for substantially more than that and the buyer felt like he got a screaming deal, which he did. My neighbor is about to sell his 1996 F-250 and has a buyer lined up for a price almost double what kbb lists it for. I don't know why they've missed the boat so much, but they have.

Mine sold quickly for a few reasons. First, I stripped it down. Every modification I could remove, I did. I even put in my ad "all stock, never chipped, boosted or otherwise turned up". A lot more folks will be interested that way, because they feel like turned up trucks have been abused or driven hard or may just have more demanding maintenance items.

I think Craigslist is the wrong market for a truck like this. An enthusiast forum would be better, because people will understand exactly what it is.

Registered
With my very limited experience - this is my take being brutally honest. I pay attention to a couple vehicle forums for many years now and this is what I have absorbed.

First issue - one can't expect to get any money back from mods. The only exception here is someone who is a fanatic about what you have and what you have done and want exactly what you have. I've seen the same scenereo many times on Ford forums where the people can't figure out why their truck with lots of mods won't sell - even if the mods are tastefully done and worth their money.

Now with that said - have you run your truck through KBB? 90% of people looking for a vehicle will do that - then look at what you are asking. I ran your truck through without knowing a lot - gave it just about every option I could and gave it a status of "excellent". Sorry to say it gave me roughly half of what you are asking.

I don't mean any harm or discord here - just some facts of human nature.

Been there, done that both selling and buying. Everything has it's price that will sell. Usually if it is not selling, it is the price. Sorry to say that most people buy on price not quality. Also, what a vehicle is worth to you is usually completely different from what it is worth to a buyer. The dreaded fact is that if you priced according to KBB, it would probably sell because most everyone will check KBB to see how it compares. That is not what you want to hear, but it is fact. The high mileage is also a consideration, but we all know that high mileage on a diesel is common. But typically a Dodge does not hold up as well otherwise compared to it's competition, so that is likely a consideration to a buyer.

Now for some hard facts. Your truck is 22 years old and age is becoming a factor as many parts do not age well. 2 years ago, I bought a 4 year old F250 for with a lot less miles for less money than you are asking for your 22 year old truck, although it was not a diesel and is now 2 years older than when I bought mine. Were I looking at both vehicles today, the F250 would win out every time. Your truck is going to require a very special buyer. There is someone out there who would be interested in your truck, but do you want to wait for 2-3 years for that person to show up? Meantime, the truck is getting older, but probably will not depreciate much in that time frame. There is your dilemma.

I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, just sharing my perspective from a potential buyer standpoint. I feel for you in this situation.

Dave

PS:: You might want to also try trucktrader.com to get a much larger audience.

Registered
Stan, KBB does not accurately reflect the prices for trucks like Jason has or my old red one. Blue Book on mine was about $6k, I sold it for substantially more than that and the buyer felt like he got a screaming deal, which he did. My neighbor is about to sell his 1996 F-250 and has a buyer lined up for a price almost double what kbb lists it for. I don't know why they've missed the boat so much, but they have.

Mine sold quickly for a few reasons. First, I stripped it down. Every modification I could remove, I did. I even put in my ad "all stock, never chipped, boosted or otherwise turned up". A lot more folks will be interested that way, because they feel like turned up trucks have been abused or driven hard or may just have more demanding maintenance items.

I think Craigslist is the wrong market for a truck like this. An enthusiast forum would be better, because people will understand exactly what it is.
That's good to know.

But.....I still belive that a lot of people will compare to KBB.

I agree in that an enthusiast forum would be the best bet.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, you're not hurting my feelings in the slightest. :hi: You're not telling me something I haven't checked out, researched, or have already been told. I appreciate your honesty and open answers.

I couldn't care less what KBB lists this truck as. It's not very reflective on a truck of this capacity and capabilities. The Cummins and fresh transmission have a huge amount of life left in them. The body isn't rusted through and is in great shape. It does need a paint job. But it's not for everyone. This isn't your typical 22yo rust bucket that's just plain old beat up and wore out.

After checking CL, there seems to be a glut of trucks (in the same price range and age) that I'm competing with.

I'm not giving this truck away either. I have patience. I was just figuring I'd have a bit more traffic than I am.

Official "Groovie" Dude

They use market data. So if trucks were selling for double their value I think it would be reflected in the value.

Registered
1995 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Laramie | eBay

This one sold for $7900., less mods, lower miles looks to be in better shape.

I do not look at what people are asking, it means nothing. Look at what they sell for.

my 1st thought was 11k for a 22 yr old truck with almost 200K miles.

another one that sold for $10900.

1995 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Laramie | eBay

more miles, alot of mods, looks to be in better shape and has a manual trans which to me would be more desirable.

Registered
Here's how I see it: Any item's value is exactly what another person is willing to pay for it. Period. Do all the research you want, look up all the values you want, justify it six ways from Sunday that your asking price is fair. The maximum amount of cash that someone is willing to part with to own it is the top of its value.

As you come down the scale from max value, your audience size increases for potential buyers. You have to decide where you're willing to be in terms of balancing maximizing purchase price while minimizing time on the market and amount of effort put into selling it.

I also agree that mods have limited to no value. When buying used items that have been modified, I tend to shy away because I feel that the mods were done to potentially overwork the item and could mean excessive wear.

Now, with those things said, some thoughts and ideas I have for potentially selling it:

- Try CARS.COM as a listing site. I have both purchased and sold vehicles through there with reasonable success on both side. There was a point where you could buy a "guaranteed ad" and they would keep running it for 30 days at a clip until it sold. No idea if they still do this or not.
- Do a LOT of research on the competition and try to understand just how far off from those other trucks you are in terms of asking price. Possibly adjust your asking price as a result.
- Go a few different truck-specific forums.
- Check with local shops that sell the add-ons you have for others that might be in the market. Maybe advertise it on their bulletin board, offer them $50 if it sells through their advertising or similar.
- Check with local used vehicle lots to see if they have any avenues to help move the truck.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts