Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime the wife gets done brush hogging, the rear chain protector gets torn up. I'll grant you she needs to be more careful, and I've told her that, but the thing is made out of some pretty flimsy material. I thought I'd read about some other kind of guards for it, but can't find anything. Anyone have any links to those? Or other solutions?

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does the chain guard really need to be positioned so far away from the housing? ... If the blades clear, why not attach the guard directly to the housing ?
It wouldn't snag so easily

G

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the chain guard really need to be positioned so far away from the housing? ... If the blades clear, why not attach the guard directly to the housing ?
It wouldn't snag so easily

G
Yes. When it is bent in much, the blades will contact the chains. Probably on in reverse, but she's already shortened several of the chains because of it.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I just have the plate style, no chains. Haven't had any issues with it. For the price, you might consider trying it.

SmartSelect_20190904-185934_Samsung Internet.jpg
SmartSelect_20190904-185952_Samsung Internet.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm glad you asked this question. I've torn mine up pretty good in the woods. I use it pretty heavy. Glad to know there is a better option out there other than the chains.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Flat belt

I would replace it with a suitable width flat belt like is on round hay balers. It's tough enough to stop debris but will flex for hard objects. In my case, it's also free as we have some of it sitting around from when we changed baler belts.

Being constructed of layers of fabric and rubber, it's a bit of a pain to put bolt holes in it but a Forstner bit will do it as would a hydraulic punch. That's what's on the front of my Bush Hog and one corner needs replacement so I'll get around to it someday.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
146 Posts
Everytime the wife gets done brush hogging, the rear chain protector gets torn up. I'll grant you she needs to be more careful, and I've told her that, but the thing is made out of some pretty flimsy material. I thought I'd read about some other kind of guards for it, but can't find anything. Anyone have any links to those? Or other solutions?
What is it exactly that she is hitting to do that damage?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
What is it exactly that she is hitting to do that damage?
I wondered the same thing. She either caught the guard on a small stump or similar to rip it off the back of the deck like that. It would be hard to drag it on the ground and create that much damage as the rear of the mower would drag first.

I took some video today of my rear RC2048 Frontier mower by mounting the camera right on the center lift where the 3 point center hook on the I Match attaches. A lot of debris comes out the back and I have the same chain guard set up. Granted, I was mowing thick stuff which was 7 feet tall in many places.

The camera angle doesn't show the actual chains, but I haven't damaged any of the actual chains nor caught them in the mower. I have knocked the chain plate in towards the deck in a few places, but its easy to straighten back out with anything which can pry between the deck and guard.

The tail wheel position doesn't seem unusual.......

Either she is somehow dragging (the mower's tail to be clear.:laugh:..) or catching it on something. Looks like she has damaged both sides, with the left torn out completely and the right bent and damaged nearly to the point of being pulled off the deck.

I have bent the plate which the chains mount to which is easy to straighten back out. But so far, I haven't damaged the rear guard nearly as much as she has achieved...I have mowed with my mower probably a total of 20 to 25 tractor hours

Looks like the left rear bolt broke away part of the mower deck housing? Or is it just the photo angle which makes it appear that way.?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just went out and took some measurements on the RC2048. It's sitting on a slab.

With the front of the RC sitting flat on the slab the rear is 2" higher being held up by the tail wheel'

The rear guard is 4" above the slab measured to the metal at the corner . I usually cut with the front raised about 3" . I'm on rough land , steep hills and it amazes me how much the 2025R with RC2028 can accomplish . I'm glad I saw this thread because I had no idea that the rear guard was vulnerable. I'll be paying closer attention from now on

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Waiting to get bent

After reading the thread again, I took another look at the original image. Frankly, I think that's a bad design. The chain guard is sitting out on some smallish diameter bolts/posts and the ends are made to catch debris or get hooked around saplings on a turn. My guess is your wife was turning right when the side of the guard was torn off.

I see you ordered the solid guard. That's positioned tight on the mower decl. It can still get bent by running over a stump or backing into something but should be more durable. I suspect that it will clump up if you mow heavy grass closed to the ground.

I'm surprised they don't have a guard that is mounted close to the rear of the mower, extends down about an inch and has 1 link of chain below. Maybe the rear deck is so close to the blade travel that's won't work but it's a more normal practice for rough cut mowers. Or maybe I'm just too used to equipment made for the farm as opposed to more suburban demands. Either way, I'd have put the flat belt on it, perhaps with some vertical cuts like a comb with wide teeth.

Treefarmer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts