Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5 acres of fairly level lawn(3 acres of old pasture/2 acres graded seeded grass). Do you think an X320 with a 54" mmm would be big enough to mow this? I used an old craftsman 42" last year, but, it really took a betting as well as a lot of my time, and quite a few belts. Any recommendations, I do not have a lot of $. The x320 @ around $4000, is about it. However, I don't want to waste my money on something to small. Help:)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I hate to steer anyone away from green, but Toro puts out some real nice zero turn mowers with "commercial" decks 50" over and well under your $4k budget. I cut 1-1/2 acres in less than an hour with mine, and that is including going around trees, pool, play yard, wash poles, etc.

I'm also not one to steer someone away from a dealer, but here is a starting price:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-TimeCutter-SS5000-50-in-23-HP-Kawasaki-V-Twin-Zero-Turn-Riding-Mower-with-Smart-Speed-74631/203651504

I'll bet Muttons can beat it and offer you great dealer support.

I await my flogging

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate to steer anyone away from green, but Toro puts out some real nice zero turn mowers with "commercial" decks 50" over and well under your $4k budget. I cut 1-1/2 acres in less than an hour with mine, and that is including going around trees, pool, play yard, wash poles, etc.

I'm also not one to steer someone away from a dealer, but here is a starting price:Toro TimeCutter SS5000 50 in. 23-HP Kawasaki V-Twin Zero-Turn Riding Mower with Smart Speed-74631 - The Home Depot

I await my flogging
These Toro zero turns look pretty nice. Have you had any trouble with yours? I see they have a hitch available, have you used this to tow a trailer?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts

I'm also not one to steer someone away from a dealer, but here is a starting price:Toro TimeCutter SS5000 50 in. 23-HP Kawasaki V-Twin Zero-Turn Riding Mower with Smart Speed-74631 - The Home Depot

I await my flogging
I don't think you will get flogged too bad, but rtgt is gonna pounce on you. :lol:

·
584 Posts
It will make tall grass short, but take a look at the x500. You would be getting into a garden tractor. Heavier frame will help on pasture ground.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will make tall grass short, but take a look at the x500. You would be getting into a garden tractor. Heavier frame will help on pasture ground.
$6000+ That's a whole differnt neighborhood, but, it would be nice. However, that's how I get in trouble. The x500 becomes the 700 and then I'm looking at a 1025 w/ FEL&MMM

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,411 Posts
I have 5 acres of fairly level lawn(3 acres of old pasture/2 acres graded seeded grass). Do you think an X320 with a 54" mmm would be big enough to mow this? I used an old craftsman 42" last year, but, it really took a betting as well as a lot of my time, and quite a few belts. Any recommendations, I do not have a lot of $. The x320 @ around $4000, is about it. However, I don't want to waste my money on something to small. Help:)
I'm thinking you will not be close to being satisfied.

·
Registered
338 Posts
With a budget of $4k, I would think a decent used X500 series would be a good choice. If you don't mind something that is a little bigger here is a tractor that is local to you.

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/3675814

If you would like a Z-turn, here is a very heavy duty machine, we use the Diesel versions at work to mow with.

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/3489027

This tractor is at my local dealer, which is not too far away:

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/3861259

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking you will not be close to being satisfied.
You are probably right, and everybody else seems to agree the 300 series is not enough. I am beginning to think I will need to get a used machine. I see some older machines that look good, but, I have no idea, what a lot of hours is on a given machine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
With a budget of $4k, I would think a decent used X500 series would be a good choice. If you don't mind something that is a little bigger here is a tractor that is local to you.

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/3675814

If you would like a Z-turn, here is a very heavy duty machine, we use the Diesel versions at work to mow with.

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/3489027

This tractor is at my local dealer, which is not too far away:

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/3861259

The price on that 425 is high. You should be able to find a good used 4x5 series for around $3K.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
These Toro zero turns look pretty nice. Have you had any trouble with yours? I see they have a hitch available, have you used this to tow a trailer?
I've owned two timecutters. The first ended with a seized motor due to neglect (our fault). My current one is a great machine. So far, the only problem I've had in three cutting seasons was a deck pulley broke it's weld to the hub. That was a quick fix with the little 120v mig welder and 20 minutes total time to remove and replace the deck. Other than regular maintenance like oil changes and blade sharpening, there have been no issues. My wife loves her little red zero turn. I made a little hitch for it myself and hook up a dump cart to it all the time. I've loaded that cart with firewood, rocks, you name it (of course this was prior to owning the 1025R) and it handles it without a problem.

To be sure that I am honest here, between the time we bought the current Toro and the one we blew up, I did own a Husqvarna zero turn. It was terrible, to say the least. It could not keep traction on any side slope, and I mean ANY, it ate gas like a cow eating big macs, and eventually the head gasket blew before I had 10 hours on the clock. Needless to say I traded that orange one in on a new Toro as fast as I could. We are very happy with the little red mower.

·
Administrator
20,675 Posts
5 acres? I'd get a 60" mower at a minimum. That is unless you like to spend time mowing.

·
584 Posts
It's not about how many acres it's about terrain when it comes to these two models. If you're worried about speed, the x700 isn't gonna save you a lot of time in my opinion. You'll gain a little with the 60" but not much in ground speed. Yes the x700 has higher ground speed, but when you're mowing, you realize you don't use the extra ground speed. You see the benefit of a x700 when rough terrian, hilly terrian come into effect.I have the privilege of having 10 acres. I've tested everything from d100 -x738. If you have a relatively flat area I would go with a zturn hands down. Z915b is a great cut. If a zturns not for you you and again relatively flat, I'd go with a x500 series. Rough hilly terrian you could get yourself a x700 series or its predecessor, the x400 - x500 used for around 4-5k. Here's a pic of my lawn after a Z915b cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$6,000? I sell them all day for $5,099! I understand what you're saying.
Do you really think I could get a x500 with a54" deck for $5099? That would be worth saving up some extra money for. Is a liquid cooled engine a whole lot better? Is it worth the extra $ ? If so how much do you think I could get one for? The msrp's scare me a little, but, I do want a machine that will last a good while.

·
584 Posts
Yes. I sell them for that. I can pm you a quote if you'd like. I don't know where you're from but we deliver as well. No on the liquid cooled. We had some many problems with the liquid cooled engine on the x540, I stopped stocking them 2 years ago. And now for 2015 deere is even getting rid of the engine. Going to the X590 air cooled engine. If you're interested, provide your zip and I'll see what delivery would be

1 - 20 of 31 Posts