Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some rock excavated from my property that has left some rather larger pits. Roughly 12 'long, 3' deep, 6' wide. I don't have enough dirt to fill it all in but I do have some two year old downed trees. Has anyone ever used downed trees as hole/pit filler then cover that with dirt? Would the hole cavitate after rotting?

Thanks for the input,
Mark
IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0529.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
As that wood rots it's going to end up being much smaller and your hole is just going to sink. Developers used to do this where they'd clear lots and just bury the stumps when they leveled things off. 10-15 years later, the homeowners found themselves with pits all over their yards.

To do it right and not have to come back to it again, you need solid fill that isn't going to decompose.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As stated above-the trees will rot down and settle significantly leaving you with a depression after time. If that’s not an issue, then feel free-if you want them to stay level then either don’t bury the trees or as they settle keep refilling and leveling as they sink.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agreed, I'm dealing with that now. We had a slope that they dug into pushed everything in and covered it up. Very unsightly. You could fill it with any compactible fill, asphalt millings come to mind as inexpensive, only the top needs to be good top soil. Even at that I believe you'll have some settling over time, that's one big hole. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts