Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried putting slightly bigger tires on a 1 series? After doing a bunch of loader work, I feel like the low range is a little too low, and the high range isn't high enough. I'm thinking going up a few inches in tire size would fix that. There is room under the fender for 29" tire (so 20" up front, or thereabouts). There's no reason to think the transmission couldn't handle it.

I tried looking online but found nothing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you could find both front and rear tires that maintained the same ratio of size from front to rear, then sure, that could work. Replacing just the rears, or a mismatched set will mean that you won't be able to use four wheel drive. It is critical for fwd that you maintain the correct ratio or else you'll put huge stresses on the gearbox when in 4x4.

In changing the size of the tires you will also end up raising the rear more than the front if you keep the ratio the same, which is necessary. You may raise the rear 4" but the front only 2". You can't raise the front and rear the same amount while maintaining the correct tire size ratio. You also may find clearance problems between the rear tire and the backhoe support frame, (if you have the backhoe of course) and there would be an issue with the front tires rubbing when turning sharply. Plus there is the reduced stability due to raising the the CG, and reduced stability due to having increased flexible sidewall height.

Probably a bad idea, but if you understand how what you are doing affects everything, you could make it work, but I wouldn't bother.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about the ratio, which is why I mentioned 20" front tires, which are the size I see used in conjunction with 29" rears. No guarantee that will work with the 1025r, which is why I asked if anyone has done it.

I don't think I would bother either, it's fine the way it is, but I do find it surprising that no one has done this (or so it appears).

Reactions: TJR345 and OxPath

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Remembering when I was researching SCUT's this was one of the complaints of some owners back then... Until today it all seemed to be resolved as folks worked around the gearing one way or another. I also doubt that JD will solve this one on future 1 size series issues as they probably will push this engine/chassis/transmission combo a lot further down the SCUT road. This machine was pitched to "larger property owner/maintainers" who were probably not going to do an s-load of loader work. For my half acre "I got plenty of gear?":laugh:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Has anyone ever tried putting slightly bigger tires on a 1 series? After doing a bunch of loader work, I feel like the low range is a little too low, and the high range isn't high enough. I'm thinking going up a few inches in tire size would fix that. There is room under the fender for 29" tire (so 20" up front, or thereabouts). There's no reason to think the transmission couldn't handle it.

I tried looking online but found nothing. Any thoughts?
Isn't this basically what JD did to create the 2320? It's like a stretched version of a 1 series with a slightly longer wheel base with stronger hydraulics and bigger tires. Maybe the tires on that tractor will fit although tractordata.com lists the rears as 31's so maybe not. If you read some of the threads on the 2320 some folks are not happy with the power output on that tractor either, but I think it's the hydraulic pump/valving they have been having issues with not tire size.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I don't think its feasible to put larger tires on a 1 series. There just isn't enough clearance . Tire chains hardly clear the fenders / fuel tank. Deere made the 1 series as compact as they could, so they went with smallish tires. The 2320 / 2025 is basically a 1 series with a larger frame and tires.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have turf tires all around on my 2305. Maybe it's just me, but in all the pics I look at the "R" tires seem noticeably larger?

·
Registered
517 Posts
To the op.. I hope someone figures out a way to do it too.. My reason is more about driving comfort than anything else. In addition to 2 acres of yard to mow, I also maintain a section of ATV trails near me that's about a 4km round trip. The puny ass front tires on the 1 series (and all other tractors in this class from all OEM's) can barely roll over a walnut without hopping off the ground. Just a bit larger diameter up front would make a huge difference. The math and engineering required to figure out what will work and what won't (if anything) is beyond me so I'm no help haha!. But if someone did figure out a size upgrade that would work. I'd give it a shot. The 1 series is so great and really is a do it all power house. Just wish it had bigger feet!

Reactions: Radsbee and mike01

·
Administrator
20,845 Posts
I put bigger tires on my 1026R by trading up to a 2720. All the comments about how bigger tires ride are absolutely correct. I don't see how you can put larger tires on a one series without some serious consequences in performance, clearance, abilities, and driveline life. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I think the real numbers need to be looked at here. The difference between 26" and 29" tires is less that 1' in circumference. In a 100' run, the 26" tire will rotate 14.7 times, the 29" tire will rotate 13.3 times.

So, if the 26" tire rotates 14.7 times, this will be enough to carry you 100', if 29" tire rotates 14.7 times, this will carry the tractor 110'. This difference isn't going to be enough to even notice from the seat and surely isn't worth the money, time and effort to make this change.

IMHO, if low range isn't fast enough, use high range and back off the forward propel pedal some.

Another thought, when doing FEL work with the bucket full, low range is fast enough unless you are on really smooth surface and on the level. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,129 Posts
I put bigger tires on my 1026R by trading up to a 2720. All the comments about how bigger tires ride are absolutely correct. I don't see how you can put larger tires on a one series without some serious consequences in performance, clearance, abilities, and driveline life. :unknown:
I'm thinking it and you're writing it. Great minds think alike. :good2:

·
Registered
517 Posts
I put bigger tires on my 1026R by trading up to a 2720.

I like the way you think diesel!.. And I think you're right. The only way to go up any decent size in tires is to go up in machine size. I'd be Lyin' if I said I didn't have my eye on the new 2 series machines.. Dang nice they are..

·
Registered
23,020 Posts
Same here - quickly upgraded from the 2210 to my 2520. That was my main goal was stability and clearance in the woods.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I went back to your first post and looked, sure enough you have a MMM, 54". With the MMM on look at the rear tire while it's down and then again with it in the up position. You don't have the room for larger tires using a MMM. Haven't really looked at the front tires with the MMM but I suspect it's probably the same thing there.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I put bigger tires on my 1026R by trading up to a 2720.

I like the way you think diesel!.. And I think you're right. The only way to go up any decent size in tires is to go up in machine size. I'd be Lyin' if I said I didn't have my eye on the new 2 series machines.. Dang nice they are..
Tire size is the main reason I went with a used 2320 over a new 1025r

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I went back to your first post and looked, sure enough you have a MMM, 54". With the MMM on look at the rear tire while it's down and then again with it in the up position. You don't have the room for larger tires using a MMM. Haven't really looked at the front tires with the MMM but I suspect it's probably the same thing there.
Same thing I was thinking,clearance on the deck.The other thing to remember is the 1 series and the x series use the same wheel,different tire but same wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the seat plays a bigger role in ride comfort. I spent some time on a 2025r at the dealership and it was about as comfortable as having your back end pounded with a jackhammer and the only thing between you and it is a lawnmower seat on rubber "springs" that seemed to only aggravate the situation. On flat ground it was fine, though under-powered, but the moment I hit rough ground on it, I was like, "Oh heeellll no." My property is basically all rough ground.

·
Registered
23,020 Posts
I think the seat plays a bigger role in ride comfort. I spent some time on a 2025r at the dealership and it was about as comfortable as having your back end pounded with a jackhammer and the only thing between you and it is a lawnmower seat on rubber "springs" that seemed to only aggravate the situation. On flat ground it was fine, though under-powered, but the moment I hit rough ground on it, I was like, "Oh heeellll no." My property is basically all rough ground.
That's about right - 2 very small stiff rubber bumbers under the back of the seat and that's it.

I had to make some changes. I installed a Michigan suspension seat on my 2520. At the same time I reduced my rear tire pressure down to 10 pounds. I don't know which had more effect, but the result is so much better.

Deere tractors and mowers are known to come from the dealer with the max amount of air in the tires. Reducing the pressure more toward the minimum has a big positive effect. When I first got my 757 zero turn it about killed me - but after reducing the air pressure it was just fine.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I would flat out not even consider putting bigger tires on a 1 series, there is no clearance for larger tires. They will hit the fender and mower in the back, and hit the frame on the front at full left/right lock. If you need bigger tires, you need a bigger tractor, period.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would flat out not even consider putting bigger tires on a 1 series, there is no clearance for larger tires. They will hit the fender and mower in the back, and hit the frame on the front at full left/right lock. If you need bigger tires, you need a bigger tractor, period.
There is clearance up front for 20" tires and clearance in the back for 29" tires (though the mower deck may not clear, don't know, haven't checked).

And it's not a matter of needing bigger tires. Like I said, I don't want to do this. I mean...I might, just for ****s and giggles. Tinkering is fun. You don't need half the things people do to their tractors, but people do them because this is a hobby and tinkering with your tractor is part of that hobby. Some people may not want or need a bigger tractor but might want to tinker with theirs for fun.

I asked the question because I wanted to know if anyone actually did this so I can look at pics and say, "Wow, that's cool! Great job!" Because looking at other people's tractor mods is also part of the hobby, which is why most of us spend so much time looking at "look what I did to my tractor" posts.

The 1025r does not need bigger tires. But the tractor enthusiast community needs someone who puts bigger tires on it! There is a guy who put 26" tires and some kind of electric 3PH on an x500 and does all kinds of crazy things with it. And it's awesome to see and read about.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts