Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4310 with an attachment fit fine on the 18+2 10k trailer, the 4066R not so much. Ended up with a used PJ 20+5 25k gooseneck much better setup, and now I can haul the 410B TLB to get more use out of it. If I were to do it over I would get a 25+5
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nice!

What did you end up doing with the 18+2 10K?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nice rig!

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Nice, I too am huge PJ fan.
Everything but my enclosed trailer are all PJs.
This is my 20ft bumper pull 7K axles . One pic hauling the 2025R with Attachments the other the 4066R without any, but I have hauled the 4066R with a grapple and blade on the back, it is tight.
I have a new 22ft deck over on order with those same flip over style ramps, same sort of deal needed a bigger trailer for the 5115M or the 4066R with brush cutter.

Reactions: jdmich

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Gooseneck trailers pull so much nicer than tag trailers, especially the larger tag trailers, at the limits of the pull size and weight limit. The truck rides better, I also think its much easier on the truck in the long haul......(pun intended).........

Plus you have gone to the dual wheel axles, which also ride better with the weight you are carrying. Good choice.

Nice looking rigs.....

Reactions: jdmich

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still have the 18+2 works good for smaller stuff yet

Really like the ramps, trailer was everything I wanted except for being 5 feet shorter than I would have liked and so far haven't needed the 5 feet yet......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gooseneck trailers pull so much nicer than tag trailers, especially the larger tag trailers, at the limits of the pull size and weight limit. The truck rides better, I also think its much easier on the truck in the long haul......(pun intended).........

Plus you have gone to the dual wheel axles, which also ride better with the weight you are carrying. Good choice.

Nice looking rigs.....
I agree about the gooseneck trailers pulling better, and was surprised at how well the truck and trailer handled the 410B I think the trailer had a lot to do with it. Was my first time pulling a dual wheel axle trailer.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Once you have a gooseneck tandem dually, you won't want anything else. I was surprised you can get a 25ft dually. Mine is 31ft and I thought it was about as small as you could get in a dually. I have run into situations where the 31ft was still not big enough, but it is not going anywhere.

Now here is your problem that you probably do not even know you have. Those duallies are heavy putting you up into a heavier category. Plus the GCWR is possibly over 26,000# and may require upgrading your drivers license. I don't know how the tow vehicle combination is licensed in your area, but you may need to check that out to make sure you have sufficient license. The DOT guys are looking for GCWR ratings and will nail you in a heartbeat. My GCWR is 29,800#, which puts me up there in a category where I have to have an upgraded class A regular drivers license (not CDL) plus I have to upgrade the standard 12M license on the pickup to 30M in order to be legal. Trailer weights are covered by the tow vehicle license in my state.

With a gooseneck tandem dually, you look like a hot shot service vehicle and they are looking for those as many are operating illegally. I even stick a magnetic sign on the side that says "not for hire" to try to head them off.

Dave

Reactions: X758er and Big

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
One other thing I forgot to mention. Duallies have a wider tread and more weight closer to the ground, making for a lower center of gravity. I feel much more comfortable with a dually and with that bed being 36 inches high, that lower center of gravity is really important. My farmer neighbor friend has a 25ft gooseneck, but it is single wheel. The tread width is much narrower than mine and I don't think I would like that. But it does pull easier due to the lower weight and less tire friction. Take care of those tires. Do you know what a set of 8 tires costs???

Dave

·
Registered
1949 Ford 8N, 1959 Ford 841 Diesel, working on a 2 series order
46 Posts
Reactions: mark02tj

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Nice looking rig all the way around.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once you have a gooseneck tandem dually, you won't want anything else. I was surprised you can get a 25ft dually. Mine is 31ft and I thought it was about as small as you could get in a dually. I have run into situations where the 31ft was still not big enough, but it is not going anywhere.

Now here is your problem that you probably do not even know you have. Those duallies are heavy putting you up into a heavier category. Plus the GCWR is possibly over 26,000# and may require upgrading your drivers license. I don't know how the tow vehicle combination is licensed in your area, but you may need to check that out to make sure you have sufficient license. The DOT guys are looking for GCWR ratings and will nail you in a heartbeat. My GCWR is 29,800#, which puts me up there in a category where I have to have an upgraded class A regular drivers license (not CDL) plus I have to upgrade the standard 12M license on the pickup to 30M in order to be legal. Trailer weights are covered by the tow vehicle license in my state.

With a gooseneck tandem dually, you look like a hot shot service vehicle and they are looking for those as many are operating illegally. I even stick a magnetic sign on the side that says "not for hire" to try to head them off.

Dave
I have had a CDL since I was 18 but seldom use it anymore and haven't renewed my fed-med in a long time. Truck is licensed at 12k, trailer at 20k and truck GCWR is 29,700. My estimate for the 410B is 15k, trailer 6k, truck 8.5k putting me at 29,500. 200lbs isn't a lot of wiggle room if everything is right and I didn't miss something, when I bring it home I plan on weighing it to see where I'm at. Hopefully now I won't be that guy.......All the tires are one reason I stayed away from dually trailers.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Nice. Goosenecks are just so much nicer to pull, love mine.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have had a CDL since I was 18 but seldom use it anymore and haven't renewed my fed-med in a long time. Truck is licensed at 12k, trailer at 20k and truck GCWR is 29,700. My estimate for the 410B is 15k, trailer 6k, truck 8.5k putting me at 29,500. 200lbs isn't a lot of wiggle room if everything is right and I didn't miss something, when I bring it home I plan on weighing it to see where I'm at. Hopefully now I won't be that guy.......All the tires are one reason I stayed away from dually trailers.
I suspect for your CDL to be valid, your medical certificate will have to be up to date. I suspected you would be over 26,000# and you need to make sure you are covered. It can be an expensive mistake. I had a chauffeurs license for many, many years until they moved to the CDL with medical provisions. Since I had not used it in years, I let it drop. As long as I don't haul "for hire", I do not need a CDL.

My pickup and trailer weigh around 14,000# and I actually hit my max GCWR last fall on a Cat scale. Those tractors can fool you as to how much they weigh. Below is a pic of my 30M load. That JD 720LP had to weigh over 10,000#. He said he had wheel weights on both the inside and outside of the rear wheels. I had it pegged at around 7000#.

Dave

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts
I suspect for your CDL to be valid, your medical certificate will have to be up to date.
I don't think medical is needed for non-commercial use (like the heavy RV'ers).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice, I too am huge PJ fan.
Everything but my enclosed trailer are all PJs.
This is my 20ft bumper pull 7K axles . One pic hauling the 2025R with Attachments the other the 4066R without any, but I have hauled the 4066R with a grapple and blade on the back, it is tight.
I have a new 22ft deck over on order with those same flip over style ramps, same sort of deal needed a bigger trailer for the 5115M or the 4066R with brush cutter.
View attachment 779374
View attachment 779375
Not trying to start a debate but are you sure those are 7k axles? Most I've seen are 8 lug, yours appear to be 5? Just seems light for a 7k axle? I could be wrong just curious.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Not trying to start a debate but are you sure those are 7k axles? Most I've seen are 8 lug, yours appear to be 5? Just seems light for a 7k axle? I could be wrong just curious.
I agree. I think there is some confusion. I believe that to be a 7K rated trailer including two 3.5K axles which would have 5 lug wheels. 7K axles would have 8 lug wheels. My farmer neighbor friend has a 25ft gooseneck trailer with two 7K axles for a 14K rating. They are 8 lug wheels.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
There 6 lug with 10 ply load range E tires.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
6 lug would be more like a 5.2k or 6k. At least that's what mine are. My 7.5k Dexter axles on my gooseneck are 8 lug.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts