Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the utility of the BigToolRack 3 pt attachment versus a ballast box with inset PVC pipes that can carry certain tools. This is for my 1025R.

I currently have a ballast box full of gravel that I was going to put PVC into. I would ideally carry a rake, a shovel, and a chainsaw and lengths of chain around if it made sense.

Any users of BigToolRack that also have a ballast box?

Does BigToolRack provide enough ballast without anything in it for safe loader operations?

Those of you using BigToolRack, what are the pros and cons of this attachment? Things it does well, things it lacks?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Does BigToolRack provide enough ballast without anything in it for safe loader operations?
I doubt very much that you'll get the BTR up to 600+ lbs. which is what is required for safe loader operation.

Those of you using BigToolRack, what are the pros and cons of this attachment? Things it does well, things it lacks?
I don't have a BTR but it would seem that a ballast box is weight first with left over space for some tool storage whereas the BTR is primarily a storage rack only with minimal weight gains.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I agree. The ballast box is needed, despite getting the BTR or not. I have the pvc in my ballast box. Handy, but doesn’t make up for having a tool box. The pvc is handy for taking a few things along with you, but for tree or yard work, I think the BTR would be pretty cool. I guess I’m trying to say I don’t see them as the same, two different implements for different purposes.

·
RIP Chris
148 Posts
I'm a YUGE fan of the PVC tubes in the ballast box. When not using the ballast box, you can store the 3pt arms in the tubes. When you are using the ballast box, you can store rakes and such in them. But be aware, the rakes inevitably wind up at the height of your face. You need to be careful when walking in the area of the BB.

Note: In this photo, the BB is NOT connected to the tractor, just to be ahead of any confusion. I think it had just been rolled up in preparation for attaching.

20170924_142259.jpg

·
Vendor
157 Posts
I agree. The ballast box is needed, despite getting the BTR or not. I have the pvc in my ballast box. Handy, but doesn’t make up for having a tool box. The pvc is handy for taking a few things along with you, but for tree or yard work, I think the BTR would be pretty cool. I guess I’m trying to say I don’t see them as the same, two different implements for different purposes.
Hey guys just saw this and wanted to set the record straight. The Bigtoolrack weighs in at about 300LBS by itself the suitcase weight bracket will hold 6 of the 42-Lb John Deere Suitcase weights which would put the total weight at 552LBS then you can put up to 600LBS in the rack itself so in essence you could have up to 1152 pound of counter weight. I hope this helps. Bigtoolrack gives you the counterweight you need, securely carries your tools, and gives you the ability to tow a trailer once attached, and a large cargo area to carry anything else you may need to work on your property, basically all of the things I wanted to be able to do with my tractor but could not with out this rack. See pic using the suitcase weight bracket on the Bigtoolrack.

Have a great night guys.
I am here if you need me proud to be a member of GTT
BTR Imatch ballast JD weights.jpg 10.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys just saw this and wanted to set the record straight. The Bigtoolrack weighs in at about 300LBS by itself the suitcase weight bracket will hold 6 of the 42-Lb John Deere Suitcase weights which would put the total weight at 552LBS then you can put up to 600LBS in the rack itself so in essence you could have up to 1152 pound of counter weight. I hope this helps. Bigtoolrack gives you the counterweight you need, securely carries your tools, and gives you the ability to tow a trailer once attached, and a large cargo area to carry anything else you may need to work on your property, basically all of the things I wanted to be able to do with my tractor but could not with out this rack. See pic using the suitcase weight bracket on the Bigtoolrack.

Have a great night guys.
I am here if you need me proud to be a member of GTT
View attachment 525266 View attachment 525274
Thanks for clarifying

Cool design! Now where to get those suitcase weights without spending a big chunk of change...

Notice on your website the XPHD is mentioned suitable for subcompacts, and the ultimate BTR seems to be pictured more often with the larger tractors. Does the 1025R get adequate ground clearance with the BTR and the caster wheels?

·
Vendor
157 Posts
Thanks for clarifying

Cool design! Now where to get those suitcase weights without spending a big chunk of change...

Notice on your website the XPHD is mentioned suitable for subcompacts, and the ultimate BTR seems to be pictured more often with the larger tractors. Does the 1025R get adequate ground clearance with the BTR and the caster wheels?
Thank you for your interest. As far as the XPHD and the Original unit they are both suitable for compact and sub compact tractors. Ground clearance on the 1025R with the wheels all the way up is not an issue at all. I sell the original to X700 owners and they are much lower to the ground, look at the gallery and reviews page on my site. Now as for the suitcase weights believe it or not you can get them at home depot online delivered to your door for for 67.25 each still not cheap but they will deliver them right to your door. They use the sell them for 55.00 each delivered. But I am sure they realized that the freight is always and issue and unfortunately an unavoidable cost. I include the freight when I ship my racks it is a 300 pound over-sized item that often needs a lift-gate not cheap to ship lift-gate alone usually adds 75.00 and freight can range from 225 up to and over 400 sometimes all depends on where it is going..... but like I said I include it some times you win sometimes you loose but no one wants to see the big freight bill that is why most companies include it. Sorry for the long winded message I hope this answers your questions.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your interest. As far as the XPHD and the Original unit they are both suitable for compact and sub compact tractors. Ground clearance on the 1025R with the wheels all the way up is not an issue at all. I sell the original to X700 owners and they are much lower to the ground, look at the gallery and reviews page on my site. Now as for the suitcase weights believe it or not you can get them at home depot online delivered to your door for for 67.25 each still not cheap but they will deliver them right to your door. They use the sell them for 55.00 each delivered. But I am sure they realized that the freight is always and issue and unfortunately an unavoidable cost. I include the freight when I ship my racks it is a 300 pound over-sized item that often needs a lift-gate not cheap to ship lift-gate alone usually adds 75.00 and freight can range from 225 up to and over 400 sometimes all depends on where it is going..... but like I said I include it some times you win sometimes you loose but no one wants to see the big freight bill that is why most companies include it. Sorry for the long winded message I hope this answers your questions.
Thanks! What is the tongue weight limit for the 2" receiver on the original BTR?

·
Vendor
157 Posts
Thanks! What is the tongue weight limit for the 2" receiver on the original BTR?
Tongue weight is not to exceed 50LBS. The intent is to use it to tow a small utility trailer or a log splitter, it can tow a lot of weight you just don't want it on the tongue. I have towed trailers with 2500 LBS in them with no issue but the weight needs to rest on the wheels of the trailer see pic from one of my customers. It's a nice feature to have I use it all of the time.
Thanks for your interest. Have a great week.

0aMassey with the Bigtoolrack.jpg 1aaa.jpg

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Tongue weight is not to exceed 50LBS. The intent is to use it to tow a small utility trailer or a log splitter, it can tow a lot of weight you just don't want it on the tongue. I have towed trailers with 2500 LBS in them with no issue but the weight needs to rest on the wheels of the trailer see pic from one of my customers. It's a nice feature to have I use it all of the time.
Thanks for your interest. Have a great week.

View attachment 526282 View attachment 526290
This looks like a great attachment. I was looking into purchasing a gator or something like that, but this should allow my tractor to take care of about anything I would use a UTV for.

I am in the process of shopping for one of these and running into a pretty wide price range, and I am not seeing any real defined model numbers to make sure what I am looking at and comparing is apples to apples.

Ie.
I am looking at one on Ebay for 999.00 Free shipping and comparing it to one on Amazon for 1399, and also looking at one on the BTR website for 1489.00 free shipping.
Anyone have any experience or tips for shopping for one of these racks.

Reactions: Toughsox and Gizmo2

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
The only person that I know that has one is "Tractor Time with Tim". I know there are several models and options for the Big Tool Rack. I think he even has a molded plastic model.

If I were shopping for one, I'd probably start at his site and give him a call - 1-844-287-7225. If you're buying direct, you might be able to save over buying through Amazon or EBay since he'd save on some of the selling fees. But at least talking to him would give you the opportunity to tell him what you're using it for and he could point you in the right direction with regards to model, options, etc.

Be sure to post pics if you buy one!! Those are really nice, but don't really fit for how I use my tractor.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Thanks.
I went ahead and ordered direct from BTR, I used the TTWT discount code, got an extra 75.00 off.

The one for 1000.00 free shipping on Ebay is an older model without any of the extra pieces that make it as functional as it can be.

I figured by the time I bought all the extra's accessory items separately, I would have been up there really close to what I would be paying for the latest greatest ultimate model which already comes with all the extra accessory items standard for around $1400.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thanks.
I went ahead and ordered direct from BTR, I used the TTWT discount code, got an extra 75.00 off.

The one for 1000.00 free shipping on Ebay is an older model without any of the extra pieces that make it as functional as it can be.

I figured by the time I bought all the extra's accessory items separately, I would have been up there really close to what I would be paying for the latest greatest ultimate model which already comes with all the extra accessory items standard for around $1400.
Usage of this thing is only limited by your creativity.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Are you talking about his use of the TTWT discount code??? I was creative and tried using it at DuluthTrading.com, TractorSupply.com, HarborFreight.com and AdvanceAuto.com but it didn't work. Funny though - I used it a PizzaHut.com and got 20% off a large pepperoni pizza!! :laugh: Thanks, Tim! :good2:

:hide::hide::hide:

==============

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to seeing how someone puts it to use. I hope that cc1999 post some pictures of it in use once he gets it.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Are you talking about his use of the TTWT discount code??? I was creative and tried using it at DuluthTrading.com, TractorSupply.com, HarborFreight.com and AdvanceAuto.com but it didn't work. Funny though - I used it a PizzaHut.com and got 20% off a large pepperoni pizza!! :laugh: Thanks, Tim! :good2:

:hide::hide::hide:

==============

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to seeing how someone puts it to use. I hope that cc1999 post some pictures of it in use once he gets it.
Well I have recently purchased an 11 acre property/home with pvt lake (big pond), lots of trees, that I need to maintain along with a whole lot of grass to cut. Which also comes with plenty of weed trimming to do.

So I already know I will be utilizing the Chain saw mount and weed trimmer mount along with I plan to be putting in a couple different shovels in there mounting locations.
I figured tow ropes and chains would also come in handy as well. I am not sure the bed is really large enough to haul much brush, but I have a dump trailer for that, unfortunately the tong weight of the dump trailer, I am afraid is way to much to pull with the BTR hitch. I think the rated tong weight is only 50 pounds, Which I probably would not be to worried to push that limit to 100 pounds but the 500 or so tong weight of my dump trailer might be just too much to even attempt it. LOL

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Thanks Tim, I really love your channel, only problem is I tend to have to have most of those gadgets and attachments you demo on their.
I have a heavy hitch, with stand
a stump grinder
Tried to get the JD quick attach mower brackets but not available yet for my 72D.

I love that bagger system, saving up for that next. LOL

Keep up the great work Tim!!!!!!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thanks Tim, I really love your channel, only problem is I tend to have to have most of those gadgets and attachments you demo on their.
I have a heavy hitch, with stand
a stump grinder
Tried to get the JD quick attach mower brackets but not available yet for my 72D.

I love that bagger system, saving up for that next. LOL

Keep up the great work Tim!!!!!!
Thanks again.
Hmm. That sounds like a challenge! I guess we’ll need to find more ‘gadgets’!!!

Thanks for the kind words.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts