Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using those blinking red lights that bicyclists use on their garden tractors? I want a little attention getter when I'm snowblowing this winter, and I can fab up something easy enough for a small bike light.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't know how bicyclists get away with it, but I read somewhere (in my state) that only emergency vehicles can have a blinking red light. I can't imagine if there are any laws for garden tractors.

Your idea sounds good, but I'd stick with an amber blinker ... just to be on the safe side with the local authorities.

And seeing as garden tractors usually don't have ROPS, and you would want to get that light up as high as possible for visibility, I'd probably just mount a blinker on top of my winter hat when I'm snowblowing :lolol: (I may look weird, but you'd sure know where I was):lolol:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if I could get an battery powered amber light for a decent price that would be nice too.

I live off a pretty bush street, and chances are pretty good that I'll be doing some blowing in the dark.

·
Premium Member
14,738 Posts
Go to a Bike Shop , sure they would have something you could use.

Since using a lawn and garden tractor. You may want to have a pole bolted to the rear hitch and place the stove or flashing light on top of the pole.

·
Registered
570 Posts
No matter where you go (unless you spend the BIG bucks for "Made in the USA") you're more likely to be buying something from a "other" country. I've done a bit of research for my use.

Being as I have a 3PH installed (removed for winter), I would make a pole from PVC Electrical conduit, and connect it to the top implement pin.
(Buy a 10ft stick of pipe)
One short piece of pipe to slide over the pin, a 90° elbow, and cut the rest of the pipe as necessary to be above my head while in the seat. A piece of metal plate on top, and a magnetic light. A couple zip-ties for the wires, and plug-in, to the 12v power port to the right of the seat.

Demonstration
Where to buy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts