Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 z920M ... preparing to sharpen the blades… Which way does the blade bolt loosen? righty tighty lefty loosely or reverse?

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
All of them I have worked with, not this model, have been normal RH threads.

Reactions: PJR832 and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
2018 z920M ... preparing to sharpen the blades… Which way does the blade bolt loosen? righty tighty lefty loosely or reverse?
Lefty-loosey

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man I hope you guys are right I’ve been hacking away at this thing for hours and she is not moving!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Are you using an impact wrench? Tried spraying PB Blaster or Kroil on the bolts?

Reactions: Yellow seat

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
nope sadly just a breaker bar - sprayed pb on it but it’s beaten me today. - tomorrow I’ll try again.
The manual says 90 FT-LB.

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
Ya but that requires spending 100 bucks on something I’ll use once or twice a year ...
Once you have one you'll likely use it on more than just your mower blades.

·
Premium Member
1025R, '30 Ford, '08 Range Rover Supercharged, '63 MGB, '92 300ZX twin turbo, '73 Courier 2.3 turbo
454 Posts
Ya but that requires spending 100 bucks on something I’ll use once or twice a year ...
Get a battery powered one at Harbor Freight. Not industrial, but it'll do what you need it for.

Reactions: farmer52

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,374 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
nope sadly just a breaker bar - sprayed pb on it but it’s beaten me today. - tomorrow I’ll try again.
Use a cheater pipe with that breaker bar..

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Get an impact gun!!! You'll be removing and sharpening your blades again, and again, and ...... ALWAYS use a 6 point socket no matter what method, and if you do get an impact gun, get an impact rated socket!

Be 100% sure of correct rotation with a breaker bar. When underneath, lefty loosen or counter-clockwise, but when looking down from the top loosen becomes clockwise!!
Try this: Set your ratchet to loosen with socket pointing away from you. Now, turn ratchet so socket is facing you, hold socket, and now see which way ratchet turns! Bob

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
18,093 Posts
Not sure what you are doing but for me, before getting the impact wrench. Get a piece of wood 2x4 or something larger maybe 18-24" long. Place the piece of wood to help keep the mower blade from turning . For me usually have the mower standing up, have the breaker bar handle pointed in the direction of the discharge chute. and push down on the handle. Piece of wood should keep , the blade from turning and bolt should loosen. If needed getting a long piece of pipe to put over the breaker bar.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
seriously as we have just had this discussion on GTT, get a 1/2" impact wrench.. And as stated; you will use it forever and not for just removing your mower blades.. You'll be glad you bought one. Trust us! You'll wonder why you never bought one before. (y)

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
Not sure what you are doing but for me, before getting the impact wrench. Get a piece of wood 2x4 or something larger maybe 18-24" long. Place the piece of wood to help keep the mower blade from turning . For me usually have the mower standing up, have the breaker bar handle pointed in the direction of the discharge chute. and push down on the handle. Piece of wood should keep , the blade from turning and bolt should loosen. If needed getting a long piece of pipe to put over the breaker bar.
I made myself a blade lock from a short section of exhaust pipe. I slip it over the end of the blade and it contacts the edge of the deck. It won't unexpectedly slip off like a hunk of 2x4.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,374 Posts
I made myself a blade lock from a short section of exhaust pipe. I slip it over the end of the blade and it contacts the edge of the deck. It won't unexpectedly slip off like a hunk of 2x4.
Before impact tool I'd use a big pair of vise-grips perpendicular to the blade end.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
how big Giz?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts