Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in need of some assistance, as the task I've never done before.
I'm mounting a front 4-way plow from the JD140/318 era. Type "F" fluid was the bloodline previously.
The old fluid needs to be bled out, then purge fresh (compatible with my x739) fluids through the two hydraulic cylinders.

What's the best (most effective) way to go about what I need to do?
Is it as simple as depressing both male ends and letting the fluid drain?

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Take the two QD nipples off and place the hose ends in a large bucket, then manually cycle the cylinder to push the old fluid out of the cylinder and let the hoses drain. It’s messy, but it works.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Copy that.
Thanks for the lead!

·
Registered
204 Posts
To get ahead of the curve, you might want to go ahead get them repacked while you have them off. And have the ram cleaned up if any rust is there.
Any local HYD shop can do this, or you could do the new o-ring seals in the cylinders, JD will have them or a HYD shop can get them.

·
Premium Member
10,665 Posts
Take the two QD nipples off and place the hose ends in a large bucket, then manually cycle the cylinder to push the old fluid out of the cylinder and let the hoses drain. It’s messy, but it works.
I've even taken it one step further. Once the old fluid is drained out, dump the old fluid and put a little bit of new fluid in the bucket and then cycle the ram back and forth. That will pull in new fluid and further rinse out any old that is in there. In the process you can see if there is any dirt flushed out of the cylinder.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@1010
The cylinders are good to go. No leaks, no rust.

I've even taken it one step further. Once the old fluid is drained out, dump the old fluid and put a little bit of new fluid in the bucket and then cycle the ram back and forth. That will pull in new fluid and further rinse out any old that is in there. In the process you can see if there is any dirt flushed out of the cylinder.
That was my intentions. My main concerns are getting them flushed real good and purged of air before connecting into my unit.

Thanks

Thanks everyone that responded. I appreciate it!!

·
Premium Member
10,665 Posts
@1010
The cylinders are good to go. No leaks, no rust.

That was my intentions. My main concerns are getting them flushed real good and purged of air before connecting into my unit.

Thanks

Thanks everyone that responded. I appreciate it!!
I don't think you have to worry too much about the air. That will clear up just by cycling the hydraulics a few times once connected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts