Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zerostart 3100003 is the OEM block heater that JD sells as their number AR87167, and typically has been about $87 from JD. AR87167 comes with a 1 foot cord, Zerostart comes with a 5 foot cord. The Zerostart heater has been running about $47-50 at Amazon since late summer 2018.

I just checked Amazon, they have the Zerostart 3100003 for $39.94 at the moment. For those that are needing/wanting to add a block heater to their tractor, now would be a good time to snag the Zerostart from Amazon. Get ready for winter early ! Don't forget, some applications will also require an adapter from JD to get the heater installed.

Amazon link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002UNASYS/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Also a link to a GTT thread for helpful info for the 1 series (post #4) : 1023E, 1025R 1026R Aftermarket Parts, Cross Reference, Obscure PN

·
Registered
22 Posts
Forgive Me....

PS.... check that your application requires JD# AR87167 first.
and in learning the JD parts lookup maze :banghead: where would I go to find that? I have looked all over the engine views for my model, maybe I'm missing something?
Thanks....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I bought that block heater from Amazon...thanks for the tip. It was a good deal, and a lesson on John Deere mark-up practices. I haven’t installed it yet, but it fits fine into the 1023 adapter I bought (for more than twice the price of the heater itself. :laugh:).

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and in learning the JD parts lookup maze :banghead: where would I go to find that? I have looked all over the engine views for my model, maybe I'm missing something?
Thanks....
That's the first time I've tried to look up anything for a 5075E. Wow, that's an exercise in patience.

For North America, I found 4 parts catalogs. PC11745, PC11986, PC13111 and PC4501. The first 3 show the block heater in section 30-Fuel and Air Intake, sub-section ST815596. PC4501 shows it in section 20-Engine, sub-section ST639731. For the most part, they're a challenge to find. I entered "5075E" which brings up 15 catalogs. After narrowing it down to 4 North American catalogs, I searched for the keyword "heater".

PC4501 doesn't show it as a kit, only the heater (# RE72324 $91.70) and cord (# AR50411 $20.10). The other 3 catalogs show a kit # LV150155, which is comprised of the same 2 part numbers RE72324 & AR50411 for $100.10. So the kit is cheaper.

Now the physical location on the engine. PC4501's picture shows it being located on the left side of the engine near the front, just back from the fan belts. I didn't find definitive location in the other 3 catalogs, other than they kinda give the impression that they are near that same area, but it's just a guess. To add confusion, I tried scouring the internet, and get the impression that it could be located on the rear of the block (near the firewall), left upper area.

More bad news is JDParts took away the ability to check a parts specifications, so I can't tell you anything about LV150155 kit (or RE72324, which is the heater itself). The parts specification used to be able to tell you things about bolts for example, like thread size and pitch, etc., and I was hoping it may say something about the heater, like what size the threads are. Without that, I couldn't tell you if Zerostart has an equivalent heater kit. The Zerostart catalog doesn't list one specifically for the 5075. They show a couple that look the same, but without knowing the specs of the JD, I'd be unable to tell which would work.

When you go to the JDParts catalog, try searching using your tractors serial number. It may narrow down which catalog to use in general. I say in general, as I've found that in other searches I've done, the suggested catalog may not be correct. For example, I found a lower dash cowel trim for a 2016 1025 in the 2018 catalog. I trust the drawings more than I do the listings. In other words, if a drawing doesn't look like the part in question, try a different catalog.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Above and Beyond!

That's the first time I've tried to look up anything for a 5075E. Wow, that's an exercise in patience.

For North America, I found 4 parts catalogs. PC11745, PC11986, PC13111 and PC4501. The first 3 show the block heater in section 30-Fuel and Air Intake, sub-section ST815596. PC4501 shows it in section 20-Engine, sub-section ST639731. For the most part, they're a challenge to find. I entered "5075E" which brings up 15 catalogs. After narrowing it down to 4 North American catalogs, I searched for the keyword "heater".

PC4501 doesn't show it as a kit, only the heater (# RE72324 $91.70) and cord (# AR50411 $20.10). The other 3 catalogs show a kit # LV150155, which is comprised of the same 2 part numbers RE72324 & AR50411 for $100.10. So the kit is cheaper.

Now the physical location on the engine. PC4501's picture shows it being located on the left side of the engine near the front, just back from the fan belts. I didn't find definitive location in the other 3 catalogs, other than they kinda give the impression that they are near that same area, but it's just a guess. To add confusion, I tried scouring the internet, and get the impression that it could be located on the rear of the block (near the firewall), left upper area.

More bad news is JDParts took away the ability to check a parts specifications, so I can't tell you anything about LV150155 kit (or RE72324, which is the heater itself). The parts specification used to be able to tell you things about bolts for example, like thread size and pitch, etc., and I was hoping it may say something about the heater, like what size the threads are. Without that, I couldn't tell you if Zerostart has an equivalent heater kit. The Zerostart catalog doesn't list one specifically for the 5075. They show a couple that look the same, but without knowing the specs of the JD, I'd be unable to tell which would work.

When you go to the JDParts catalog, try searching using your tractors serial number. It may narrow down which catalog to use in general. I say in general, as I've found that in other searches I've done, the suggested catalog may not be correct. For example, I found a lower dash cowel trim for a 2016 1025 in the 2018 catalog. I trust the drawings more than I do the listings. In other words, if a drawing doesn't look like the part in question, try a different catalog.

Hope this helps.
Thanks so much, you went above and beyond what I hoped for. Appreciate your effort! Now to do my homework. AS the elderly indian chief in the movie Outlaw Josey Wales said, " We shall Endeavor to Persevere"...(or something like that)......:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I bought that block heater from Amazon...thanks for the tip. It was a good deal, and a lesson on John Deere mark-up practices. I haven’t installed it yet, but it fits fine into the 1023 adapter I bought (for more than twice the price of the heater itself. :laugh:).
More investigation required on my part. I’ve studied the service manual, I’ve seen the one video on YouTube, and read the one post here on GTT on block heater installation on a 1023E...none are very illustrative. I understand the process (it’s pretty simple) but in my preliminary inspection I haven’t found where to mount it yet (tight quarters). I’m assuming that it bolts on the right side of the block at the rear, but thus far, I cant see any mounting bolt holes anywhere in the vicinity of the only frost plug I can see. I’ll have to pull the FEL off and see if that gives me a better angle to inspect.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More investigation required on my part. I’ve studied the service manual, I’ve seen the one video on YouTube, and read the one post here on GTT on block heater installation on a 1023E...none are very illustrative. I understand the process (it’s pretty simple) but in my preliminary inspection I haven’t found where to mount it yet (tight quarters). I’m assuming that it bolts on the right side of the block at the rear, but thus far, I cant see any mounting bolt holes anywhere in the vicinity of the only frost plug I can see. I’ll have to pull the FEL off and see if that gives me a better angle to inspect.
On the 1023 I believe it's on the right rear of the engine, not the side. I can post a picture tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
On the 1023 I believe it's on the right rear of the engine, not the side. I can post a picture tonight when I get home.
Jeeze, that would be helpful...thanks! Everything I've read, including the John Deere service manual, details the process (which is straightforward), but skips over the rather fundamental step of..."where is it?" From the photo, it would make sense if it was on the rear face of the block. I don't recognize the orientation here, or the wiring clips, but I didn't think to look at that part of the block. I've never seen a frost plug there. Of course, I've never looked closely at any 3-cylinder Japanese diesel engine either, so....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mac

That looks like a pic from the tech manual, and yes that's correct. That big, black thing to the right of the wire loom is the firewall. Very convenient huh? :mocking:

I couldn't find the picture I thought I had in my photo gallery, but came up with a decent drawing from the parts catalog and one off the net, which is actually from here at GTT.

Part catalog, from the back of the engine looking forward, freeze plug circled:

1023e block heater location 2.jpg

From the GTT thread. Looking down at the back of the engine, standing on the left side. You'll recognize the fuel lift pump on the right, muffler at the bottom of the pic in the foreground. Arrow pointing to the heater. Here's the link to the thread it came from. WOW !!! 1023e Engine Block Heater.....

1023e block heater location.jpg

Also, in the tech manual it says to mount the adapter first then screw in the heater. I would think that with the limited space, I'd put the adapter in the vise and screw the heater in first, then mount the assembly to the engine. That's what I did on my 1025 and I have a boatload more room. It allows you to orientate the heater as you like to. Remember, don't tighten it too tight, just good and snug.

·
Administrator
17,496 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks to Ken and Kylew. I saw that post awhile ago and concluded that the installation was no big deal, but neither that one nor the one on Youtube helped me understand where the frost plug in question is located, nor did the service manual. Rear of engine facing the firewall. Huh. Now it makes sense, but not a place I would have first looked.

I'm encouraged from the post and video that it's apparently at least possible to get to that plug, but I'll know how painful it's going to be after I scope it out when I get a little time. Meanwhile, guess I'll go pick up some Cool Guard II.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Don't forget the high temp thread sealant for the heater. They had a good one at my John Deere dealer. You can pick it up with the coolant. You will also need it anytime you change the coolant for when you replace the engine drain plug.

lt1.jpg

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Well, it's all perfectly clear now...:lol:

I did the heater installation today...it was no big deal once you guys showed me where the freeze plug is. It has to be approached from the left side of the tractor, and I think you pretty much have to take the FEL off to get to it easily. The hard part was getting the freeze plug out. It takes some pretty good whacks with a hammer and there's not a good angle to approach it. I just used a a long punch coming out the left side and eventually got it to spin despite the acute angle. I pre-installed the heater into the block adapter with some sealant, put some sealant on the gasket and bolted it down with the tree cap screws, torquing to 27 N-M. As it turns out, there's plenty of room to get the hands in there to bolt up the heater/adapter and the actual attaching of the thing to the block was as easy as I expected it would be. I refilled the radiator with a gallon of Cool Guard II (the radiator didn't take the whole gallon but the extra did fit in the coolant reservoir), started it and reinstalled the FEL. Everything worked fine.

I did use the ZeroStart heater that Kylew titled the thread with. It fit the JD adapter fine and save me a few bucks, so...thanks for that.

Here's the approach to the freeze plug. The rest of the install is pretty simple.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts