Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a little time placing all my implements up off the ground. I had a bunch of leftover 6x6’s. Some of these don’t get used much and I’m paranoid of rust.:unknown:

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
All my implements are on pallets. Even my pallet forks. :good2: Not only does it keep them off the gravel and prevent rust, I can rearrange them easily. I don't have a big enough area to store them all where I can back up to each one if I stored them side by side. I'd love to have some pallet racking to store them vertically, I keep watching CL for something cheap and close.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to do that also. You can see in my picture, I have some stuff to get rid of this spring, leftovers from a kitchen remodel and last years pool. If I can get my building empty, I might be able to arrange them on pallets to where I can back into each one. But, then again, if they are on pallets, you just need pallet forks.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
I'm a pallet guy for storage also. Pallets are free and easily moved with a set of forks. Commercial shelving off Craig's List would be good.

I needed scaffolding anyhow so I have implements on scaffolding which easily moves around the shop on wheels. Forks are stored in the box blade pallet on the second level. With 4 x 4'" ramps I can quick connect the tiller from the tractor, on or off.

13-In Place.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,865 Posts
I enjoy these threads about implement storage, but I need to construct the building first. :banghead:
However, all of my implements are stored on pallets to keep them off the ground. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Pallets for me also - some under the pavillion/equipment shed and some outside.

Pallets are very hard to come by around here. There is a fairly big pallet rebuilding place in town who pays businesses for them. The only place I can get any are at Tractor Supply - I’m allowed to take what I want from the really broken ones by the dumpster. Some aren’t so bad that I can fix them to work well enough.

Having forks has changed how I do a lot of things.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have gravel floor in my building, so no rolling anything. I did think about some kind of heavy duty metal shelving connected to my walls. That would leave the middle of my building empty. This building was built by the previous owner for his RV. Nice, high ceiling. Would like to run power to it and concrete the floor. Just need money first. Still looking.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
I enjoy these threads about implement storage, but I need to construct the building first. :banghead:
However, all of my implements are stored on pallets to keep them off the ground. :thumbup1gif:
Indeed! Before I built the shop I stored on pallets covered by a tarp. It worked well except with pasture critters I had my challenges.

Rolling scaffolding would be ideal, but with the size and weight of the implements for my 5055E it would be pretty sketchy.Not even thinkable without concrete flooring, like my building currently is.
The scaffolding in the picture is rated at 1100lbs. The tiller and box blade are in the 350lbs each range if I remember correctly. So with larger/heavier implements it would be a DIY project . . . something like 4 x 4" post in concrete with 2 x 4" cross members and bolted to the wall.

All my implements are on pallets. Even my pallet forks. :good2: Not only does it keep them off the gravel and prevent rust, I can rearrange them easily. I don't have a big enough area to store them all where I can back up to each one if I stored them side by side. I'd love to have some pallet racking to store them vertically, I keep watching CL for something cheap and close.
:bigthumb:

Pallets are very hard to come by around here. There is a fairly big pallet rebuilding place in town who pays businesses for them. The only place I can get any are at Tractor Supply - I’m allowed to take what I want from the really broken ones by the dumpster. Some aren’t so bad that I can fix them to work well enough.

I get a good pallet with every ton of livestock feed and wood pellets. Probably 8 to ten per year. Next time I go for feed I'm taking a load back and see if I can get a $2 - $3 dollar credit for each one as the supplier has to buy them anyhow. "Having forks has changed how I do a lot of things." . . . absolutely :thumbup1gif:, I love having them.

I have gravel floor in my building, so no rolling anything. I did think about some kind of heavy duty metal shelving connected to my walls. That would leave the middle of my building empty. This building was built by the previous owner for his RV. Nice, high ceiling. Would like to run power to it and concrete the floor. Just need money first. Still looking.:unknown:
Power, concrete floor . . . heaven sent. :laugh: And a radiant heater. :thumbup1gif: . . . I just need a recliner and a big screen TV on the wall.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Cement floor would be nice Yank. I have a 24X35 for my accessories now and a 2 car attached garage that I have my 2 tractors in. But next summer when I retire we are giving up a rented storage shed and moma wants to bring the vette home so next winter one of the tractors will end up in the unheated 24X35. Such is life.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I have an open pole shelter, it's previous life was for drying peanuts. Pallets are a must for storing implements on the racks. I found my racks on Craig's list.

Sorry about the picture quality. Barry
What a great shed and setup!

Your pic is just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
It’s nice and open and plenty of room. My built in pool will be wrapped up early spring and than I will do a pole barn. I would also like to get some nice shelving.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
Spent a little time placing all my implements up off the ground. I had a bunch of leftover 6x6’s. Some of these don’t get used much and I’m paranoid of rust.:unknown:
Me too, I even put stuff on 2x6's on the concrete floor.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
I have an open pole shelter, it's previous life was for drying peanuts. Pallets are a must for storing implements on the racks. I found my racks on Craig's list.

Sorry about the picture quality. Barry
Wow - what a fantastic setup! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

So I got lucky with my pallets. My buddy sodded his yard so I took all his sod pallets. It wasn't worth it to him to do a 60+ mile round trip to take them back and get $1 or 2 for return. He then also went to Ohio to help his Dad downsize and move from the small acreage he lived on and he brought back about 16 plastic pallets.

If you are the type to cruise by estate sales/auctions for farms I would go by there and see if they have any. Also if you are near any type of Army Reserve center or National Guard Armory I would ask them, they are normally looking to get rid of pallets from the shipments they receive.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I figured this was a good spot for these pictures. Before I mentioned I need to store stuff "in line", and one of the things that was a pain was forks and bucket. If you have one or the other on, you need to set one down beside the other, doubling the storage space because you always have one empty spot. Unless you go vertical. So today I got a free used wire spool, and solved that issue. I can store my forks on the bottom, the bucket on top, and switch between the two easily or leave them both if I want to use my FEL mounted plow. I can carry the spool with the forks or just tip it over and roll it around.

:bigthumb:

It's plenty stable for me, for the small tractor guys it would be even better. That spool is about 30" tall, 35" inches across the big end and 17" across the middle spool.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow - what a fantastic setup! :bigthumb:
And a whole barn full of good looking implements too. Looks like you have everything you need!

Reactions: PJR832
1 - 19 of 19 Posts