Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, if anyone here can help I will be most thankful!
I have a 4110 tractor with a FEL and a snowblower on the back. I tried to move the bucket this afternoon and had hydraulic fluid go everywhere. There are 4 steel lines that run under the tractor to the bucket and one has rusted through. This is where it gets interesting. JD has 3 of the 4 lines in stock and the one on back order is the one I need. Of course.......
Does anyone know of a resource that might have these lines in stock? This is my primary machine for snow handling and this is totally the wrong time for it to be down! Of course. I think Murphy works for JD!
Again, any thoughts for after market or anything are appreciated.
By the way, it's only $450 for these four oversized brake lines.......馃ズ
Thanks!

Registered
Pete,

Can you splice in a section of steel line in the area where it is rusted through? Use compression fittings and ream any ridges out of the line cuts.

Dave

Administrator
The dealer should be able to do a national search to see if any dealer has its in stock.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. As I examine the lines, I see now that I should have replaced them in the fall. 20/20 hindsight. Splicing is a thought, but I am afraid to mess too much with the other lines and these are real close together! As for the dealer search, Dan at Hall equipment in Windham, ME is trying it in the morning. I am hoping that as long as I can lift the bucket (it's the rotation on the bucket that leaks) maybe I can still use the snow blower as it runs off the PTO in the back.

Registered
In the larger metro areas you should be able to find someone who makes hard lines....I would ask at the dealer or ask at a auto parts store that does flexible lines who does custom hard lines (probably significantly less cost than jd lines)...if your in a bind have a flex line made for temporary while you wait...

Registered
Honestly if I were you in this scenario, I would have some regular flexible lines made, install them in place of the metal lines, and just make sure they are tied up and out of the way.

Registered
Folks, if anyone here can help I will be most thankful!
I have a 4110 tractor with a FEL and a snowblower on the back. I tried to move the bucket this afternoon and had hydraulic fluid go everywhere. There are 4 steel lines that run under the tractor to the bucket and one has rusted through. This is where it gets interesting. JD has 3 of the 4 lines in stock and the one on back order is the one I need. Of course.......
Does anyone know of a resource that might have these lines in stock? This is my primary machine for snow handling and this is totally the wrong time for it to be down! Of course. I think Murphy works for JD!
Again, any thoughts for after market or anything are appreciated.
By the way, it's only $450 for these four oversized brake lines.......馃ズ
Thanks!
MaineP- If you have a local parts store, they may have the materials and fittings to replace your hydraulic lines.

Brian

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
A pet peeve of mine is people who start threads and never close the loop. So here goes. I spent several hours on the phone with folks who make these kind of hydraulic lines trying to find someone who would do it. I'd have to pull the lines from the machine for them to copy because JD would not part with any kind of spec sheet. Just the diagram for the parts list. No joy. So I switched and started looking at flexible lines instead of the steel lines, as JohnH123 suggested. Close, but no joy there either. Seems the banjo bolt setup that JD used to connect to the control hub is a JD only part. Several people offered to try to develop something, but I pushed that to the back burner. That's desperation in my book and should be the last gasp. Finally, Dan at Hall Equipment, a JD dealer in Windham, called me back and indicated that he had tracked down all 4 lines. They're coming from the West coast, Atlanta and Northeast, but we found them. He said that he'd had to pay a little more for the ones coming from the other dealer as opposed to JD directly, but he could have everything in house by Tuesday next week. Total bill is going to be about $475.00 by the time the dust settles. Dan is an old school parts guy and knows which rocks to turn over to find what he needs. How do you say thanks for that? The alternative was backorder with JD and I'm guessing that it would be up to my grandchildren to get them when they arrived.....
I had the funny thought that it would probably be easier to get parts for a 50s or 60s vintage machine than my 2004.
The race is on to get the new lines on and the machine back in service before the next big snow dump happens!!!
Thank you all for the thoughts and encouragement.
Pete

Registered
I would suggest making sure the lines are painted, undercoated, or something like POR-15. My tractor is too new for this to happen yet but the brake lines on my vehicles go bad. One reason they call this the rust belt.

Registered
Just a brand difference comment...my caterpillar equipment all hydraulic lines have a aluminum zip tie type tag that has all the information needed to build or replace that line...jd could learn a thing or two...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts