Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well our trip home started with picking up a sharp rock.
IMG_4046.jpg

No problem, just put in a quick plug and get to a tire shop asap, closest was about a 1 hour drive so go slow right?
IMG_4049.jpg

To me plugs on highway tires should be considered temporary, especially on these little 12" tires. Here is why; the plug let go, lost air faster than I could notice, the tire overheats, and BANG!!
IMG_4075.jpg

The anti sway on the F150 worked great, I maintained good control and fortunately had enough shoulder to pull over as far as possible, this should be okay. Then the "O CRAP" moment hit... I never packed my wheel wrench for the trailer. The truck wrench was too big. Did you ever change a tire with vise grips and a crescent wrench??
IMG_4055.jpg

I got three of the four bolts loosened then I had to make shims from a utility knife for the truck wrench to shrink it down to a 3/4" to loosen the last one. Sheesh! Anyway, we got the spare on reasonably tight with my vise grips and crescent wrench good enough to take it slow to the next town.
IMG_4076.jpg

Made it to Cochrane outside of Calgary and had two new tires put on, (they were due for replacement soon anyway). Oh, I did buy a wheel wrench there too.

Home late yesterday, but still smiling. Thankful for where all this happened given the mountain roads we were on and all.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,078 Posts
Ok, I was impressed with the Vise-Grips and crescent wrench deal then you went over the top with the shim deal. :thumbup1gif:
Actually, I would have done the same thing. :lol: :hide:

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I was impressed too. I would have called Road Service. :hide:

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts