Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As always happens you find a good dog food and a few years latter a big guy buys them and trashes the product to drive profits.

Our one pup is poultry sensitive so for years we have used a Blue Buffalo food that had no chicken / poultry products. Well the front of the bag still says that. Bud started breaking out with red sores on his belly and we were trying to figure it out.

Hence we looked at the ingredients we had not looked at in years only to find our friends at General Mills have trashed the food. I guess Turkey meal is not a poultry meal and chicken fat is not a chicken product.

Now we have to find a food he can eat again and that hopefully the company isn’t sold for the years he has left.

28937976-D9F1-491B-8BA0-56AF1BF53AC9.jpeg

9E2E8B33-57C0-462D-ADE8-A60677B2CF2D.jpeg

·
Registered
715 Posts
As always happens you find a good dog food and a few years latter a big guy buys them and trashes the product to drive profits.

Our one pup is poultry sensitive so for years we have used a Blue Buffalo food that had no chicken / poultry products. Well the front of the bag still says that. Bud started breaking out with red sores on his belly and we were trying to figure it out.

Hence we looked at the ingredients we had not looked at in years only to find our friends at General Mills have trashed the food. I guess Turkey meal is not a poultry meal and chicken fat is not a chicken product.

Now we have to find a food he can eat again and that hopefully the company isn’t sold for the years he has left.
In general, food safety and quality is taken very seriously by EU and NA food manufacturers and ingredient suppliers, including animal feed. Not so with anything from a good chunk of Asia, especially China and India.

General Mills is a supplier that cares about taking care. I would call them and ask. That doesn't seem right. It's not like turkey meal and chicken fat don't contain poultry proteins (which is what triggers the allergy).

Al

·
Registered
616 Posts
Can you get Blue Seal where you are? They make an awesome series of food products for dogs called Entrust. Amazon carries them, but they get $10/bag more than my feed store sells it for. Chewy likely carries it as well, but I'm sure their price is also up there as either has to pay shipping. We have 6 large breed dogs and have been feeding them this for years. My guys seem to like the Pork and Barley recipe best. They also have a reward program, if you buy 12 bags and save the UPC and send them in, you will get a coupon for a free bag. We go thru 3-4 bags a month. Good Luck!
EnTrust Dog Foods - Blue Seal

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

View attachment 670750

View attachment 670752
You know what really grinds my gears? This. Hope your pup is alright. :good2:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Chicken Byproduct Meal - Consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Chicken byproducts are much less expensive and less digestible than the chicken muscle meat.The ingredients of each batch can vary drastically in ingredients (heads, feet, bones etc.) as well as quality, thus the nutritional value is also not consistent. Don't forget that byproducts consist of any parts of the animal OTHER than meat. If there is any use for any part of the animal that brings more profit than selling it as "byproduct", rest assured it will appear in such a product rather than in the "byproduct" dumpster.

Poultry Byproduct Meal -
Take the above description for Chicken and change the words Chicken to Poultry and you have the exact same thing. Essentially, it's the poorly digestible "everything other than meat and Protein" parts of the animals. It's the head, feet, intestines and even feathers, in "acceptable amounts for factory production standards".

Essentially, it's all the left over parts of the chicken that aren't meat..........The "by-products" has very little nutritional value and it's much tougher to digest. The term "byproduct" basically means "parts which aren't normally eaten"........they are filler parts.

Clearly, the food companies view the "Chicken and Poultry Byproducts" as very different than the actual protein meats of the animal. So, when they are stating they don't have " Chicken and Poultry Byproducts", they are not claiming they don't have Chicken or poultry contents, they are saying they don't have the "Byproducts" which are poorly digested and serve as filler agents and lack nutritional value.

I think when most people think of no Chicken or Poultry Byproducts, they think it means not chicken or poultry in the product. Instead, it's saying we don't put the ground up beaks, peckers and feathers in this brand of dog food, we save that for the "Non premium brands".

What they should say is "Contains only chicken or poultry meat protein products", not ground up parts and pieces, etc.

Human equivalent think Boneless skinless Chicken Breast verses Chicken Nuggets which are parts and pieced pulverized and pressed into patties.......cut into nuggets. just imagine what Burger king is selling for 10 nuggets for a dollar or whatever their promotion recently was.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I worked for companies supplying ingredients for human health & nutrition and animal feed for a couple decades. As a multiple dog owner this thread got me thinking.

Pet food manufacturers in the US are regulated by the FDA and covered, in part, by 21 CFR 113. This requires the adoption of cGMPs. The FDA also governs product labeling, and sets nutrition, purity and quality standards for animal food.

Human allergens that are closely scrutinized are dairy, gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish and soy. This is only a partial list of known allergens and were chosen because of their ubiquity, percentage of the population that is sensitive to them and the severity of reactions. Many other things (e.g. my son is allergic to bananas) can cause reactions. Some ingredients are treated as allergens (non GMO, non Kosher, non Halal) because you should handle and store them with the same care as "real" allergens as a courtesy to your customers. Pet foods are not required to list potential allergens on the label and, if they did, they would probably be the same as the human list above owing to the potential for cross contamination in the household with children's possible exposure to them.

While labeling includes EVERYTHING printed on the product packaging, the important thing for consumers who are at risk is the nutritional information (if present - required if product is for human consumption) and ingredient list (required on everything by law). You need to know the ingredients that may contain allergens.

Interesting fact: Highly refined peanut oil is NOT an allergen because the refinement removes all traces of peanut proteins.

Al

·
Registered
513 Posts

View attachment 670750

View attachment 670752
My wife and I used to have a dog with food allergies. A friend recommended a food called 'Solid Gold'. It worked really well. The dogs sores healed up and she loved the food. It has evolved a little since we were buying it but I think that you might find something Bud will like on their website. In case you are interested here's the link, https://www.solidgoldpet.com/product-category/dog-food/ Failing that I'd check with your Vet to see if he has some suggestions.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Merrick was a good food until about five years ago when they got acquired and the recipe changed. The new owners publicly claimed no changes, but my dog's digestive tract stated otherwise.

From there, I tried Blue Buffalo but the pups didn't much care for it.

I went on to Wellness brand and feed them the Core product now which is Grain Free. You could look at one of those to see if they have an appropriate recipe. My terrier has food allergies / sensitivities and the Wellness cleared her skin up quickly.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the feedback. The local Feed & Supply has a huge pet food area, or tractor trailers of poultry food. They did not have Blue Seal but they do carry Zignature which looks like what we will go with. It is back to what Blue Baffalo used to be with zip, nada, zilch for any poulty products in a couple of thier foods.

Transitioning to a new food is always fun. We may leave the Brittany on the current food and just transition the Catahoula who has the poultry sensitivity. The Brittany is an old guy and is starting to have problems getting around. The move to the new house will be a big change for him let alone a new food.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. The local Feed & Supply has a huge pet food area, or tractor trailers of poultry food. They did not have Blue Seal but they do carry Zignature which looks like what we will go with. It is back to what Blue Baffalo used to be with zip, nada, zilch for any poulty products in a couple of thier foods.

Transitioning to a new food is always fun. We may leave the Brittany on the current food and just transition the Catahoula who has the poultry sensitivity. The Brittany is an old guy and is starting to have problems getting around. The move to the new house will be a big change for him let alone a new food.
We feed our working GSD's Zignature. Great product. They don't have any allergies but love the food. A bit pricey per lb but hate to think about what's in other cheap dog food.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Can you get Blue Seal where you are? They make an awesome series of food products for dogs called Entrust. Amazon carries them, but they get $10/bag more than my feed store sells it for. Chewy likely carries it as well, but I'm sure their price is also up there as either has to pay shipping. We have 6 large breed dogs and have been feeding them this for years. My guys seem to like the Pork and Barley recipe best. They also have a reward program, if you buy 12 bags and save the UPC and send them in, you will get a coupon for a free bag. We go thru 3-4 bags a month. Good Luck!
EnTrust Dog Foods - Blue Seal
For the record, we pay $39/40lb bag for Entrust.

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
The choices of dog food out there is daunting. How do you choose?

When we got Jake it was our first time with a smaller high energy dog. He is a Border Collies mix - no idea of the mix part but he acts exactly as I have read about.

For the last 27 years we had Mastiffs. They were a very low energy dog - had to watch the protein amount as too high was not good for them.

So I began the task of choosing a food for Jake when we first got him 2 years ago as a puppy. I read all I could find in the internet - after hours of research I know I only scratched the surface.

My first elimination was to not get a dog food that was heavily advertised. I don’t buy anything like that - I don’t want to pay towards the millions of dollars spent on advertising.

My only local choices to buy dog food are Walmart and Tractor Supply. I didn’t like any of Walmart’s offerings. At Tractor Supply their house brand 4 Health got some pretty good reviews. But the name bothered me - just the way I am - using the number 4 instead of “for”. 4 Health is made by Diamond Pet Foods. So I tried a plain version of their puppy food.

I know to make the food change transition slowly which I did over a 10 day period. But he was having increasing loose stools so I knew it wouldn’t work.

It was time for his first vet appointment a week after we got him. I explained my experience with the vet. They gave me a big sample bag of Hill’s Science Diet puppy food. Now I thought oh great - they are going to push this brand because they are a distributor. But in the end I tried it and all was well.

Tractor Supply does carry Science Diet but their inventory is hit or miss but it is regularly available online from Amazon, Chewy, etc.

I really like the idea that it is made in the USA.

When he was one year old we transitioned him to adult food - Adult Advanced Fitness. He seemed to do well on that but noticed him grazing a lot and yacking about once a day. The vet said he may have a sensitive stomach or something is bothering it. So I thought I would try their Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin formula. Success! It’s been a year now and he does really well.

Also, Jake is kind of a finicky eater. I don’t think it is a lack of appetite but an issue with focus or distraction. If anything moves in the house or he is focused on something else he won’t eat. Sometimes he will go 2 days without eating. He has his food available to him from 10am until we out it away when we go to bed.

The Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin costs $52 for a 30# bag. I have found that the manufacturer fixes the price as it is the same price everywhere. Occasionally they will allow a 15% discount - I will stock up on a few bags then as the food I get is dated 18 months ahead.

I’m glad I found a food that is agreeable with Jake and not outrageously expensive. Hill’s has what seems to be dozens of varieties that treat different disorders including prescription based foods. It’s nice knowing that if he does come down with an allergy or other food issue that I will be able to stick with the same brand even if it is prescription based.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Chicken Byproduct Meal - Consists of the dry, ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered chicken, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines -- exclusive of feathers except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices.

Chicken byproducts are much less expensive and less digestible than the chicken muscle meat.The ingredients of each batch can vary drastically in ingredients (heads, feet, bones etc.) as well as quality, thus the nutritional value is also not consistent. Don't forget that byproducts consist of any parts of the animal OTHER than meat. If there is any use for any part of the animal that brings more profit than selling it as "byproduct", rest assured it will appear in such a product rather than in the "byproduct" dumpster.

Poultry Byproduct Meal -
Take the above description for Chicken and change the words Chicken to Poultry and you have the exact same thing. Essentially, it's the poorly digestible "everything other than meat and Protein" parts of the animals. It's the head, feet, intestines and even feathers, in "acceptable amounts for factory production standards".

Essentially, it's all the left over parts of the chicken that aren't meat..........The "by-products" has very little nutritional value and it's much tougher to digest. The term "byproduct" basically means "parts which aren't normally eaten"........they are filler parts.

Clearly, the food companies view the "Chicken and Poultry Byproducts" as very different than the actual protein meats of the animal. So, when they are stating they don't have " Chicken and Poultry Byproducts", they are not claiming they don't have Chicken or poultry contents, they are saying they don't have the "Byproducts" which are poorly digested and serve as filler agents and lack nutritional value.

I think when most people think of no Chicken or Poultry Byproducts, they think it means not chicken or poultry in the product. Instead, it's saying we don't put the ground up beaks, peckers and feathers in this brand of dog food, we save that for the "Non premium brands".

What they should say is "Contains only chicken or poultry meat protein products", not ground up parts and pieces, etc.

Human equivalent think Boneless skinless Chicken Breast verses Chicken Nuggets which are parts and pieced pulverized and pressed into patties.......cut into nuggets. just imagine what Burger king is selling for 10 nuggets for a dollar or whatever their promotion recently was.
This is all really useful, so be careful not mix up terms...

Chicken Byproduct Meal is generally useless filler while Chicken Meal is highly concentrated in chicken proteins and actually more nutritious than "just chicken." In the same way that Chicken Meal is better nutritionally, it has a very high concentration (compared to chicken) of proteins. So, no allergy relief if chicken proteins bother your pup.

As with everything, be sure to know the details... :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
we use halo brand food for our cats because its one that we could find that had no meat meal products just natural meat and vegetables :bigthumb: with over 20 cats we go thru 4-5 bags a month and we found the cheapest place was chewy.com at just over 40 a bag and with free shipping we have it auto shipped every month

All Natural, Non-GMO Dog Cat Food | Halo, Purely for Pets

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I’m going to suggest trying Purina Pro Plan.

Some experts are going to say it’s not the best choice. But, when I bought my Boykin spaniel last year ,I talked to a number of breeders in my search for a new hunting companion,and found most of them were feeding Pro plan. These folks are running their dogs hard in hunt tests,hunting and other dog shows. So, I figured what the pros are feeding their hard working dogs would be fine for my weekend hunting dog.

Nowadays, many people treat their pets better than kids. So there is lots of money to be made selling pet food. Which is why there is so many different brands of dog food on the market. Some people thing more expensive food is got to be better. This isn’t always true.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Like CT said there are so many brands its hard to know a good choice. I started with Merrick dry and canned a few years ago but switched after they were bought out and our dog started having digestion issues.

After comparing ingredients I switched to Acana dry and Fromm Pate canned. The dog doesn't have the digestion issues any more. :good2:

Except when she finds a pan of cat food to pig out on, or when my kid leaves a box of chocolate on the bedroom floor, or the bag of twizzlers that were left on the lamp table by the couch.....! :banghead:

ETA...I also compared prices to keep is within budget....there is some high $$$ food out there!! :gizmo:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I'm a little late to this party, but, I have home cooked or fed raw to my crew for the past 11+ years. I do not trust the pet feed companies, after the recalls due to melamine in 2007-08. And then there have been the recent recalls due to euthanasia solution being found in the feed. And let's not forget about the really recent excess Vitamin D, harming pets. Yep, more injured and dead pets, and more recalls. I think I see a recall notice each week, and sometimes several in a day. And, the recall notices for a "small number of lots" always seems to expand.

The pet feed companies can also take up to 6 months to update the ingredients on the bags. Not a good thing, if one is dealing with a pet with a health issue.

Oh, and one more thing.... If you think your pet feed ingredients do not come from China, look at the ingredients. Any added vitamin or minerals, (and every dry kibble has them, because all of the nutrition that *was* in the primary ingredients is destroyed in the processing), any added vitamins or minerals ARE sourced from China. We never learn.

"Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me."

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/why-so-many-excess-vitamin-d-recalls/

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/category/pet-food-recalls/

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/pentobarbital-champion-pet-food-and-no-uniform-enforcement-of-law/

And if you care to further research, you will find how many times in the past 2 decades, euthanasia solution, (the solution used to put animals to sleep) has turned up in certain brands of pet feed. Many of the same brands, or companies having been found in violation, multiple times. But then, the pet feed manufacturers have deep pockets and a revolving door with the FDA, so don't expect things to change.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm surprised, @farmgirl19, that you went "all in" with your statements based on some extremely light information from the referenced site.

With regard to the PreMix stuff, that entire page clearly states they are only -speculating- what "might" have caused the issues. And the original site author makes absolutely no statement about China at all. There is something in the comments where ONE person says that China is "a" source for "one" premix supplier.

Don't get me wrong... raw diet is great for most pups. But, just like food allergies from manufactured food, some pets won't do well on a homemade diet. Additionally, there is the 'problem' of not being a dog nutritionist. So, having a solid understanding of exactly what you should prepare for your own dog(s) isn't always easy.

FedEx made an announcement that they're seeing their revenues shrink globally because of the macro-economics of the trade issues and such. Maybe one thing we'll get out of all of the governmental in-fighting about trade is that more stuff will be used from our own country, including various food ingredients for us AND our pets. Wouldn't it be great if the farmers would stop growing corn to ruin our gasoline and went back to growing food for us to eat?:thumbup1gif:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Trust me, meburdick, that is not the only thing I've referenced on the topic. It was, however, the quickest way to get the info out onto the thread.

And the recalls can be verified by going to the FDA's site, if you choose to do so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts