Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, we're a bit late with spring cleaning thanks to our Ice-Apocalypse in February and then my generator project.

I've been neglecting cleaning off the grease that's been accumulating in the many pin ends on the boom and stick and Bobby was looking pretty sad and tired. I bought a gallon of super duper world's best degreaser (Zep) now 25% stronger at Lowe's to use on the hoe, I was going to spray it on with the pressure washer and let it sit for a few minutes, etc. and wash off. I mixed it at the strongest recommended concentration (20 oz/gallon) - the verdict is meh 馃槓. I sprayed the boom and stick twice and sprayed off twice with my 4,000 psi pressure washer and the grease sort of came off if I got really close to it with the spray tip.

After wasting a bunch of time with Zep, I used blue shop towels (an entire roll) and naphtha which did a great job. Mineral spirits would have worked well but I was fresh out.

Now I won't be dropping blobs of grease in the garage where I park Bobby 馃.

Registered
Were you downstreaming it with the pressure washer? If you pre-mixed it and used a downstream setup, you only got between 1:7 and 1:12 of your already diluted mixture out of the nozzle, that might explain the poor performance

Registered
John, "Clean" is good thing if that's what you want, just not my thing! I'd wipe any excess grease off with the absolute cheapest paper towels/wipes that I could find... like Walmart or Dollar Stores for a buck a roll! I would NOT use any type of solvent to help clean as this may also work into pivot points and degrade lubrication... just a tad, but degrade none the less! After wiping as much old lube off, I would re-lube to the point of seeing the lube oozing out. I would LEAVE that there! Any dirt or debris will collect on the outside of the lube and NOT find it's way inside. Wipe it off the next cleaning, re-lube, and good to go.

Again, my thoughts and how I do things! Bob

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were you downstreaming it with the pressure washer? If you pre-mixed it and used a downstream setup, you only got between 1:7 and 1:12 of your already diluted mixture out of the nozzle, that might explain the poor performance
Ah - yes I was downstreaming it. There was quite a bit of sudsy looking fluid on the parts I sprayed but I'll have to try ZEP from a spray bottle.

I was careful using the naptha, I was only wiping down the flat surfaces basically for appearances sake. I wiped off as much grease as I could before starting my cleaning adventure. I'll have to buy a few rolls of cheap paper towels to use for that instead of the blue shop towels, that's a really good idea.

Just finished lunch, now the Mule gets a cleaning.

Registered
Ah - yes I was downstreaming it. There was quite a bit of sudsy looking fluid on the parts I sprayed but I'll have to try ZEP from a spray bottle.

I was careful using the naptha, I was only wiping down the flat surfaces basically for appearances sake. I wiped off as much grease as I could before starting my cleaning adventure. I'll have to buy a few rolls of cheap paper towels to use for that instead of the blue shop towels, that's a really good idea.

Just finished lunch, now the Mule gets a cleaning.
In the future, you could try dowstreaming it straight, the max recommended mix comes out to about 1:5.4, so you will be below that, but I'd bet the results are better than what you got, which should be around 1:0.54, very diluted

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try it straight downstreaming. It did a good job on the Mule like I used it on the Bobcat but there was far, far less grease/oil on its engine - just the usual grime.

Next cleaning projects are the tractor and my F-250. The tractor is quite dirty and I have some hydraulic weeping at the diverter valves for the grapple and on the rear for the top 'n tilt.

Thanks all for the helpful tips.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Time this morning for the tractor to get a bath, I dropped the pressure washer suction thingy directly in the Zep jug and sprayed the 4720 down. The more concentrated ZEP seemed to work a bit better than with the Bobcat but not a dramatic improvement but that's just an anecdotal observation. I should make a suggestion to Project Farm on YouTube to test degreasers - that would be quite interesting. (Maybe he's done that already, I'll have to check.)

The truck is next on the list for cleaning but not today.

Say "Ahhhhhh..."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.