Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my 50 hour transmission fluid change today and when I dropped the filter a bolt came with it. It’s possible the bolt could have lodged between the filter and the frame. I can’t find where this bolt came from. I do see a couple other bolts to the left of where the filter was that are the same identical bolts. The tractor seems to run fine and everything seems to work fine also. Any ideas where this bolt came from? My thought was it could’ve been dropped in there while they were building the tractor but worst case scenario is I have a spot where that bolt fell out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
I thought maybe I could start by finding what bolts are used in the hydrostatic transmission to the left of the drive shaft and then look up where all that same bolt is used. But, the parts illustration doesn't show any bolts in those holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought maybe I could start by finding what bolts are used in the hydrostatic transmission to the left of the drive shaft and then look up where all that same bolt is used. But, the parts illustration doesn't show any bolts in those holes.
I appreciate the help! This bolt is numbered specifically. I checked out a bolt under the seat that looked similar but it was a different letter / number code.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
I appreciate the help! This bolt is numbered specifically. I checked out a bolt under the seat that looked similar but it was a different letter / number code.
It appears to simply be a TVS brand Grade 10.9 metric bolt. That is similar to a SAE Grade 8 bolt.

Can you measure the diameter of the bolt (not the hex head)?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It appears to simply be a TVS brand Grade 10.9 metric bolt. That is similar to a SAE Grade 8 bolt.

Can you measure the diameter of the bolt (not the hex head)?
The diameter is 9 mm and the length not including the hex head is 30 mm

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
It's very odd the bolts in the picture don't appear to be painted and that's usually an important clue as to where they might have come from. Black Painted bolts are in the components from the factory, such as the rear end assembly. Bolts which are NOT painted, are often added on items at the dealer, etc.

Is the bolt you found painted black? It doesn't appear to be in the first photo and I can't really tell in the second photo. Plus, its a cap screw with the shouldered head, which is typical of many of the rear case bolts........

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Your picture where there are bolts on the left side of the driveshaft and no bolts in the same holes on the right side of the driveshaft (as it appears in the photo) the right side tapped holes appear to have clean threads, as if there were bolts in those holes. That's unusual appearing as well......

I agree with Jay in the question about why those bolts are shown in your photo on the left side of the driveshaft (the bolts which you highlighted and drew arrows to) and they appear to NOT be painted, which leads me to question when they were added.

It's very uncommon to find bolts in the rear main assembly on a new tractor which are not painted from the factory, unless someone has added something or had it apart. Even once it is disassembled the bolts still should have some paint on them.

Were there any options or accessories added to your tractor at the dealership? I am wondering if the bolt you found is a bolt which was dropped during some other procedure of installation at the dealership and when they didn't locate the bolt (assuming it was trapped between the filter and the rear end assembly) they simply got another bolt and finished.........and you found the bolt when the filter was removed.

That's why whether or not the bolts are painted is important in determining the source of the bolt.

·
Super Moderator
2,242 Posts
It appears you have the mechanical lift for the mower deck. Check the 5 bolts in this picture....items #2, 3 & 4.
#4 is listed as being M8x30, but it appears to be installed, as I think I see it in your picture, to the left of the seat.
#3 is M12x50. I doubt it's that one as the bolt you are questioning is shorter.
#2 is M10x25, qty 3. It's close to the size you mentioned.

If the tech was installing one of these bolts, they could have dropped one and it fell into where you found it.
Honestly, I doubt if it's one of these bolts but it's worth looking at. Looking in the area of the lift linkage you might stumble across something.

Mechanical lift linkage 2.png

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's very odd the bolts in the picture don't appear to be painted and that's usually an important clue as to where they might have come from. Black Painted bolts are in the components from the factory, such as the rear end assembly. Bolts which are NOT painted, are often added on items at the dealer, etc.

Is the bolt you found painted black? It doesn't appear to be in the first photo and I can't really tell in the second photo. Plus, its a cap screw with the shouldered head, which is typical of many of the rear case bolts........
Sulley, all these bolts are shiny metal...none painted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your picture where there are bolts on the left side of the driveshaft and no bolts in the same holes on the right side of the driveshaft (as it appears in the photo) the right side tapped holes appear to have clean threads, as if there were bolts in those holes. That's unusual appearing as well......

I agree with Jay in the question about why those bolts are shown in your photo on the left side of the driveshaft (the bolts which you highlighted and drew arrows to) and they appear to NOT be painted, which leads me to question when they were added.

It's very uncommon to find bolts in the rear main assembly on a new tractor which are not painted from the factory, unless someone has added something or had it apart. Even once it is disassembled the bolts still should have some paint on them.

Were there any options or accessories added to your tractor at the dealership? I am wondering if the bolt you found is a bolt which was dropped during some other procedure of installation at the dealership and when they didn't locate the bolt (assuming it was trapped between the filter and the rear end assembly) they simply got another bolt and finished.........and you found the bolt when the filter was removed.

That's why whether or not the bolts are painted is important in determining the source of the bolt.
I did not want the MMM when I ordered my tractor. Unless they shipped it with one and the dealer took it off I can’t think of anything else that might of came off upon delivery and no options were added from the factory. I usually install most of my accessories myself. I put LED work lights on it, Light guards, Ken’s Diff Lock Pedal. All them bolts have a different marking on them. This bolt isn’t painted at all as are the ones I showed in the pic.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears you have the mechanical lift for the mower deck. Check the 5 bolts in this picture....items #2, 3 & 4.
#4 is listed as being M8x30, but it appears to be installed, as I think I see it in your picture, to the left of the seat.
#3 is M12x50. I doubt it's that one as the bolt you are questioning is shorter.
#2 is M10x25, qty 3. It's close to the size you mentioned.

If the tech was installing one of these bolts, they could have dropped one and it fell into where you found it.
Honestly, I doubt if it's one of these bolts but it's worth looking at. Looking in the area of the lift linkage you might stumble across something.

View attachment 703118
Great idea, I will check that tomorrow...worth a shot!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo, but I don't seem to see witness marks on your loose bolt that show marks made by the tightening action of a drive socket? Maybe just a genuine dropped bolt during assembly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hard to tell from the photo, but I don't seem to see witness marks on your loose bolt that show marks made by the tightening action of a drive socket? Maybe just a genuine dropped bolt during assembly.
No marks on it or the other ones that I showed that were installed. If the factory has to mark them or paint them then this had to come from the dealer? Accidentally dropped in there...Not sure!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would agree with others that the bolt does not look like it was ever torqued down or installed in anything, just a loose bolt that fell in there.

Just keep it in a safe place in case you ever need it.

·
Super Moderator
2,242 Posts
No marks on it or the other ones that I showed that were installed. If the factory has to mark them or paint them then this had to come from the dealer? Accidentally dropped in there...Not sure!
Typically, the paint marks on the bolt head are to show that it's been torqued, be it dealer or factory. It's becoming more common but not all do it (dealer or factory).

·
Super Moderator
2,242 Posts
I looked at my tractor a little tonight. The 6 bolt holes I circled in orange, on my tractor are all "clean" threads inside the holes. That is, they are all shiny and don't have any paint in the threads. None of the 6 have bolts in them. Maybe the factory used those to hold the housing during the painting process? Dunno.

20190903_191644.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked at my tractor a little tonight. The 6 bolt holes I circled in orange, on my tractor are all "clean" threads inside the holes. That is, they are all shiny and don't have any paint in the threads. None of the 6 have bolts in them. Maybe the factory used those to hold the housing during the painting process? Dunno.

View attachment 703334

Thanks for checking, I’ll have to just have to keep an eye out if I run across it. For now I don’t think it went to anything and it was dropped in there at the factory.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It it's been riding on the old filter it should be some lite scuffing or wear marks on the paint, where it was vibrating/riding..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts