Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the conversion of my FEL from pin-on to SSQA I replaced the bucket. I chose a 54" bucket for dirt work. I have a 60" pin-on "Light Materials" bucket and it was good for general stuff but lacked a little when trying to heavier work. I will eventually convert it (the 60) to SSQA.

Bucket hooks are the handiest thing since sliced bread so I got some new jewelry for the new 54" bucket.

Where I chose to mount the new hooks lined up with a seam. The bucket edge rolls back underneath and the SSQA mount comes over the top.

I fiddled around with different ideas trying to avoid the seam, but didn't come up with anything that I like better than my original location.

20160216_233251.jpg

20160216_233314.jpg

Drilling through the seam took a little patience and I finished it up with a dremel.

The seam left a gap or void on the back half of the hole and I didn't want to just put the washers on and crank it down. Back to the drawing board.

I had purchased some of Kenny's blank plates that worked perfectly! They were the same thickness as the void. :good2:

I drilled the holes using the bolt on hooks as a template, put them over the bucket holes and marked where I needed to cut.

The Milwaukee Hacksall that I got around Christmas time is my new favorite metal modifier! :thumbup1gif:

I cut the hole side and then put it underneath and marked how much needed to come off of the back side.

20160216_231308.jpg

Double checked the other side, same size. I guess I got the holes in the bucket straight! :laugh:

Now with the spacer in place the bolt and washers under the nut will torque down evenly (and straight).

I put the hook on and dropped the 1 1/2" long bolts through and checked the length. If I wasn't going the use both of the USS and SAE washers Kenny provided I would have been good to go. I want the extra bearing surface of the larger washer.

Off to the bolt bin. I have ONE 2" grade 8 bolt....:banghead:

On my way home I'll stop off at the hardware store.

Not really a big deal. The hardware that Kenny provides is perfect for most applications. But there are way too many ways that these can be mounted and sometimes you have to improvise! Being an anal retentive obsessive compulsive over achiever I find that my way is usually the hard way. I try to keep the voices in my head happy. :hide:

Now I have 4 spare 1 1/2" bolts. Watch, when I need 1 1/2" bolts, I'll need 5!

BTW - I like the Zinc Chromate finish! :good2:

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
Great job RTGT :good2:

·
Premium Member
7,427 Posts
Being a little AROCOA myself I been using flange head bolts and flange nuts on my projects instead of bolts & nut w/washers. I might have had to file the holes on the hooks square and use grade 8 carriage bolts for a "cleaner" look :empathy:

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
I might have had to file the holes on the hooks square and use grade 8 carriage bolts for a "cleaner" look :empathy:
Try to find Grade 8, zinc chromate plated, 1/2"-13, 1.5" long, for a reasonable price :wink:

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Doesn't Alibaba = Chinese?

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shazam!

And all was right with the world.

I have return the power of KBOGH's to my new bucket.

At first I thought I installed a washer upside down, but on further inspection, it was good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being a little AROCOA myself I been using flange head bolts and flange nuts on my projects instead of bolts & nut w/washers. I might have had to file the holes on the hooks square and use grade 8 carriage bolts for a "cleaner" look :empathy:
Been there, done that.

Thank God that G8 carriage bolts are not available......

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Umm....

Grade 8 carriage bolts

:lol: Just tryin' to help ya. :good2:
My shrink says I don't have to listen to you.....

Really....

They make those.........

Probably too expensive......

Damn, now I need a new file. This time I'm getting one with a handle!

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts

My bet is they'll even take to the pink paint ok. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Son of a !!!!!!!!!!! (4 legged female dog)

Got a link to a square drill bit smart a$$!

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Shazam!

And all was right with the world.

I have return the power of KBOGH's to my new bucket.

At first I thought I installed a washer upside down, but on further inspection, it was good.
:good2::lol:
Looks good. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great write up rtgt. Good problem solving.

Man, whoever Kubota has designing buckets must be a heavy coffee drinker. Nothing can ever be simple with them. :laugh:
Sometimes I wonder if they don't have something extra in the coffee! :lol:

I think they have more different buckets than they do tractors! :hide:

This is my bucket. There aren't many like it, but this is my bucket.....:lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts